Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro modem stats - good or bad?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having intermittent speed issues with Digiweb Metro. Would someone that knows what these figures mean (Watty maybe?) have a look and tell me if these stats are good or bad?

Downstream
    Frequency - Power 5 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB Modulation QAM64
    Upstream
    Frequency - Power 39 dBmV
    Upstream Data Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Modulation QPSK

I'm also seeing the following errors in modem logs from time to time:

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout
    Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
    DHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response
    DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Thanks a lot,
    Justin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All the modem stats are monitored centrally.

So you don't need to worry about them. Just contact technical support.

The signal levels are excellent.

The Unicast Maintenance messages are not important. The system may periodically check the path loss, but unless it has started snowing so hard it is dark at mid-day, it's not important.

The DHCP messages usually someting to do with PC or connect router and not important.

How do you know the intermittant speed issues are Metro and not the server(s) you are connected to?

Most non-LLU DSL and almost all non-Metro wireless system users would be fairly jealous of your download and upload speeds.

I find on links faster then 3Mbps tend to be testing the speed testing host rather than the local connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Watty,

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to get reassurance that my connection to Digiweb's transmitter was good, as SNR etc mean nothing to me.

I find that the service slows down considerably during busy periods (evenings, weekends). By slow down I mean browsing speeds, and to a lesser extent, download speeds. I presume that as my link is very good this must be due to contention. I'm on Metro Plus (5mb).

I have also tried modifying my settings to use OpenDNS in addition to the Digiweb DNS servers, this seems to help a little but it's still not great.

Thanks again for the help.
    Justin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OpenDNS is slower. It's only of use if for some reason Digiweb's DNS has failed (in that case you probably don't even have a connection).

email or phone tech support with exact times & dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Cheers for the advice Watty, will give them a shout.

Advertisement