Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalled Flash, now it wont open my *.fla's

Options
  • 06-11-2007 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

I had to do a much needed make-over on my drives last week. Miraculously, practically everything (re)installed fine and is working without a hitch (in some cases, even better).

Anyway, the point of this post is that I have reinstalled Flash MX 2004, but when I try to open my projects (*.fla, ad banners) that I created in it before the reformat, it can't, showing a popup simply saying "Unexpected File Format". Can anyone suggest something?

Seanie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Did you previously have any updates or addons installed on Flash 2004? Is it exactly the same installation?

You'd normally experience that error if you were trying to open a file created with a newer version of Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Hhmm... nope, just MX 2004. Does Flash not use the .fla extension regardless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

Yes all versions use the same file extension, but the actual data in the file will vary, and older versions won't be able to open files created with newer versions.

Try it on another computer using a more recent version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I'll try and locate another machine and try that. Strange though, as I do only have the one copy of the programme... :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

If the .fla's files are yours and you did them in mx 2004 then that wont be an issue as they werent done in a different version so you can ignore the above. if you had tried to open one that was created by someone else using say flash 4 or whatever then that might be a problem. Is it the case with all .fla's have you tried to create a new one and save it and open it,your old ones might be corrupt so check a few to see. Also make sure the files are associated with flash mx 2004, try right click and say open with and then choose flash mx 2004
    Also try opening them through flash as oppose to clicking on them from windows explorer using file->open->*filename* and see if they open that way

If all else fails you could reinstall flash again, it might not have installed properly

• Advertisement
Advertisement