Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Photo Frames - explain

Options
  • 06-11-2007 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking to get one of these as a present for somebody. Can you only put your memory card into it as the source of your photos? What if you want to use photos which are on your pc and no longer on the memory card, is this possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Depends on the frame - some has a small flash memory that can store images that have been transferred via USB; however, most require a memory card left in them. Copy/tTransfer pictures back to a memory card and insert - you can pick up a cheap card on-line (mx2.co.uk - I would have said 7dayshop.com but the P&P is prohibitive)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

There are also now photo frames with built in wifi so you don't even need a memory card simply stream the photos you want from your network or home PC straight to the frame!

Just google wifi photo frame for more info!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

I have spare memory cards, but is it possible to put photos back onto a card? Would I need some sort of slot on my pc for a card, or can this be done with the card in the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

I'd be fairly sure you can do that with the card in the camera. Once the card is in the camer and it is powered up and connected via usb your PC should recognize it as a "drive"
    Open "my computer" and you should be able to see it there and transfer photos back and forth to your hearts content!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

Tried that last night. Doesn't work with either of my Canon cameras. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Does anyone actually think these are a good idea??
    Normal picture frames ftw!!!
    It crazy that in a word of ever concious about energy consumption, we still bring out devices like this and embrace them.
    Don't get me wrong... I likes me gadgets, but these things are pushing the tackyness too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 lled14

I am trying to get my head around these things myself to get a couple as Christmas presents. I find Amazon a good source of research especially customer reviews. There is a Kodak one on Amz that will read from a usb flash drive - is that one of those memory stick things? Also a Philips make that I think can be connected to your PC. You cannot buy from Amazon as they will not post to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These seem to be more of a pointless gimmick than a gadget. In a couple of years time, they'll probably be gone into oblivion when some other crap gimmick takes over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

one of the best gadgets i've ever bought imo.

got a wifi one for the folks linked to an online flikr account.

so now i and the rest of the siblings update the account from France/USA and the folks at home get a new pic everyday.

I'm hoping to give this a try after the holidays :

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/a4a95adebbf6a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.JunktopRevival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ponster wrote: »

so now i and the rest of the siblings update the account from France/USA and the folks at home get a new pic everyday.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how20/a4a95adebbf6a010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Sounds like a brilliant use for it actually!

I'd written these things off as a waste of money ... now they're just a little too expensive ... soon I'll afford one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Can anyone recommend a particular make of digital photo frame?Seen some cheap ones that have a terrible display.budget is max 150euro.Not top end i know but don't want to be left with a bad display

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

Can anyone recommend a particular make of digital photo frame?Seen some cheap ones that have a terrible display.budget is max 150euro.Not top end i know but don't want to be left with a bad display

have the same q, with about the same budget. Anyone got any advice on things to look out for? Any experiences?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have a Philips one - excellent screen and it has a timer so it's only on during the evening.

They are an excellent idea - now we get to see the pics that up to now have languished on the Mac. The kids love seeing pics of them when they were smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Same here, I got a Kodak frame for Christmas and I'm very impressed with it so far. Has Wifi access and a timer, so it's only on for a couple of hours in the evening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭coreilly1

Ponster wrote: »

Sorry for dragging up old threads, but I'm travelling soon and would like to try this idea of getting a wifi frame that can be updated with flickr for my parents.

Just Wondering Ponster where you got your wifi frame?

Thanks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I picked it up in the 'States but you can get them online in Europe but for a lot more $$$

eStarling WiFi Digital Photo Frame
    As its name suggests, this stylish frame is Wi-Fi-friendly so it can automatically link to photo sharing sites. But here's the real kicker: once you register the eStarling you get a dedicated email address so you and your photo-sharing pals can send pictures directly to the frame. No subscription fee required. Brilliant! You won't even have to lift a finger because this sleek sliver of electronic genius scans for new mail every few minutes and puts any photos it receives into rotation in a
    slideshow format.

As well as all this email jiggery-pokery, the eStarling can also pick up RSS feeds from photo-sharing sites including Picasa, Flickr, Photobucket, AOL Pictures, SmugMug, iPhoto6 and many more. This means you can type in, say, 'panto' and your frame will be scrolling through pics of forgotten BB contestants in seconds. Oh yes it will!
    http://www.firebox.com/product/1794

Advertisement