Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is bigger, -5 or -6?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

maybe this thread should be closed(frozen), before our IQ's start dropping(getting colder) any further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

eolhc wrote: »
    maybe this thread should be closed(frozen), before our IQ's start dropping(getting colder) any further

hahahaha that ws good! Cudos dude! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I am not mixing up quantity of cold with temperature.

Yes, you are. See:
    minus 6 equals...bigger quantity of cold temperature

Minus 6 is a temperature. Not the same as a quantity of heat or lack thereof.

Have you tried the experiment with the ice cube and the bucket of cold water? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i was gonna try and break from the whole explanation through cold thing and try to explain to Cheeky_gal negative numbers in terms of personal debt and it's total effect on net worth...

but then i thought better of it.

*turns and pats cheeky_gal on head while inwardly despairing for humanity.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Almost three times as many UK adults (15.1m) have poor numeracy - the equivalent of a G or below at GCSE maths - than with poor literacy skills, according to the government's Skills for Life survey.

My favourite bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

How is that retarded dude...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...
    You do realise there is no such thing as cold, right?

[edit]beaten to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Her name was "Tina". What do you expect? I can picture her now. Fake tan, blonde hair, fag in mouth pushing the pram around the council estate looking for the childs father (literally). Some names just say it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

So -5 is bigger than -6 in terms of numbers. Like 6 is bigger than 5. So that's the obvious part..

OMG. No! -5 is higher than -6. It's not bigger than it though. There's a small but important difference between "higher" and "bigger" when it comes to negative numbers.

"Bigger" is generally preceived as being relative to the number 0. The further away from 0, the bigger the number, in either direction (positively or negatively).

"Higher" on the other hand, refers to the number's closeness to infinity. -5 is close to infinity than -6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Teg Veece wrote: »
    OMG. No! -5 is higher than -6. It's not bigger than it though. There's a small but important difference between "higher" and "bigger" when it comes to negative numbers.

"Bigger" is generally preceived as being relative to the number 0. The further away from 0, the bigger the number, in either direction (positively or negatively).

"Higher" on the other hand, refers to the number's closeness to infinity. -5 is close to infinity than -6.

Thank god somebody else posted this. People have this problem with language all the time. My wife teaches adults computer applications and she comes in frustrated at how amazingly dumb people are. Many say "I just don't get maths" without ever trying all she is doing is simple Excel. You can say what you want about Americans but most can do fractions and percentages easily as they use it daily. I have met professionals unable to work out % and give really inaccurate reports as a result. Shocking that the education system fails so many but I put it mostly down to laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

'contains more cold'....lol...just lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They should have used Kelvin, or even Farenheit :)

The example used was -6 and -8 and the caller said that -6 was lower than -8 when it's not. Where people are arguing about more cold, well, thank god that scratchcard wasn't released over here, or after hours would have imploded.

astrofool wrote: »
    or after hours would have imploded.

Is an implosion bigger than an explosion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Looking back at it again, she even contradicts herself:
    "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."
    I wonder how often she makes arguments like that.

Tina: "You told me it cost £5, I tried to buy it for £4, nobody told me it costs £5"

Unpossible wrote: »

I wonder how often she makes arguments like that.

Tina: "You told me it cost £5, I tried to buy it for £4, nobody told me it costs £5"

You can't have an argument with someone as stupid as that.

Slow coach wrote:
    You can't have an argument with someone as stupid as that.
    because she is "having none of it"?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

In temperature terms, the limit of coldness is 0 degrees Kelvin or absolute zero.

There is no degree Kelvin, it's just Kelvin as Kelvin is not a scale, it's a unit of measurement.

Anyway, looking at the full article, Tina's comments were
    The 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.
    Is leaving school without a maths GCSE the same as failing maths in the leaving cert here or what? Who stupid does this make her?
    "I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."
    So if she has enough of an education to understand basic numbers, 6 is lower than 8, she's obviously not a retard or completely uneducated. She's just a thick fool.
    Is an implosion bigger than an explosion?
    An implosion of value -6 is the same as an explosion of value +6. But an explosion of value -6 would result in the collapse of the universe, so try not to do that.
    Cheeky_gal wrote:
    How is that retarded dude...think about it...minus 6 equals more cold! More cold for everyone...equals bigger quantity of cold temperature all-round...equals bigger number. It's pretty straight forward in all fairness...

I'm with you Cheeky, don't let them confuse you with their "science" and "facts". Next thing they'll be telling us that Dark Suckers don't exist :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

jor el wrote: »
    Is leaving school without a maths GCSE the same as failing maths in the leaving cert here or what? Who stupid does this make her?

GCSE would be Junior Cert level, so it would be like her failing, or not doing, Junior Cert maths.....ordinary level Junior Cert maths. (Or so I'm told!!)

I like that people like this exist, it makes me happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Tell me that was deliberate, please tell me it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

well as we all know the coefficients of cubical expansion due to heat are totally related to heat. -5 has more energy than -6. and when stuff is heated it expands. so for the same body -5 IS bigger than -6.

but it will weigh the same.

wait.. this IS the physics forum right?

oooooohh.. AH...

HER MA!! or something

EDIT- knew i forgot something. but pretty in pink got it

Rite...
    Blowfish wrote: »
    You do realise there is no such thing as cold, right? [edit]beaten to it.

No such thing as cold?? ARE YOU STUPID DUDE!? I'm cold right now due to the cold! :rolleyes:
    i was gonna try and break from the whole explanation through cold thing and try to explain to Cheeky_gal negative numbers in terms of personal debt and it's total effect on net worth...

but then i thought better of it.

*turns and pats cheeky_gal on head while inwardly despairing for humanity.

In english please?? ;)
    Slow coach wrote: »
    Have you tried the experiment with the ice cube and the bucket of cold water? :D

Haven't really found the time tbh! lol! :D
    zuutroy wrote: »
    'contains more cold'....lol...just lol
    What's so "lol" about it? It does contain more cold...:rolleyes:
    I'm with you Cheeky, don't let them confuse you with their "science" and "facts". Next thing they'll be telling us that Dark Suckers don't exist :rolleyes:

I love you! :D

Seriously, it baffles me as to how stupid some people can actually be! Did none of you get an education?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Tell me that was deliberate, please tell me it was.

:o

There's always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

:o

There's always one.

or -1 as the case may be.......

lol

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Shocking that the education system fails so many but I put it mostly down to laziness.

too often people put it down to laziness but it's not at all... it's a catch 22. you can pass an maths exam without fully understanding the subject, that's what our exam system is today. when the question says X, do Y. this applies across all levels, including third where a huge amount manage to scrap by in maths. they subsequently go on to do the Hdip, get a job teaching maths and then you have teachers who haven't a notion trying to explain this stuff to our kids (obviously this is something of an over generalisation, but it does hold for an awful lot).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

too often people put it down to laziness but it's not at all... it's a catch 22. you can pass an maths exam without fully understanding the subject, that's what our exam system is today. when the question says X, do Y. this applies across all levels, including third where a huge amount manage to scrap by in maths. they subsequently go on to do the Hdip, get a job teaching maths and then you have teachers who haven't a notion trying to explain this stuff to our kids (obviously this is something of an over generalisation, but it does hold for an awful lot).

How is that a Catch 22 (or even -22)?

I wonder what Tina would do if she was put in a room with only 2 doors to get out. Would she choose:

Door A: Brings you outside to -6 degrees C. (Tina: Oh, that sounds cold, it'll ruin my tan.)

or

Door B: Brings you outside to -38 degrees C. (Tina: Oh yes, that sounds great. That's the temperature it was last year in Playa del Ingles. I can work on my tan.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

contains more cold

Oh dear... *shakes head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

toiletduck wrote: »
    Oh dear... *shakes head*
    Indeed, I'm beginning to think Cheeky_gal is a distant cousin of Tina's...

Blowfish wrote: »
    Indeed, I'm beginning to think Cheeky_gal is a distant cousing of Tina's...

I could be Tina...

I could be Tina...

'twould explain a lot.

I wonder what Tina would do if she was put in a room with only 2 doors to get out. Would she choose:

Door A: Brings you outside to -6 degrees C. (Tina: Oh, that sounds cold, it'll ruin my tan.)

or

Door B: Brings you outside to -38 degrees C. (Tina: Oh yes, that sounds great. That's the temperature it was last year in Playa del Ingles. I can work on my tan.)
    This seems like a perfect solution, it hits -30C here in winter so we could hold the competition in Finland :) the kids can meet santa while they are here, everybody is happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

-40 is the same in Centigrade, Celsius or Farenheit
    and is way higher than 40 kelvin

-5 is higher than -6

-6 is bigger than -5 (size)

How is that a Catch 22 (or even -22)?

it isn't. my heads just fried from looking at a PC screen too much. more like a self perpetuating problem... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

-40 is the same in Centigrade, Celsius or Farenheit
    and is way higher than 40 kelvin

-5 is higher than -6

-6 is bigger than -5 (size)

Unless i'm mistaken, celsius and centigrade refer to the same scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

yeah I keep saying bigger instead of higher :D

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher and according to him, yes, you are all correct, -5 is the bigger number.

Also, checked with a science teacher and according to her, yes, once again, you are all correct, something cannot possibly "contain more cold".

So, my apologies and cudos for the learning experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher and according to him, yes, you are all correct, -5 is the bigger number.

Also, checked with a science teacher and according to her, yes, once again, you are all correct, something cannot possibly "contain more cold".

Kudos. Not cudos.

You're learning again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

:(
    *Sigh

Terry wrote: »
    Kudos. Not cudos.

You're learning again. :)

haha I am, thank you. :)
    :(
    *Sigh

Oh for the love of God what now??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That's just semantics. It depends on how you define bigger in this respect.

• Advertisement

Just a quickie to say,

I checked with an honours maths teacher...

Also, checked with a science teacher...

What? You didn't believe any of us? :eek:

There's no love for the boardsies. :confused:

Slow coach wrote: »
    What? You didn't believe any of us? :eek:

There's no love for the boardsies. :confused:

Aaaaah, theres lots of love for the boardsies dude! :D

I just had to verify it for my own sanity cuz I genuinely didn't realise there was no such thing as "containing cold" or a "bigger amount of cold"....although you were all correct, I needed the opinion of someone in the profession....

All the love,
    Cheeky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

GCSE would be Junior Cert level, so it would be like her failing, or not doing, Junior Cert maths.....ordinary level Junior Cert maths. (Or so I'm told!!)

I like that people like this exist, it makes me happy.
    I remember back at the start of the decade looking at prospectuses for universities and HE colleges both for Ireland and the UK, and unless they have changed significantally, a GCSE pass (Grade C or above) is treated as a rough equivalent to a pass (D3 or higher) in the Leaving Cert at ordinary/pass level, while an honours pass would be around the equivalent of 1/2 an A-Level, though a few institutions are weighting it more towards 2/3s more recently. AFAIK no Further Education institute in the north will accept a Junior Cert where GCSE grades of C and above are demanded for courses in its place.

As for the story itself, some student teachers who have been studying in and around Manchester & Liverpool tell me that while on placement in schools there the standard of mathematics compared to back in N.Ireland is shocking in many schools, so this doll "Tina" is no shocker to be seen coming out with this statement. It's still funny though!

altight lads, now here's a question to get the heads going...

seeing as something divided by itself is 1, (ie 3/3=1) then why is 0/0 considered indeterminate? i honestly dont know meself so dont expect an answer off me... explanations would be welcomed though.

lawhec wrote: »
    I remember back at the start of the decade looking at prospectuses for universities and HE colleges both for Ireland and the UK, and unless they have changed significantally, a GCSE pass (Grade C or above) is treated as a rough equivalent to a pass (D3 or higher) in the Leaving Cert at ordinary/pass level, while an honours pass would be around the equivalent of 1/2 an A-Level, though a few institutions are weighting it more towards 2/3s more recently. AFAIK no Further Education institute in the north will accept a Junior Cert where GCSE grades of C and above are demanded for courses in its place.

As for the story itself, some student teachers who have been studying in and around Manchester & Liverpool tell me that while on placement in schools there the standard of mathematics compared to back in N.Ireland is shocking in many schools, so this doll "Tina" is no shocker to be seen coming out with this statement. It's still funny though!

I was just going on what my English housemate told me.

I think there was a report recently that stated that Northern Irish schools were doing far better than schools in England. (I think Wales came out better too. Not sure about Scotland.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭irishfeller

-6 is the bigger number - the size of decimal numbers is measured by their distance from zero...

• Advertisement

altight lads, now here's a question to get the heads going...

seeing as something divided by itself is 1, (ie 3/3=1) then why is 0/0 considered indeterminate? i honestly dont know meself so dont expect an answer off me... explanations would be welcomed though.

I can only assume the answer to this is because...

Well, look at it this way, 0 divided by 0 is just....well, it's just not possible to do! For instance, imagine there been 0 amount of cold in a jar say, and you divided that amount of cold by 0, well, there was 0 amount of cold to begin with, so NO COLD EXISTED! Hence, it's unsolvable.

Nah, seriously, I think it's because 0 doesn't actually exist.

Joke btw...

Bet I had ya all there tho yea!? Mwahaha!

Just a quickie to say,

-6 is the bigger number - the size of decimal numbers is measured by their distance from zero...

So....the maths teacher was wrong? (I kind of noticed this but was too scared to post in case I was wrong and was then ridiculed!!)

So....the maths teacher was wrong? (I kind of noticed this but was too scared to post in case I was wrong and was then ridiculed!!)

it's more an argument over a point of definition really... before you get any idea in you're head cheeky gal it doesn't vindicate you in anyway as you're reasoning was completely flawed.

before you get any idea in you're head cheeky gal it doesn't vindicate you in anyway as you're reasoning was completely flawed.

In simpler wording?

In simpler wording?

what some people mean by "bigger" is different to what others mean by it. they are all right in a way, merely arguing over a technicality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement