Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damn punctures!

Options
  • 06-11-2007 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a set of tyres for a racer that wont puncture easily or better yet - dont puncture at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1071-schwalbe-tires-marathon-plus.html

Not cheap, very heavy and the minimum width they come in is 25, but most (if not all) road bikes should be able to accomodate 25's.

Be sure to inflate your tyres properly, otherwise snake bite punctures can result that are not the result of anything external penetrating the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Specialized Armadillos.
    Can anyone recommend a set of tyres for a racer that wont puncture easily or better yet - dont puncture at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Continental Ultra GatorSkinz. they've been good to me so far (touch wood).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Membrane wrote: »
    http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/c2-1071-schwalbe-tires-marathon-plus.html

Not cheap, very heavy and the minimum width they come in is 25, but most (if not all) road bikes should be able to accomodate 25's.

Most bike frames can probably take these tyres, as you say, but if you have mudguards on the bike they could prove to be the hurdle. Some mudguards (e.g. Esge) are actually designed for a specific range of tyre widths. The Esge mudguards that I have on my commute bike will handle up to 23mm at most, for example. (There are Esge mudguards available for wider tyres too).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Continental Ultra GatorSkinz. If you still get punctures look for another reason why. Tyres not inflated correctly. Rim tape needs replacing (if hole is on bottom of inner tube). common problem with Simano wheels. Pot holes glass, not getting your bum out of saddle or looking where your going probaly account for the majority of punctures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Specialized Armadillos.

What he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Sean02 wrote: »
    Continental Ultra GatorSkinz. If you still get punctures look for another reason why. Tyres not inflated correctly. Rim tape needs replacing (if hole is on bottom of inner tube). common problem with Simano wheels. Pot holes glass, not getting your bum out of saddle or looking where your going probaly account for the majority of punctures.

I've had the Gator Skins on my commuter for the last six months and while they're comfy & fast, i found them to be scary when it's wet (which seemed like most days this last "summer"), especially over any sort of manhole cover. Goin to swap over to the Marathons for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm going to chip in too for Specialized Armadillos, think I am well over 10k at this stage without a puncture. Bit slippy in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Continental GP 4 Season (Duraskin) only had 2 punctures in over 12k miles on two sets (still have the old ones in the shed some wear still left on them), one of them punctures was where i hit a bit stone and it pinched the tube, they're not too bad in the wet either not as good as Michelin Prorace in the wet but then i've never got more than 500 miles out of one of them tyres before a big cut appeared in it.

Heard them Armadillos are good too but heard they're hard to push !

• Advertisement
Advertisement