Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooked meat - how long should it keep?

• 06-11-2007 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has views on how long left over cooked meat (eg roast chicken, baked ham) will keep after cooking, if stored in the fridge?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Safefood recommends keeping leftovers for no more than 3 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If it's meat you've cooked yourself and there's a lot left over, it freezes really well - especially baked ham. I often freeze roast beef in gravy in a ziploc bag and it's just as nice weeks later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

If i was efficient I would freeze it. I tend to wrap it in cling film, put it in the fridge, forget about it and then throw it out a week later:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I usually go by smell or up to about five days. If i'm unsure and hungry, i'll make a stirfry or somthing with it and make sure it gets really hot before eating.
    If in any doubt though definatly wouldnt eat cold at all.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You won't always pick up a bad smell from cooked meats that have gone past their best. I'd go with 3 days personally assuming it was refrigerated properly before hand. Have a sniff too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,703 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

dudara wrote: »
    Safefood recommends keeping leftovers for no more than 3 days.

if you're a college student, double this number.

But srsly I reccomend to process the food: for example if you cooked a **** load of ham, slice it up and now you have a plate of lunch/snack meat.. and use the bone to make a soup :)

Advertisement