Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotel booking database

Options
  • 06-11-2007 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

does anybody know what is the main database system used in online hotel bookings; are all the companies using the same one, and generally any info about this or a good spot on the net to find out more.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Theres a few of them, and their very expensive. Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

www.ibooking.com may interest you, but I've no opinion on their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

thanks ... and sorry ... not really that well up on this end of the business yet

i suppose i thought that there would be a (growing) industry standard. i mean if joe soap owns a b&b and has a reservation facility on the site and at the reservation desk , then to interface that with a countrywide or worldwide accomodation booking site they would have to do ... ?? what ??

I guess from your reply that all those booking sites ( like trip advisor etc. ) must use their own proprietry systems and so an individual b&b or hotel could only be booked via one and only one of those sites.

I guess i presumed (in my ignorance :rolleyes: ) that it would be in the entire hospitality industry's intrest for most or all of the major booking sites to use the same database (either MS access or Mysql or whatever) to store their data, so that all the individual hotels and b&b's etc could do business with ALL of them. :confused:

the plot thickens !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

thetourist wrote: »
    I guess i presumed (in my ignorance :rolleyes: ) that it would be in the entire hospitality industry's intrest for most or all of the major booking sites to use the same database (either MS access or Mysql or whatever) to store their data, so that all the individual hotels and b&b's etc could do business with ALL of them.
    It would be in the hospitality industries interest, but not in the intrest of the middlemen:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Its been done to death thetourist. Look at discoverireland.ie for example. Most hotel these days uses a 3rd party booking engine, and this includes many "newer" b&b's. For b&b's without an online booking method, I find that they are just as content to handle bookings over the phone, and often don't see the point in going down the online route.

If there was easy money to be made in that industry, I'd have made it by now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Check this out...
    http://www.avvio.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

IIRC there is an Irish web company that has a special online/offline reservation system to B&Bs (does a sync when the B&B goes online). I've looked around for the site but cannot find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wenlock

Visrez are offering a free 30 day trial of their rooms & events booking engine. A complete reservations platform for the tourism, hospitality and leisure sector, it's commission-free and comes with no long-term contracts or commitments.

* hotel rooms
    * meeting rooms
    * gift vouchers
    * events
    * conferences
    * university events
    * courses
    * restaurant bookings
    * sightseeing tours

Sign up for your 30 Day Free Trial here...http://www.visrez.com/products/rooms-events-signup.shtml

Advertisement