Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forget the car

Options
  • 06-11-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Well, Ive finally decided to start cycling to work because Ive had it with being stuck in traffic and paying the M50 toll every morning. I go from Blanch to Rathfarnham every morning and it takes me the best part of 2 hours. No more queuing, burning up petrol, getting stressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The logic is inescapable.
    Well, Ive finally decided to start cycling to work because Ive had it with being stuck in traffic and paying the M50 toll every morning. I go from Blanch to Rathfarnham every morning and it takes me the best part of 2 hours. No more queuing, burning up petrol, getting stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Enjoy the ride mate, best move you'll ever make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Cheers
    Only problem now is dealing with stressed motorists!

Cheers

The best way to deal with that is to be thankful that you aren't one!

Truth. Just don't let them get wind of your gratitude or you could feel a tonne of resentment pointing in your direction.
    King Raam wrote: »
    The best way to deal with that is to be thankful that you aren't one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Cheers

you wont even notice them. And remember, take a look at the M50 everyday as you cycle over it, maybe even wave to the poor suckers, haha....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

what kind of distance are we talking about here, in miles please

Spades wrote: »
    ...in miles please

fussy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

fussy! ;)

Jesus wept

Spades wrote: »
    Jesus wept

He sure did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

good man yourself, best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Well done and I hope you enjoy it, after a few weeks you'll feel really confined and quite ridiculous if you ever do take the car!

Make sure you get proper gear for winter though. The more enjoyable the spin on the bike is more you look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Good move, but the prospect of peeling sweat-drenched spandex from my bum-cheeks on arrival at 8.00 am never appealed.

I was tempted to go down the scooter-route, but ever since I got myself a 50-mpg diesel BMW, I can sit happily in a leather seat in traffic jams listening to an audio-book.

Good move, but the prospect of peeling sweat-drenched spandex from my bum-cheeks on arrival at 8.00 am never appealed.

You only sweat if you are cycling very hard.

You only sweat if you are cycling very hard.

True - Im not interested in getting to work in 5 mins, anytime before 9am will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Make sure you get a half decent bike and get it fitted to you also. The amount of poor suckers I whiz past who are cycling crappy-ass full suspension "mountain" bikes is unreal. They bounce up and down with every pedal stroke, have their saddles way too low and hardly any air in their tyres. How people like this stick cycling I don't know.

Sounds like an unprofitable superstition to me...
    ... ever since I got myself a 50-mpg diesel BMW, I can sit happily in a leather seat in traffic jams listening to an audio-book.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    The amount of poor suckers I whiz past who are cycling crappy-ass full suspension "mountain" bikes is unreal. They bounce up and down with every pedal stroke, have their saddles way too low and hardly any air in their tyres. How people like this stick cycling I don't know.

It never ceases to amaze me. I guess they just don't care.

It never ceases to amaze me. I guess they just don't care.
    I guess it depends on how far you're going, how quickly you want to get there and your motivation for cycling - if you can't drive and don't have the money to spend on a bus/luas etc, then cycling a heap of junk a mile or 2 down the road is a lot faster than walking, not much more energy expended and a €75 "bike" quickly saves money over the bus fare.
    Wouldn't be for me though - I hate going slowly.

kenmc wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how far you're going, how quickly you want to get there and your motivation for cycling - if you can't drive and don't have the money to spend on a bus/luas etc, then cycling a heap of junk a mile or 2 down the road is a lot faster than walking, not much more energy expended and a €75 "bike" quickly saves money over the bus fare.
    Wouldn't be for me though - I hate going slowly.

I try to go slowly every morning, then I see someone up ahead who I HAVE to overtake. It's a compulsion. Maybe a little sad too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well, I did it and loved it, the amount of cars I went by with one person in each car was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

The worst thing about the cycle commute... pulling up to a red light behind a bus then have the thing spew a cloud of black smoke in you face. :mad: Hurry up electric vehicles!
    That and the rain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

kodute wrote: »
    The worst thing about the cycle commute... pulling up to a red light behind a bus then have the thing spew a cloud of black smoke in you face. :mad: Hurry up electric vehicles!
    face mask
    http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/10612/Respro-City-Msk-L-Blk/
    never looked back. terrifies pedestrians, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I really don’t mind the rain, it’s the wind that get’s me. Feels like cycling through jelly, its tough. But with the rain, you’d be no dryer or warmer waiting at a bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Well, I did it and loved it, the amount of cars I went by with one person in each car was unreal.

I abandoned the car for a bike about 6 months ago and still think it was a great move. Problem now is once a week I need the car for football, those days I hate my commute...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

kodute wrote: »
    The worst thing about the cycle commute... pulling up to a red light behind a bus then have the thing spew a cloud of black smoke in you face.

I hear that - pulled up behind a Bus Eireann coach on Bachelors Walk this morning and caught a lungful of the most acrid black smoke. Disgusting. The only downer on anotherwise exhilerating ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

... but ever since I got myself a 50-mpg diesel BMW, I can sit happily in a leather seat in traffic jams listening to an audio-book.

You're not getting that kind of mileage in traffic jams, no matter what the brochure says:rolleyes:

How long did it take you?
    macinalli wrote: »
    I abandoned the car for a bike about 6 months ago and still think it was a great move. Problem now is once a week I need the car for football, those days I hate my commute...
    I gave up too - I've to go to Leopardstown, and the traffic in the area is simply nuts. I've had a bit of a chest infection last 2 days and took the luas rather than facing the traffic, despite the car sitting outside the house. There was one day a month or so ago that I got a lift in after doing some bits n pieces, and I felt CRAP all day, cos I had breakfast without 'earning' it. Decided to walk the 5 kms home instead of taking the luas. It's wierd how you very quickly become used to the exercise, and need it.

Just under 1hr with a moderate pace. I must have counted about 100 sreaming car horns on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Well done, good decision

Advertisement