Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another VAT/VRT scenario

Options
  • 06-11-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

When someone goes to buy a brand new car in Ireland the price is made up of the cost of the car plus VRT plus Vat on the cost plus Vrt amount.

Now if I go into the garage and say I want to buy that bugatti veyron over there and the guy in the garage says ok sir, that will be €1,960,200 made up of the car which is €1,200,000 plus vrt of €420,000 and I have to charge vat on all of that at 21% which is €340,200.

So I say, ah no you're grand, I will take care of the VRT tomorrow myself when i'm in Tullamore, just give me the documents and I will pick up the car in a few days. So he says no bother, can I get a cheque for €1,452,000 which is the cost plus vat at 21% (€1,200,000 + €252,000).

So I end up paying €1,872,000 for the car instead of €1,960,200.

Now I know I have used an extreme example with the Bugatti but it should work with any car but on a smaller scale.

Can this be done?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Joeyjoejoe Jnr

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

VRT is charged as a % of the retail price. VAT is charged as a % of the pre tax price.i.e.
    Pre Tax Price -> €100,000
    VAT @21% ---> €21,000
    VAT Inclusive->€121,000
    VRT @42.9% -> €51909 (30% of the selling price is 42.9% of the price excluding VRT)
    Retail Price --->€172,909

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Why not?

Because citizens of Ireland don't have the rights they signed up for when we voted to enter the EU.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Dealer is responsible for collection and paymnent of VAT/VRT. Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unless the car is not going to be used on Irish roads (and therefore not registered).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kbannon wrote: »
    Unless the car is not going to be used on Irish roads (and therefore not registered).

Was there not a thread here recently saying that once a car is in this country it has to be VRT'ed? And you only get away without road tax if off the road

Edit -:
    Found thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055159524&highlight=vrt

and from revenue website
    When must I Register?
    If you bring a vehicle into Ireland from abroad you must register it and pay VRT by the end of the next working day following its arrival in the State.
    http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/vrt1.htm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If the car is going to be used on private property only (e.g. for racing) then revenue don't need to get their dirty mitts on it!

Advertisement