Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Translation... tips?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to get my site translated into another (spoken) language... anyone any advice? Any reputable companies people can recommend? I imagine the variance in quality to be enormous. How do I ensure quality and a "not translated" feel to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

depending on the language I may know a few people ...

my wife = French translator working for a largish translation company

Through that I've got various connections with freelancers and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Thanks Forbairt.

We're talking around 15,000 words. On one website I've seen a figure of EUR 0.06 per word. Do you think I can do better than this... or would I need to pay more for quality?

My wife = french national + 2 kids <> time to do anything :-)

She would provide the quality control though!

Alot of the stuff is repetitive though. For instance:
    "Recommended for children aged 3 years and over" occurs in pretty much every product... that's 8*160*0.06 = €76 I don't think I want to pay 76 yoyo for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Dump it into something like Trados and see what the word count is ... (it'll detect repetition of sentences and give you an accurate word count)

To be honest none of the translators I know would be doing translation for that price. They'd be charging more than 10+ cents a word ...

I know spanish will go less than 10cents ...

TBH though you get what you pay for ... the translators I know have all worked translation companies so their quality is pretty high.

15000 x .06 = 900 €

Trados gives you an accurate word count though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

I used these guys for a recent translation, they seem to be able to handle a wide range of languages. Found them efficient and fast, can't comment on the price because I did not have that much text to translate and got hit with a minimum charge.

http://www.dculs.dcu.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

• Advertisement
Advertisement