Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your favourite drink.

• 06-11-2007 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

What's your favourite drink when in the boozer, and why? I'm not including a poll because there are too many drinks out there.

Mine is Leffe, because it truly is the drink of the Gods. It's fantastic, absolutely fantastic and puts all the regulars like Heineken, Carlsberg, etc to shame. It really is like silk, and leaves a lovely after taste. Every mouthful brings a smile to my face. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Bulmers, unfortunatly my stomach gave me a strongly worded memo last night telling me not to drink it again for a long time. in the meantime I'll probably go back to the black stuff or wife beater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Ice cold Pt Bottle of Bulmers, with plenty of Ice........mmmmmmmmmm:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Can't beat a good pint of heineken. Wife beater is also good but I haven't had it in quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

pid() wrote: »
    What's your favourite drink when in the boozer,
    Some of us older brothers prefare to drink at home because of the smoking ban. Most draught lager in this country might as well be wee-wee, especially the old favourites like Heineken and Bud.

My favs include:

- Black Death ( (c) me ) : 50/50 Jagermeister and Coke (or Diet Coke for the wimmin).

- Mojito (before you go thinking I've caught the ghey, this was Ernest Hemmingway's favourite drink)

- Duvel :(www.duvel.be) Lethal Belgian beer at about 9% proof. Like all Belgian beers, it has it's own characteristic glass and is best drank from it. The Duvel brewery is directly across the road from the remains of Belgium's one and only WWII Nazi concentration camp.

- Peroni : A light and very agreeable Italian beer perfect for hot summer days or with pizza.

- Sam Adams Ocktoberfest : Sam Adams beers are normally pretty good, but the Ocktoberfest (usually only available from now until Xmas) is a revelation. A very heavy ale-like beer, perfect for winters nights.

- Aspall's Suffolk Cyder : The champagne of ciders. Taste this and every mouthfull of Bulmers/Magners you taste afterwards will be like putting four sugarcubes in your mouth then drinking the wee of the old and homeless.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pint of Heineken. The likes of Staropramen and Budvar that I drink at home are easier to find in pubs these days, but pubs charge ridiculous prices for them and never have enough in the fridge that there'll still be cold bottles after a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

Peroni : A light and very agreeable Italian beer perfect for hot summer days or with pizza.

Is that the red labelled Peroni or Nastro Azzurro? If it's the red label beer where can you get it in Dublin?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

zaph wrote: »
    Pint of Heineken. The likes of Staropramen and Budvar that I drink at home are easier to find in pubs these days, but pubs charge ridiculous prices for them and never have enough in the fridge that there'll still be cold bottles after a couple of hours.

You think it's bad in Dublin take a trip to Sligo. Drinks like budvar and erdinger are rarer than hens teeth. I've only seen one place that sells them and that's closed know and even then they were warm. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

zaph wrote: »
    Is that the red labelled Peroni or Nastro Azzurro? If it's the red label beer where can you get it in Dublin?
    The red label is the 'Special Reserve' which is slightly stronger and inferior to the regular white-labeled Peroni IMHO.

You can get it at O'Briens off-licences or any of the larger Tescos.

Cheers DW, must keep an eye out for it. Drank loads of it in Italy a couple of years ago, and while I do like and occasionally buy Nastro, the red label stuff really went down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Kazobel

I had Sex on the beach once and it was orgasmic...and then we drank something later on that I can't remember the name of but it tasted nice :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

- Duvel :(www.duvel.be) Lethal Belgian beer at about 9% proof. Like all Belgian beers, it has it's own characteristic glass and is best drank from it. The Duvel brewery is directly across the road from the remains of Belgium's one and only WWII Nazi concentration camp.

Quite the list there Brother DW, you certainly are the connoisseur. I must admit I am partial to Duvel, I even have the glass, though it's been some time since I had one.

I am also a fan of Lidl's own beer, can't think of the name of it right now, but it's the one that comes in the green/red six-pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Vodkas!!!!

Jagerbombers.
    That lovely fibbers shot
    Micky finns
    Blue aftershock

Glad to see a few of ye supporting my home town ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Guinness - my staple diet.

But I am partial to Hoegaarden - man, that is tasty stuff.

Lately I find myself favouring erdinger. The Oktoberfest one was very nice, but this week my local offy got in a new winter beer from them which is excellent.
    Duvel and Chimay are both excellent beers. Paulaner is also a new favourite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

crosstownk wrote: »
    Guinness - my staple diet.

I also

However, this Christmas I shall be mostly be drinking congac and gingerale - I developed a taste for it last friday night while at my parent's house and have told them to stock up for my week off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Try Auchentoshan Scotch, spelling might be a bit off as I over imbibed. But it is truly gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

milkerman wrote: »
    Try Auchentoshan Scotch, spelling might be a bit off as I over imbibed. But it is truly gorgeous.

I haven't heard mention of that for years, my cousin used to drink it like it was going out of fashion.

where can one buy this beer by Sam Adams, sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Little Creatures

The best Pale Ale I have found - even better when sitting on the wharf outside the brewery !

Coopers Pale Ale

Great beer ! Best drunk from a chilled glass !

Pure Blonde

So much taste - So little carbs !

Tooheys New

Consistent performer, best from tap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

In the Pub its a pint of Heino, at home a decent red... Pinotage being a favorite, followed by Grenache or Syrah.

Ahem... for organised home events its got to be Green Spot or Redbreast. Sod the hangover, the day after tomorrow is the one that counts after all... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

large bottle of bulmers and NO ICE its waters it down, ffs im looking at Steyr now.

Only reason ice is needed is when its warm.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

pints or large bottles of guinness, smithwicks, heineken, bass, bushmills. god im thirsty

Vodkas and pear water is nice. Oh yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Vodka and Blackcurrant
    Harvey Wallbanger
    Bulmers with Ice
    Kopparburg, mainly Winter Fruits and Blackberry flavours

KdjaCL wrote: »
    l
    Only reason ice is needed is when its warm.

Ha ha, ice is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Cocktails

Malibu & Pineapple

or JD & coke

No vodka ever - i'm allergic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Guinness.

Carlsberg.

Vodka (straight).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pint of soup ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Lolz,
    Vodka Straight is pretty rough hehe, needs blackcurrant for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Carlsberg Elephant when out in Kobenhavn working. Anything good enough to knock out an elephant is good enough for me.
    Chimay Bleu or Smithwicks otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Smegball wrote: »
    Vodka and Blackcurrant
    Harvey Wallbanger
    Bulmers with Ice
    Kopparburg, mainly Winter Fruits and Blackberry flavours

Great choices. Mine are almost exactly the same. Delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

My favourite drink is vodka and diet coke, but unfortunately when I'm drinking it at home I loose all proportion in my measures and end up blacking out for about 2 hours and wake up the next day not knowing how I got to bed or what I did or said!. In a pub I like Bulmers or Kopperberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think Guinness would be one I would drink the most. It's lovely stuff, available everywhere, and fairly cheap.

Then, depending on the pub I'm in...

Hoegaarden - Really nice Belgian beer, quite a few places in Galway have it on tap, so I'll often partake of a few pints. Really nice, especially in the summer, it's perhaps the most refreshing beer I could think of.

Staroprammen - Yeah, this is pretty good, I'll sometimes have a few pints of this, but wouldn't drink it all the time.

Green Spot - Fantastic whiskey that tastes quite amazing considering the price.

Stella - Well, not much to tell about this one, I'll drink it, and like it, but wouldn't be my first choice.

There's a few others I won't get into, but when buying from the offie, I'll often partake of fine brews such as Leffe, Duvel, Chimay, basically every Belgian beer they have, and I quite like Tsing Tao, a Chinese beer, and Kirin, a Japanese beer. Can't go wrong with Tiger either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I like Guinness or Harp* if i'm on the pints or if i'm drinking cocktails it has to be Morgan & Coke or Southie. I also like a pint of Smithwicks or Macardles if there's a run on it.

*I only drink Harp if i'm in Dundalk. It's the only place it's popular so you can get a decent pint of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends... usually Koppaberg (Mixed Berry, or Apple), but... if in the Sugar Club, all bets are off. Long Island Ice Tea's, Harvey Wallbangers, Strawberry ice stuff (dunno the name).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A nice pint of Heineken or an occasional Becks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IGreen Spot - Fantastic whiskey that tastes quite amazing considering the price.

Absolutely spot on (no pun intended). Great stuff, only 600 cases a year produced and none for the export market, so its ALL OURS :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭scaramanga

was partial to the cans of pratzky whilst drinkin at home but got bad batch recently:(
    heineken,guinness,vodka, gin,jagerbombs ect when out:D

Pablos shot from fibbs. Yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

R33F wrote: »
    Coopers Pale Ale

yeah that's a great beer when served right. i tend to prefer the sparkling though in bottle form, i just like the wee extra kick.

Hoegaarden is my current favourite (apart from that weissbier i had in Frankfurt that i can't remember the name of, was probably the best pint I've ever had now that i think of it). also partial to a good Guinness now and again, especially for watching the footy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Mairt wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on (no pun intended). Great stuff, only 600 cases a year produced and none for the export market, so its ALL OURS :D

Aye, 'tis quite a fine drink, it's quite like Midleton as well, but a bit sweeter and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sweet Mother of Jebus - 14 posts before Guinness got mentioned & only a total of 7 mentions of the black stuff out of 41 posts. What's the world coming to? And as for "Vodka & pear water" - What the flying fcuk?! :eek:

Anyway, Guinness is my mainstay.
    Bulmers on sunny days.
    For shorts - Jameson & Asbach (a German brandy).

Oilrig - I agree wholeheartedly on the Redbreast. A lovely drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Coopers Pale Ale

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of the Coopers Ales as well. But I think when you are listing australian beverages it's scandalous that you haven't added 'Bluetounge' to the list. Brewed in the Hunter Valley, pretty expensive in the bottle shops but worth every cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

I'm fussy when it comes to Guinness. The Clayton in Ballybrit have a great pint of it, as does Taffess just off shop street. I would drink it more than anything else because of it's availability. Warsteiner was my favourite for ages, but Leffe has taken over.

I'm also fond of Grolsch. Lets face it, their bottles are cool as hell. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Sweet Mother of Jebus - 14 posts before Guinness got mentioned & only a total of 7 mentions of the black stuff out of 41 posts. What's the world coming to?

blame the publicans. the quality of the Guinness is so hit and miss these days. I've actually had better pints of it abroad than in some of the pubs around town. i don't order it as much as i used because it's just soo variable... really irritating when you're served a pint of muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Fair comment - I'm blessed with decent boozers that serve good Guinness where I live & I tend to forget that some people have to do their drinking in Dublin city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Have to agree with the black stuff aswell but then later on in the night the double brandy's and red bulls have to come out and play!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Little Creatures

The best Pale Ale I have found - even better when sitting on the wharf outside the brewery !

Coopers Pale Ale

Pure Blonde

So much taste - So little carbs !

Tooheys New

Consistent performer, best from tap !

Ah another from the southern hemisphere! Prefer Toohey's Extra Dry to the New but Pure Blonde FTW.

Lovin the premixes you get over here. Jim Bean and coke sold in stubbies. Can't beat it.

Jaegerbombs on a night out have to be done.

Miss the proper Guinness from back home and my pints of Carlsberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

blame the publicans. the quality of the Guinness is so hit and miss these days. I've actually had better pints of it abroad than in some of the pubs around town. i don't order it as much as i used because it's just soo variable... really irritating when you're served a pint of muck.
    Ye have to find a good pub. Many "old men" pubs are fitted with a decent Guinness tap, but some aren't. Yes, it's hit and miss, but it depends if the barstaff can switch the kegs properly. From doing it myself, it's a bit different from the beer, and if done wrongly, can result in a bad few pints, no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hardman26

ah love de aul cider myself... pint of bulmers defo... im getting thirsty now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Fosters normally on a night out, but on those sunny days I cant help but drink Bulmers

Also Jameson and black is nice

• Advertisement
Advertisement