Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet won't stop filling

Options
  • 06-11-2007 8:10pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today, the toilet stopped working properly. After flushing, it fills as normal, all seems OK, but then water starts to trickle down into the bowl. Opening up the cistern, the water just keeps filling up past its normal maximum level and into the cylindrical thingy in the middle and thence down into the toilet. I have no clue what might cause this so rather than wait and pay for a plumber I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with the attached flushing system and might know what was causing the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Catch the shaft of the ball cock about half way along it and then bend the end of it downwards. That should close it off sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like it doesn't have a traditional ball cock on a bar. Looks like a float switch type mech.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Oops, uploaded the thumbnail! This one is a bit more visible - no ballcock, just this box-on-a-stick floater mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

is there some sort of screw that can be turned.. with the ball cock there is a little screw that can be turned to stop the ball from sinking too low in the water, to stop it from filling not stop.

No screws as such. The only two parts that tighten and loosen are the round, ridged, white bits on the right, and both those are fully tightened. Apart from the flusher in the middle (the central column pulls up and releases the water through the resultant gap underneath) the only mobile part is the grey spirally bit that pushes down and pops up when released.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

soundslike there is a piece of dirt stuck in the float mechanism in the rhs piece as we look at pic or else the flaot is punctured.
    can u take off/ unthread the rhs mechanism and see can you open it up GENTLY:)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Had the same issue, with the same type of mechanism. Push down on the grey rod, the water should stop filling, it should spring back once the water has reached the correct level. In the end, ours was just stuck, and once freed worked perfectly.

spuddy wrote: »
    Had the same issue, with the same type of mechanism. Push down on the grey rod, the water should stop filling, it should spring back once the water has reached the correct level. In the end, ours was just stuck, and once freed worked perfectly.

The grey rod stays down until the water rises and pushes it up. I unscrewed the whole piece on the right and looked at it. The white cuboid bit slides up and down the white cylinder and the grey spiral. There is a line marked full near the top of the white cylinder. I assume it's supposed to stop moving somehow when it gets to that and thus stop the water filling. I noticed that by sliding the box up the cylinder it never quite reached this line, so tightened the grey spiral bit until it had enough room to slide right up to the full line. It didn't make a difference, though, the cistern keeps on filling regardless.

I can't figure out, without opening (and probably breaking) the mechanism, what actually stops the water flowing in, if there's a valve or washer not doing its job...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

My brother had a similar problem with the same type of mechanism. It started off as a trickle and gradually got worse. I'm not sure what he tried doing to fix it, but I know in the end, he just bought a new one of those plastic units and it solved his problem. It was easy enough to take the old one out and put in the new one, once the water was turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I second that chuckles30

Just go to your local heat merchents with the name of the toilet or take a picture of the system... Should be around 10 - 15 euro's for a new system takes about 30 mins to replace....

Garyh3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

looks like you have turned the grey spiral the wrong way.
    You want to force the "whilte box" down lower so it floats sooner and closers the valve. If you raise it up to the top (like yours is in the pic) its not exerting enough pressure (as its not submerged enough) and its not closing the valve.

The other two options are:
    1) The float is stuck against the side or
    2) the valve is not sealing correctly.

Manually lift the float and ensure that this action stops the water entering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 unidentifiable

You probably have a piece of grit underneat the "flusher" the item to the left in your picture, I have a similar problem a few times per year. This item will either screw out of its holder by twisting to the left a quater turn and lifting out, or it may just pull up. Be carefull either way. When you remove it you will se a large rubber washer in the part left in the cistern there will be a piece of grit on it or on the part in your hand. remove the grit and refit.

Advertisement