Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the den best bits

• 06-11-2007 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

whats do you think were the best bits presenters and puppets from the past 21 years. mine have to be the the years with damien mcall geri may and the big red bus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

cdremix wrote: »
    whats do you think were the best bits presenters and puppets from the past 21 years. mine have to be the the years with damien mcall geri may and the big red bus

Jaysus, you've got to be joking. This is a wind up, right? From what I saw of it, the Damien McCall / Geri May era was the beginning of the end for 'The Den'. It all started going rapidly downhill at that time.

I'm guessing you must be pretty young, would I be right? Under 20 anyway? Because, if that's the case, then you missed out on the real "golden eras" of 'The Den'. Firstly, the Ian Dempsey/Zig & Zag era and, then, the true pinnacle of 'The Den' years, the Ray Darcy/Zig & Zag/Dustin/Snotser/Ted/Podge, etc., era. The Darcy era really was the golden age of 'The Den'. After he left, it all went rapidly down the sh*tter! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think aidan is after answering the topic for the majority of people here...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Dustin, Podge and Rodge and Zig and Zag were great because while catering to a young audience they often used comedy that borderd on adult i.e Dustin commenting on politicians, or Podge and Rodge with virtually anything they did. This is why they were succeses on their own without the den, Podge and Rodge have their own show, Zig and Zag had the big breakfast and even Dustin made regular appearances on the Late Late show back when it was good. Now all the kids have is feckin Socky... "I like socks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Does anyone remember, or like me still have, the christmas tape that zig and zag brought out? With classics like:

"The Tijuana Gypsie stole my personal stereo" (No more Dire Straits or Elvis Cos-tel-o-o-o)
    (Hey did you twig) "Ted Dansens Wig" (Ted Dansens, Ted Dansens, Ted Dansens wig. Hey plays Sam on Cheers, He's got big ears, Ted Dansens, Ted Dansens, Ted Dansens wiggy wiggy wiggy wiggy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Podge and Rodge have their own show, Zig and Zag had the big breakfast and even Dustin made regular appearances on the Late Late show back when it was good. Now all the kids have is feckin Socky... "I like socks"

sure dustin has his own TV show too

like podge and rodge but for the kiddies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anne Doyle and Mary Robinson on the Den were classic moments.
    Can't believe how lucky our generation were with it... the crap daytime the British kids had to put up with! BBCs broom cupboard with Ed the Duck was nothing near. And as for that Otis aardvark??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The 100% by far best thing about the den was ted. Quality.

Dustin has gone crap on that news show thing, but he was always a fool... Zig & Zag were great...

They should bring back 2phat!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dustin was a legend.

It's said that one time they came back early from the ad break by mistake and Zig and Zag were throwing a Bosco doll around yelling 'Bosco is a bollix! Bosco is a bollix!'

:(:mad::( Socky was the end. :mad::(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The best era for the den was the first year after Dustin was introduced. Hit their stride then. D'acry's fights with Ted were brilliant. Dustin reading the top five in the chart in a horse race style was genius. Simon Young was useless but was a good foil for Dustin in those days. The Rotten Apple Club. Podge "all i want is a friend and a cuddle".

Ah, nostalgia. It aint what it used to be.

Morgans wrote: »
    T D'acry's fights with Ted were brilliant. Dustin reading the top five in the chart in a horse race style was genius.

Ah yes, hapy days! We didn't know how good we had it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

yea darcy fighting with ted was classic had my in the knots laughing!! used to renact that with my own panda teddy bear! ha !!

zig and zag were the job to! happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ray Darcy - prob the best presenter of it - had great fights with Ted
    Zig & Zag (and Zuppy!)
    The "Stamp Out Line Dancing" campaign
    The scandal about the Corrs - and how Jim is constantly ignored
    Dustin

All quality :D

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One word: Podge.

Also, back when Dustin had balls and didn't give a sh*t about what he said or who he insulted. Hwa hwa hwa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭thecoolfreak

The days of Zig and Zag were by far the best. As someone has said the er with Dustin, Zig and Zag and Podge were brilliant. Really wish RTE would release a DVD or this stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ah, I still have fond memories of the Podge and Zag show (and sadly still remember the theme).

And one of my favourite moments was when Zig asked Ray why he had bought the Cindy Crawford Workout video. Ray burst out laughing and then tried to think of a quick answer. He said it was so he could get fit, to which Zig said, "But how come last night you were sitting in front of it with a bowl of popcorn?"

It was moments like that that showed the genius of the show.

humanji wrote: »
    Ah, I still have fond memories of the Podge and Zag show (and sadly still remember the theme).

And one of my favourite moments was when Zig asked Ray why he had bought the Cindy Crawford Workout video. Ray burst out laughing and then tried to think of a quick answer. He said it was so he could get fit, to which Zig said, "But how come last night you were sitting in front of it with a bowl of popcorn?"

It was moments like that that showed the genius of the show.

lol! I actually remember that one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It was amazing some of the stuff they came up with on the spot,

Ray: "Who put all the toilet roll down the toilet?"
    Zig: "It wasn't me. I only ever use 4 sheets."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The scandal about the Corrs - and how Jim is constantly ignored
    That was 2phat, a genius show that had the same craic as old skool Den. Why did it go off the air?

Check out this other Den thread, there's a few youtube links within
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136610

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I always loved the run up to Christmas and the Christmas specials. Invariably Podge would have devised some scheme to ruin Christmas. In the run up to it for weeks thay would come back from a show to an empty studio with just podge snooping around or he would do stuff to the studio or whatever. It would build and build forever until the Christmas special in lapland or whenever when Zig and Zag and Dustin and Ray D'arcy would foil his fiendish plan to ruin Christmas. But talk about building a story up... it was brilliant for that!

On a related note I also used to love the Bosco Christmas special each year when they would show you inside Bosco's box... God how I wanted my room to look just like that!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

What was the story with that drummer lad that used to eat bananas all the time? Did I dream that or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

The classic (after an RTE strike and at the time mouthwash ad) Dustin mugging at the start of the show and the saying the immortal 'still working!' line.

Also when Dempsey was chatting to the kids and they would ask if Zig or Zag would be their boyfriend, he tried slagging Dustin with the 'their mum wants to be your girlfriend' to which Dustin replyed 'what self respecting woman wouldnt want to be'!

Ahhhh the memories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The Ian Dempsey years in the late 80's with Zig and Zag were the best.

Back then, unemployment was at an all time high and Zig and Zag had more of a cult adult following.

I think it's an urban myth, but one of the guys got suspended for a month by RTE for singing a version of Old McDonald that included the verse:

Old McDonald had a farm,
    Ee-Ei-Ee-Ei-Oo,
    And on his farm he had a pig,
    Ee-Ei-Ee-Ei-Oo,
    And the pig went "Have ye any tax on that veh-he-cal now"
    Ee-Ei-Ee-Ei-Oo.

I'm sure I have some VHS taped off-air from that period hidden somewhere.

Another classic was the introduction of Dustin (from Wiki):

Another regular on the programme, from December 1989 right up until now has been Dustin the Turkey. Dustin was originally introduced when Zag won him for coming last in a golf tournament. He was completely unaware of his impending fate as Christmas approached. In the end, the cast did not have the heart to kill and stuff him. There is also a school of thought that Dustin was originally conceived as a turkey vulture, which would be consistent with his rather large and most un-turkeylike beak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

You probably all know this but there's a few clips on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DAsWE0rrrk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZyLknUqVxo

I can't bear to look at them on The Big Breakfast...why oh why did they leave us so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭lucyburn

I don't really remember the Ian Dempsey years,but i do remember Ray D'arcy, i thought he was brilliant on it, zuppy was great to, its a pity it finished, my parents used to watch it with me and they would be laughing more than i was.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

Good times. Back when Ray didn't spend all his time spouting off holier-than-thou I-only-eat-one-chocolate-bar-a-week twaddle..

I remember the album alright too, Never Mind The Zogabongs wasn't it? With their great Eurovision song:

Oh la la la lieu
    sacre bleu
    ecout repeate (sic, didn't do French) le 1992
    In a European love groove (?!)
    1992!

And I bet you don't know when this song is going to end
    and the great operatic triumph that was Bellybutton Fluff

Ha ha ha, it is so preccccccccious
    my bellybutton fluff collectioneze
    I will go to my cupboard
    to seeeeee if it is safe

where has it gone
    don't look at me....

etc.

Would love a copy of that, been lost in the mists of time, though I'm sure it was the first album I ever (was) bought. The first single I ever got was their Christmas No.1 with the beatboxing....

[/offtopic]
    I'm convinced a generation of Irish people are growing up convinced we can never be happy here and must move to London to seek out fortune like they did. Put that in yer craic pipe and smoke it, Justine Delaney-Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Used to love when Podge and Rodge kidnapped Santy :) they scared the bejaysus outta me! Also when Dustin ran for President (he was in the poultry party I believe?) anytime dustin slagged cavan or any random county. oh and woooo232 i loved when they showed bosco's box...it was so surreal :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

When they set up DustinBurger and Podge came on as a health inspector.

"I'm going to shut this gin joint down!"
    and
    "Is that a horse I see in the kitchen?" :D

Brilliant times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Agree with Aidan.... D'arcy and the boys were the best .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lump wrote: »
    Agree with Aidan.... D'arcy and the boys were the best .

I used to love the story time when zig used to read the story and zag used to act it out (usually dressed as a girl which he objected to but you knew he secretly loved it)

They were absolutely brilliant. Why didn't RTE bring out a DVD instead of re-releasing bosco (which I have to admit I bought)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I used to try to tune my radio into Noggin Fm on my radio and was so disappointed when it wouldn't work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Advertisement