Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will this work???? Neeeed input

Options
  • 06-11-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,
    In a nut shell…I am starting new business in Navan and looking for some feedback as so far I’ve got none.. nada…. Zilch…! Ive put the word out but nothing happening. Basically it’s an Ironing Service that will collect from your door and deliver back within 24 hours. The prices are very competitive the packaging professional and the pickup/delivery is free. There are loads in Dublin and in the UK but is Navan ready?? Do the Navanites want this service, do they need this service??? What ya think?

Thanks
    Frazzle

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

What do you mean by "Putting the word out"? To whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 frazzle

I mean informational posters, fliers, telemarketing, the usual marketing tools.

To the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm only guessing but I think Navan would have a population of circa 25,000 and I would imagine that half of the population commute to Dublin every day (might be a bit over stated but you get what I mean). There's half of your market gone to Dublin. Maybe if your service was part of another service i.e Dry Cleaning it might work. The scope is too narrow on its own.

Thanks stepbar, just looking for the feedback, good or bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

I like the idea and I think the fact that half of navan works in Dublin means that they leave for work around 7am, return at 7pm and don't have time for ironing or housework when they get in as they have kids, dinner to make and whatever, so yes, I think it would work, if I lived in Navan, I would avail of the service but i don't. sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I live in Navan and have seen a small van with ironing service and dry cleaning on it. The way I see it is that there are two types of people to target, one is the comuters, they just dont have the time to iron and the second is the locals,every one is busy these days and as much as people in Navan are sometimes a bit tight with money you will get some business.
    If I notice anyone offering the service Ill let you know..

Thanks all for your input, I am just getting started so all your thoughts are appreciated.

Eventually I will include other services like the dry cleaning and possibly a full laundry service, but for now its just the ironing!

We will operate an evening service for those commuters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 segovia

you have to do the "start your own business"course,that involves market research,business plan,who will do what and at what cost ect.I have failed in start-up projects before because I wouldn't listen to all that marketing bunk. one of the exercise in the start your...... is to list as many people you know will use your new service, it must be a good number like 200 or so,if you can do this then make you bank manager one of them and go for it.good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Yosserh

Hi,
    I live in Navan and am one of those commuters! I saw one of your fliers last week and thought it was a great idea. I also agree with one of the other posters regarding doing your homework (research etc). I work in research and would be willing to help you out in designing and looking at data (free of course if your interested). It would be relatively easy to conduct some quick interviews outside on the streets of Navan - Might give you a good idea as to what is involved.
    The one thing I'd say is that it also take time for word of mouth to work, a friend of mine started her own business 2 years ago and it is only taking off now!
    If your interested in having a chat PM me here and we can take it from there.

Yosserh

Thanks very much for your offer, that’s really kind of you!! I would love to talk to you further, whenever your free. ( I know the commute thing, did it for years :eek:)
    My email is Navanironingservices@gmail.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Just as a note, for those people who are commuters into Dublin, there are companies in Dublin now that offer the whole wash and iron, and will collect and deliver to peoples jobs, so thats something else you may have to compete with. A lot of people may only be at home in the evening and may not want anyone knocking after a certain hour to collect or deliver clothes.

Living near Trim, I would say its a service I would be interested in, but much much more so if there was washing involved too. I think it may be difficult to get off the ground if its only ironing.

How about alterations? Taking up trousers and replacing buttons and all that type of stuff? I've a couple of good coats just waiting to find someone thats good with a needle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I agree with Archerons idea about the alterations... good idea.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but i live and work in Navan and at least once a week we get a different flyer in the door to our place at work about washing and ironing services around Navan/Slane/Johnstown... along with the hundreds of people who have started there own power washing services or car valeting services.

And to be honest, if you look at the community notice boards in either Johnstown Supervalu or Tescos, they have a lot of ads on them for this same service.

Even though, i wish you all the best in the future.

Archeron

The washing end of things will probably come later on, should the business get off the ground. Industrial washing machines don’t come cheep and I didn’t want to invest too much money initially as I am not sure who will avail of the service.

So far as alterations go….. minor things like buttons and fallen hems etc are not a problem but for anything else I would suggest the lady in “Stich N Fix”. She is located down the lane beside the cinema in Navan. She is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

thansk Frazzle. To Navan I go with a big bag of repairables.

Keep us posted on your venture, I hope it all works out.

Advertisement