Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre pressure - fuel efficiency impacts

Options
  • 06-11-2007 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭

Just been along to Maxol, decided to check the tyre pressure as I've noticed a bit of a hit on fuel efficiency - was dangerously low on the front two and about .3 of a bar out on both the rears.

What kind of actual impact would this have had? Not got anything more than the home-work-back commute for the next few while and isn't a great one to evaluate use on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well ..a badly inflated tyre gives you increased rolling resistance ...a bit like driving uphill all the time :D

I read somwhere that it could cost you as much as a liter per 100 km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

In addition to what peasant said, low tyre pressures mean reduced performance, reduced handling ability, noisier car, poorer ride comfort, reduced safety, reduced tyre life, and an increase in the risk of a blow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

This is particulary noticable on a car that is laden....recently did a run down the country fully laden, was struggling to achieve 45mpg...on the return journey I pumped the tyres up to the correct laden pressue and got 58mpg so yes it has a big impact!

Advertisement