Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen M5 - Keep a lookout

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

(A) Do criminals even use cars like this for "jobs"? I would have thought they weren't be very practical and more likely to attract attention.

I thought the idea of a getaway car was to get away, would this motor not leave the garda in its dust.

B) Wouldn't it be apparent within days whether the car has a tarcker or not.

Of course it would but do you think they are going to park it facing there house wtching it 24/7

C) Don't most paid car parks take a photo of the driver these days? I would have thought airport car parks especially would have this.

Obivously you have'nt been in the long term overflow carparks, pretty much a field packed with cars miles from the airport.

D) As far as I was aware the Gardai have basic BMW 3 Series / Subaru Foresters. Never heard they had Audis. How would these match up to an M5?

The guards have Subaru imprezas WRX or STI wagons, only saw one last week chasing a R1 up the M50, caught it too, They have 5 series BMW's - 530s in both petrol and diesel versions, Audi A4's and A6's plus a variety of high powered jeeps and bikes.
    As the M5 would be limited to around the 150mph, I would say the guards would have a good chance of keeping up with it.

I don't mean to be impolite or seem like I'm picking on one person but there seems to be a lot of fantasy on this thread

Anyhow I hope he gets it back in one piece, shame to see a car like that wrecked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Was there no tracker fitted to that motor? Its about time the insurance compaines here took a harder stance on high performance motors like this one. No Insurance unless tracking device fitted. If the lags find it that's a different story of course but I know one man in the UK this year who's thankful his tracking device worked on his Lexus LS430. He had his fitted independently. The thieves looked in the area where the factory fitted tracking device would usually have been. His car was found 40 miles from home 1.5 hours after it was stolen. They dumped it when they couldn't find the tracker.

Just to add in case your not familiar with this bimer's speed have a peak at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDttyLMEZs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hope it comes back in one piece shortly. There are occasionally good news stories:

We had a year old 530d M-Sport stolen from Dundalk via a break in to the house and keys stolen. Based on the area it was stolen from never expected to see it again (thought it would be over the border in about 2 mins), but less than 2 weeks later we get a call from the Gards to say it's been recovered.

Found in Kildare wearing 04LK plates (it's 06D) with 2 ballaclava's on the back seat. There was some damage but fairly minor.

Just to let you know not to give up hope - obviously I'll keep an eye out and report to the Gardai if spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

(A) Do criminals even use cars like this for "jobs"? I would

I'd have thought that the e39 M5 is probably one of the most subtle looking out and out performance cars. Average Joe would probably have to look twice if it was parked beside an M-Tec 520.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

eoin_s wrote: »
    I'd have thought that the e39 M5 is probably one of the most subtle looking out and out performance cars. Average Joe would probably have to look twice if it was parked beside an M-Tec 520.
    I was under the impression that most getaway cars were bog standard hatchbacks. Except for in the movies of course.;)

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    I was under the impression that most getaway cars were bog standard hatchbacks. Except for in the movies of course.;)

They could well be - but just saying, for a car with that type of performance, the M5 is a pretty subtle looking car, that a lot of people wouldn't pay too much attention to. Until you hear it of course - the sound of this one is something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

528i wrote: »
    Stock brakes (even when painted red) are rubbish on M5's, so my guess is there will be two scrotes welded to a concrete pillar before long. This is no golf gti and all to easy to hit 160mph (even in built up areas) so lets face it, if anyone's gonna chance their arm to 'see how fast it'll go' it's these bozos.

I've had buckos try following me home on numerous occasions, even barefaced pulling into filling stations after me, waiting in their car till I've finished (ive got a hurley stick in case all hell breaks loose) and then out behind me again, It's like Americas dumbest criminals and I often wonder if they're actually undercover cops instead they're that thick.

Good stretch of road ~ almighty roar from that V8, some flashing lights of encouragement from the dsc & spectators you've just overtaken, and you're home & dry before those guys even know what happened.

Worst thing you could do is hang around, 2nd worst thing is leaving your keys on the kitchen table like a dope, might as well leave them in the ignition for them at that rate, and shir why not pack some sandwiches in case they were hungry aswell :rolleyes:

ive seen it happen many times though in my built up area i know Everyone and there cars... in the event of you being followed , collect Any friend and gets as many pics of the car tailing you as you will need them to tell the gardi

i also think that the bmw would be a car used in " tiger " style robbery's or van heists because of its Heaps of power....

but then again just knock into every local breakers yard and tell em to keep an eye on any any bmw m5's of same spec that they break...

is that bmw custom in anyway ??

S.I.R wrote: »

Very much so - Kin, you want to elaborate (or post the URL you have for it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

bbability wrote: »
    Was there no tracker fitted to that motor? Its about time the insurance compaines here took a harder stance on high performance motors like this one. No Insurance unless tracking device fitted. If the lags find it that's a different story of course but I know one man in the UK this year who's thankful his tracking device worked on his Lexus LS430. He had his fitted independently. The thieves looked in the area where the factory fitted tracking device would usually have been. His car was found 40 miles from home 1.5 hours after it was stolen. They dumped it when they couldn't find the tracker.

Just to add in case your not familiar with this bimer's speed have a peak at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDttyLMEZs

It would be a start if the insurance companies actually gave you a discount for fitting a tracker. Quinn dont and I heard hibernian will give you €40 - not much when a tracker costs between €160-300 a year not including installation

Depending how much your insurance excess is, it may not even be worth your while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Without revealing too much detail I was told just the other night by a friend that his
    330Ci was stolen last year, they broke into the house and got the keys. Anyway the insurance paid up and he bought another and relayed they story to the salesman.

About a month later the salesman rings him and tells him that one of his staff spotted the 330Ci in the carpark of a large hotel. Aparantly it had a distinctive reg. So the local gardai were informed and they said they'd sort it !

A few hours went by and the former owner decided to chase it up and was told the car wasn't there !

So close yet still so far !

So it niggled him and he got up early the next morning and drove quite a distance to where this place was, arrived at 6.00am and there was there car !

It was obvious it had sat there for weeks if not months judging by the tree sap, bird dirt and car park dust all over it, you couldn't see out !!

Not only that they key was placed on top of the tyre !

Needless to say he waited for the gardai and boll1cked them out of it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It could be a secondary getaway car. The bog standard saloon (e.g. Corolla) could be used to get away from the immediate vicinity of the crime.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

S.I.R wrote: »
    Very much so - Kin, you want to elaborate (or post the URL you have for it)?
    I think I mentioned most of the visible mods (BBK, exhausts, air ducts)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

...and the red StopTechs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Its probably safe to say the car will never be seen again and the new owner is grateful nobody in his family was hurt in the robbery. Much that we all love our cars, they are just a car. No doubt its being stored somewhere and will show up in a robbery a good few months down the road when the dust has settled. Leaving your keys downstairs is the smartest thing you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

Any update on this?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to Kin (previous owner who I know) "No nothing, I am washing my hands of this now. The M5 is not even listed on the dealer network as stolen, the cops have not done it and the owner has really not even checked if it was done I guess."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

kbannon wrote: »
    According to Kin (previous owner who I know) "No nothing, I am washing my hands of this now. The M5 is not even listed on the dealer network as stolen, the cops have not done it and the owner has really not even checked if it was done I guess."

Thats crazy - now if thats not an incentive to go and rob an M5 i dont know what is!
    (same goes for the 330Ci MercMad mentioned)

... Good to see our boys in blue are ontop of things :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

There was a 99d 5 series BMW used in a shooting were a lad was either shot or dumped after being shot in Donegal - AFAIK the guards recovered the car which was stolen in dublin around the same time as this car. If it was this car they will hold it for forensics (could be and usualy is months at this) and the owner might not even be told of the cars recovery. This happened to a friend of mine years ago, insurance paid out on his Subaru legacy (hijacked and used for ram raiding) and months later we saw the car in an auction for sale with ex guarda cars and unclaimed recovered stolen cars.

This car will still be in Ireland, could be stripped but not likely that it left the country - A 99 car even a M5 wouldn't fetch a lot on the black market. IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

the cops are only gobshytes, no hope in hell of getting them to recover anything.

pretty sad state of affairs IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Just to finish this story off. The car was rcovered with very few miles added on it. It was recovered with minimal damage to front end, bumper was not even cracked just scratched. Car is now restored to former glory and is back with the owner as a daily driver. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Just to finish this story off. The car was rcovered with very few miles added on it. It was recovered with minimal damage to front end, bumper was not even cracked just scratched. Car is now restored to former glory and is back with the owner as a daily driver. :D

Happy ending so !

Case closed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah great news, glad to hear it worked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

peasant getting a bit previous there - POW-R gone to his head!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mike65 wrote: »
    peasant getting a bit previous there - POW-R gone to his head!

Mike.

peasant got a bit confussed alright ...fixed though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Excellent news.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Yeah but it is a reminder of a major reason why I'd shy away from owning a high-profile motor. The thought of someone breaking into my home when I'm asleep and maybe harming me - or more importantly loved ones - frightens the bejaysus out of me TBH. I keep car keys next to my bed - the bastards won't get away with my car without a few belts!

A relative of mine used to keep his weekend toy (an Aston!) at his ma's house in the country 'til a guard pointed out to him that a gang of skangers could well break in and scare the bejaysus out of the old dear...

pburns wrote: »
    Yeah but it is a reminder of a major reason why I'd shy away from owning a high-profile motor. The thought of someone breaking into my home when I'm asleep and maybe harming me - or more importantly loved ones - frightens the bejaysus out of me TBH. I keep car keys next to my bed - the bastards won't get away with my car without a few belts!

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. If the keys are downstairs near the door then you and yours have less chance of being harmed. It's all well and good talking it up online, till you have some scumbag standing over your bed in the middle of the night with a knife or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. If the keys are downstairs near the door then you and yours have less chance of being harmed. It's all well and good talking it up online, till you have some scumbag standing over your bed in the middle of the night with a knife or whatever.

Unless you're like my granduncle and sleep with the shotgun beside the bed! (He lives on his own a few miles from the nearest town, but keeps it in the safe when visitors are staying.)

Wouldn't like to break in there now!

Good to hear the car was recovered. Was it used in any criminal activities. Someone changed the plates on my friend's dad's Santa Fe a fortnight ago in their driveway, put 06 D plates on it, but it's a 07 MH. Garda came down and noted it in case the plate was used in a robbery.

TBH I think it's time plate printing was regulated with a database if VIN and Chassis no required and plates watermarked

ninty9er wrote: »
    Unless you're like my granduncle and sleep with the shotgun beside the bed! (He lives on his own a few miles from the nearest town, but keeps it in the safe when visitors are staying.)

Wouldn't like to break in there now!

Maybe it's urban legend, but isn't there some stat in the States that says you're as likely to get you or a family member killed if you try and defend yourself with a gun?

Anyway, my point is that it's just a lump of metal at the end of the day, and it's not worth trying to act the hard man and risking your own and your family's safety.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    TBH I think it's time plate printing was regulated with a database if VIN and Chassis no required and plates watermarked

For what it's worth, this car had the reg number etched into the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Glad to hear the car was found, but out of curiosity how long did it take !

Advertisement