Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stolen M5 - Keep a lookout

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MercMad wrote: »
    Glad to hear the car was found, but out of curiosity how long did it take !

It was found at the end of January, but I think they wanted to keep it quiet enough until all legal issues were sorted out. Kin may be able to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Did the insurance company not already pay out on the car seeing as it was missing for nearly 5 months? Thought they payed out after a month or so of it going missing?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Did the insurance company not already pay out on the car seeing as it was missing for nearly 5 months? Thought they payed out after a month or so of it going missing?

I have absolutely no idea, but it was closer to 2.5 months than 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Saw a 99 D Silver/Silvery Blue M5 Parked in the flat complex in between Kings Inn Street and Lower Dominick Street, think its called Dominick Lane. Cant remember the full reg. though. Saw it yesterday around noon.

EDIT,,, just realised you got it back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Happy ending :)
    pburns wrote: »
    Yeah but it is a reminder of a major reason why I'd shy away from owning a high-profile motor

Nothing to do with a high-profile motor, just with a relatively valuable one (i.e. a brand new Golf GTI). Cars are stolen to order by professional thieves. These thieves prefer if you left the keys beside the front door. In which case they will just take the keys and the car and you'll never notice anything until the next day. If you take the keys to bed with you however, they'll come and get them. Any which way.

Ask any Garda and they will confirm this...
    eoin_s wrote: »
    Anyway, my point is that it's just a lump of metal at the end of the day, and it's not worth trying to act the hard man and risking your own and your family's safety.

QFT. The vast majority of cars stolen to order would typically have comprehensive, or at least TPFT insurance, so you get your money back. And arming yourself is a recipe for disaster. You or your family might get hurt, or you hurt the thief and end of in prison. Why risk your family or yourself? I'd like anyone who brings the keys to bed with them to seriously re-consider this practice!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kin Mak wrote: »
    Just to finish this story off. The car was rcovered with very few miles added on it. It was recovered with minimal damage to front end, bumper was not even cracked just scratched. Car is now restored to former glory and is back with the owner as a daily driver. :D
    I saw it last week Kin stuck in traffic in Donnybrook. Looking loved!
    Yeah but it is a reminder of a major reason why I'd shy away from owning a high-profile motor. The thought of someone breaking into my home when I'm asleep and maybe harming me - or more importantly loved ones - frightens the bejaysus out of me TBH. I keep car keys next to my bed - the bastards won't get away with my car without a few belts!

A relative of mine used to keep his weekend toy (an Aston!) at his ma's house in the country 'til a guard pointed out to him that a gang of skangers could well break in and scare the bejaysus out of the old dear...
    Yeah, yeah. Its no feckin use if you wake up with a hammer coming towards your head!
    This filthy scumbag and his filthy scumbag brother broke into several houses in Belfast near Mrs. KB's parents one night. One of the owners was asleep and is permanently brain damaged after getting belted with a hammer! Not even a car is not worth the grief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Didn't want to say too much earlier, it was recovered mid January. I have already bumped into the car myself on the road.

Owner kept me informed the whole way through the process and I have already been in to give a statement regading the incident.

All that is missing off the car is the Hamann front splitter that must have got ripped off. Murphy & Gunne did the repairs and check, owner was rather suprised as the guys at M&G regonised the car even though I had never brought it into them before.

Insurance was not offering much and the owner is actually glad he got it back. As he said in his own words, I could never own another M5 after driving the one you sold me. I am glad he enoys the car as much as I did.

We can't live our lives being afraid of what ifs, do what you enjoy and make the most out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

A big chain is the only way on some of these type of cars.

When the guy breaks in and takes the keys from the hall table, and then realises he doesn't have the key of the chain, he is unlikely to go back in to look for them !

Then again..............:eek:

Serioulsy I dont know what the answer is but I recall reading about a chap in the UK whose front door was smashed in and a guy with a gun pointed it at his young daughter, about 6 years of age, wanting the keys to his brand new Subaru Sti.

That child would need serious counselling after that, and may never recover from the shock.

Remember there was an imobiliser that allowed someone to drive for about a mile before a button had to be pressed again ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who in this day and age keeps their car keys inside the front door on the table? I keep mine on my person and hidden far away from the front door when i am in bed.

Are people just a bit careless these days?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Who in this day and age keeps their car keys inside the front door on the table? I keep mine on my person and hidden far away from the front door when i am in bed.

Read the post right above yours - that's a bloody good reason to have the keys anywhere near your person and near the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kin Mak wrote: »
    DMurphy & Gunne did the repairs and check, owner was rather suprised as the guys at M&G regonised the car even though I had never brought it into them before.
    Maybe the lads from M&G remember it from the off roading at Mondello
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

Bond-007 wrote: »

so you dont wake up to a masked individual threatening to pour a boiled kettle over your significant other :confused:

that 1 mile immobilizer thing sounds good...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

eoin_s wrote: »
    Read the post right above yours - that's a bloody good reason to have the keys anywhere near your person and near the front door.

So what's the alternative - a big neon sign inside your hallway with a sign:
    'CAR KEYS HERE - Please do not wake the residents!'.

I'm no hard man but if someone breaks into your home I think most people would have a pretty primal response. Personally, I could cope with the loss of a car by theft, vandalism, maybe even car-jacking. But if some scumbag were to invade the privacy of my home and threaten me, that's a whole different ballgame. Maybe if woken at gunpoint I would hand over the keys, maybe I wouldn't. But I sure as hell wouldn't be making as easy as leaving themout on display in an obvious place!

So what's the alternative - a big neon sign inside your hallway with a sign:
    'CAR KEYS HERE - Please do not wake the residents!'.

What? Ignoring the hyperbole, the basic premise here is that these people are willing to break into your house, because they know you have a car they want to take. The "neon sign" isn't necessary, because there's a ton or so of metal in the driveway giving your location away.
    I'm no hard man but if someone breaks into your home I think most people would have a pretty primal response. Personally, I could cope with the loss of a car by theft, vandalism, maybe even car-jacking. But if some scumbag were to invade the privacy of my home and threaten me, that's a whole different ballgame. Maybe if woken at gunpoint I would hand over the keys, maybe I wouldn't. But I sure as hell wouldn't be making as easy as leaving themout on display in an obvious place!

The alternative is that if they break into your house, then they can get the keys and be done with it without threatening you and yours. They have already made the decision to break and enter, so Christ knows what they're willing to do. I'm sure most people would have a primal response, but that's not much good when you're woken up in the middle of the night with someone with a gun, knife, lump hammer standing beside you - and you have to assume that they're willing to use it.

This is exactly the reason why I have decided not to drive an expensive, high-powered car. And the fact I can't afford to buy, tax, insure or run it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Wossack wrote: »
    so you dont wake up to a masked individual threatening to pour a boiled kettle over your significant other :confused:
    They wouldn't get that far. I have 10 dogs who would make light work of any burglars. Also I the racket would give me enough time to gather my other methods of defence. Don't make it easy for them.

Advertisement