Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with sunglasses?

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Cork where somebody could help me pick out a pair of sunglasses? I clearly can't do it myself - I thought I had found a good pair the last time I was flying home but one of the lads said : "You might find a better pair", which I took to be a polite way of saying : "You poor deluded fool - you have no idea how stupid you look".

I fully realise that their might be no hope, that most people look like **** when they wear sunglasses, but I think I need them for practical reasons. The sun seems to be so low in the sky when I'm driving to town these days the sun visor doesn't really do much. There was also one time I was driving up a hill into the sunset where I was completely blinded. You have to wonder when you look more of a wanker too - when you're wearing sunglasses or when you're trying to squint to see under a sun visor that you pulled down in the first place...

I was wondering; would Vision Express have training where they would be able to say stuff like "someone with your cheekbones needs a style like this"? Or should I just try to find someone with taste?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Find someone with taste. Buy a decent brand such as Oakley, or Rayban. Stay away from the surfer over-sized iridium lensed efforts, and buy something tasteful. Without seeing your head, it's hard to recommend anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Try Crowleys opticians on the grand parade. They've a decent range, and they'll order stuff in. You can get coating on the lenses to reduce glare - works a treat. HAve a look at Maui Jims too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oakley glasses are technically excellent, but the standard designs make everyone look like a surfer-dude-spacker. Not a good look for most imho.

I bought mine in Egans on Lavitt's Quay and the girl that helped me seemed to know her stuff. Don't know her name though, and at least one of the other ones is a duh. Bring someone with you for a second opinion.

Course with your looks, a motorbike helmet with tinted visor'd probably be the best bet. Can I still borrow the Lincoln? ;)

adam

Oakley Square Wire are not your run of the mill surfer's look. I have 2 pairs, one Ducati to go with the bike, and people are always shocked when I tell them they're Oakleys. People expect Oakleys to be brash, and plasticky, and instead, they look like this :

SWBLKIR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

have a look in boots,some nice ones there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

dahamsta wrote: »
    ...I bought mine in Egans on Lavitt's Quay and the girl that helped me seemed to know her stuff...
    adam

I went there aswell and found them helpful, I've bought 2 different style pairs of black raybans there down through the years and have found them great when driving, particularly when the sun is low or there is high glare.

ned78 wrote: »
    Oakley Square Wire are not your run of the mill surfer's look.
    dahamsta wrote:
    Oakley glasses are technically excellent, but the standard designs make everyone look like a surfer-dude-spacker.
    They have started making non-spacker glasses, and fair dues to them they've become one of the best in the market in terms of performance and quality in relatively short order. However most of their design still look like this, and to be fair, they're the kind of sunglasses that frat-boy snowboarding dipsh*ts wear. I'm just saying...

And Owen, having a pair of sunglasses to match a bike is very, uh... metrosexual. You'd want to watch yourself there boy, you'll be moisturising next. ;)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Course with your looks, a motorbike helmet with tinted visor'd probably be the best bet. Can I still borrow the Lincoln?

Not after that comment..........but tbh I considered that.

Thanks for the replies - might try Egans next week. It should quickly become obvious which one's 'the other one'.

While we're on the subject; I need a pair of proper wrap arounds for a holiday I'm planning next year. Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy the cheapest pair I can find online? I don't think how bad they look is going to matter.....

I've always bought semi-cheapies at around €30 or so, cos of a tendency to sit and stand on 'em, but never again. Bought a pair of €160 Vuarnet this time around and the difference between the proper glass lenses you get with these and the plastic ones you get in cheapies is astounding. Your eyes'll thank you, believe me.

adam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

aye, i got tinted lense put in a spare set of frames i had, glass is the way to go. if you need to wear specs anyways, the basic frames look nice w/ grey lenses in them.

• Advertisement

And Owen, having a pair of sunglasses to match a bike is very, uh... metrosexual. You'd want to watch yourself there boy, you'll be moisturising next. ;)

adam

You just wait until I've a mike in my hand at your wedding ... ;)

Jesus, it's worse than I thought. Who's Mike?

heh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Get a pair that YOU like and sod what other people say. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

For fashion any old job will do ,if you want a proper pair of sunglasses Maui Jims all the way, id be hard pushed to buy a different brand.Oakleys are seriously overrated IMO ,their polarized lenses have very strange effects on certain surfaces, personally i think people buy for the name.
    Serengeti are also excellent but are a glass lense.For driving you cant go wrong with a pair of Maui Jims in the bronze lens,great for here as they are good on bright and overcast days.
    As far as goes what fits you may get an idea from their website but thats all it should be,better off to try for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I've always bought semi-cheapies at around €30 or so, cos of a tendency to sit and stand on 'em

I was thinking more of cheap goggles for the holiday really. I've been told I'll need them to stop snow blindness. Odds are they'll be lost or thrown away afterwards. I'll try to get a reasonably decent set of shades for the car(s).

Advertisement