Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frequency of Rent

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Can someone clear this up for me. I share a flat with my brother. The cost is 950 p.m shared. We moved in last November and have paid 13 payments to date (one payment every 4 weeks). Was asking the brother this evening if he thought the first payment was the deposit. He says no. I thought rent is usually charged once every month, for example on the 23th of each month? Now I know you might say why didn't you question this before now, but it didn't bother me until I found the above out. November's rent is due soon and I would like to clear this up if possible.

BTW I see the landlord has it marked in the rent book - [x] Monthly (4 weeks) (4 weeks is handwritten in). Are they allowed do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Defo once a month on the same date/day of each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If you agreed to every 4 weeks, then that's what it is. For instance, I get paid fortnightly and my wife gets paid monthly, I get paid 26 times, she gets paid 12 per year, there's no rule on what the frequency has to be.

Having it every 4 weeks means you're paying per day really, whereas monthly means different amount of days per money each month (e.g. you only get 28 days of shelter in February).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Plus, normally, you pay twice up front at the start...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The rent book text isn't statutory. He can put in whatever periods he likes. The fact that it is in his handwriting but is in your possession would definitely strengthen his claim if there were any argument about this. 28-day periods actually make sense in the context of the legislation which generally calls for notice in multiples of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

4 weekly rent payments mean that over a year you make one extra payment as there are 13 4 weekly periods in a year as opposed to 12 calendar months. I think that 4 weekly was the norm until relatively recently - there's nothing illegal about it, unless of course you signed a lease stating that rent was per calendar month, but I'm assuming that's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It all depends on what you agreed to. Some places are 4-weekly, others are monthly.

In my previous flat, the landlord asked for a weekly amount. I multiplied this by 52 and divided by 12 to arrive a monthly payment and asked if this was OK. he agreed, and seeing as how I got paid monthly it made life easier for me.

Advertisement