Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

diff and gear oil

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know what oil goes into the gearbox and diff in a '98 318is? (BMW) I know it's supposed to be sealed for life, but I'd like to change it anyway.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

'life' generally means 100k miles.

BMW generally change these oils in Inspection 2 *I THINK*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

As far as I remember SAE90W hypoid gear oil was recommended when I refered to the BMW manual my brother has at home for the E36 for the diff. No shops I went into had it including Joe Duffys. In the end I got a bottle of standard Castrol diff oil that you can pick up in most motor factors with no issues since. Thats what I used to top mine up last year (E36 coupe also). If you are having problems getting the diff drain and fill plugs out, let us know as I had to resort to a few techniques to get them out.

In terms of the gearbox oil, there should be a coloured sticker on the side of the gearbox, which tells you which oil to put in it. Theres 3 or 4 different types. Or even easier, go to realoem.com, type in your VIN number (should be EPxxxxx, x = number) in the "serial number" box, then select manual transmission (if yours is manual of course), then click on the picture of the gearbox and it will tell you there what oil you need. See pic attached for a June 1998 318is from that site as an example. The site shows a sticker on the diff saying no oil change required as attached, but like yourself, I choose to ignore this.

For the diff, just keep an eye out for the word "Hypoid" on any bottle. This oil type is usually used in diffs where the teeth of the gears appear twisted(http://www.greatbasinrovers.com/imgbin/catimgs/spiralbvlgears.jpg), and "non-hypoid" oils is usually used in the transmissions with straight teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You should also ensure the diff oil is an "EP" type for Extreme Pressure. eg EP90.

AFAIK all BMW use auto trans fluid (ATF) in their gearboxes, even the manual transmission cars !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

thanks for the answers - atf in a manual box?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

It does seem strange alright. I got my Gear box oil done by Robert Furley in Kells when the car was up getting other things done, so Im not sure exactly what he put in it. If a bit nervous, call into a main dealer and confirm it takes ATF if you want. TBH I reckon they will give you same answer because they use this realoem.com website as well. I see them on it all the time at the parts desk. When I asked them about the oil change for the diff they looked at realoem.com and said it doesnt need changing, read exactly from the website!

• Advertisement
Advertisement