Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food poisoning

• 06-11-2007 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

hi ate out in dublin last night and was up in the middle of the night getting sick and all day today. shoukd i ring the place and tell them?? know they can't do anything but should i ring

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yes, call them. There's plenty they can do.

They may have a batch of dodgey chicken/shrimp/whatever. If a pregnant woman, for example, was to eat there and have the same effects as yourself it could be dangerous.

You should also go and consult your doctor this morning. Note too, that you don't yet know if the restaurant was definitly to blame for your illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Ring the environmental health department of the local authority. If they receive a number of complaints, they will investigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

oh it was the restaurant only had a sandwich that day that i made myself and it was fine i'm ok today so wasn't that bad a day and a night of getting sic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Minder wrote: »
    Ring the environmental health department of the local authority. If they receive a number of complaints, they will investigate.
    I wouldnt go that far, First call the place you ate the meal.They can investigate.Sometimes it might be the individual person who's body couldnt cope with the meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, contact the restaurant themselves. It's only fair rather than going over their heads and complaining straightaway to higher authorities.

Failing that then the advice given below is sound.
    Minder wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

dudara wrote: »
    Firstly, contact the restaurant themselves. It's only fair rather than going over their heads and complaining straightaway to higher authorities.

Failing that then the advice given below is sound.
    I would agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭N_Raid

Yeah ring them just to be on the safe side. As Mr Magnolia said in case they have a dodgy batch of something. Just bear in mind though, that with some types of food poisoning it can take up to 72 hours from when you ate something dodgy to when you develop symptoms. So don't be so sure it was the restaurant just cos the only other thing you ate that day was the sandwich. Could have been something from a couple of days ago

You are all very forgiving. IMO if the restaurant has a dodgy batch of something, that is their problem, they have a duty of care to make sure that the consumer is not put at risk. Look at some of the shenanigans of the clowns that appear on the likes of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - Ramsay is always chucking out some muck left in an open box at the back of the fridge.

The restaurant may have poisoned you. If the environmental health inspector investigates a complaint and finds a clean kitchen, all the better. You paid good money for a meal. Why be so forgiving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

To be honest, I don't know if there is much you can do.
    If you don't have a sample of the food you ate for analysis - they are just taking your word.
    And if you didn’t actually 'see' anything that you think was dodgy, I don't know if environmental health are going to be able to do anything about it. It is not as if you were walking past the kitchen and saw aul Rat-a-too-ee making up your cesar salad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

A friend of mine got food poisoning a few years ago. He went to the doctor and gave a sample ;)

When the results came back they asked where he had eaten in the previous few days as they could close the place down basically....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

...assuming it could be proven that the infected food came from said restuarant/cafe/etc.

A friend of mine got food poisoning a few years ago. He went to the doctor and gave a sample ;)

When the results came back they asked where he had eaten in the previous few days as they could close the place down basically....

Exactly - I was at a party in a Italian restaurant several years ago. Of the fourteen people who attended, eight got food poisoning. I contacted the EH dept of the local council and was asked to submit a sample. By analysing the sample and comparing the results from swabs collected at the restaurant the EH dept could isolate the source, unfortunately I was all sampled out by that stage. Funny enough, a good friend took the place over several months later.

Advertisement