Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic desktop pc for mate....Budget E600

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Have a look @ this spec & tell me what you'd change. He's not a gamer, will be used for surfing, media, autocad etc. No interest in overclocking. Has monitor, Keyboard, mouse, dvd drives. Will prob be running Dual boot Ubuntu & XP as he hates Vista. Will be set up in raid 1 as i just rescued a hard drive for him & he's afraid of loosing his stuff.

Thanks in advance,

Pog

Edit, forgot to add that he needs tv out on gpu & just noticed thats a turbo-cache, will have to change

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Looks fine for what he needs. Maybe a bit to much. A slower cpu might be an idea. Also change the psu, FS psu's arnt the best. A Hiper will be good, and its only a little more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

No, he's lookin for something fast as possible 2 futureproof.

Will take your advise on psu. Would 400w be enough?
    What about gpu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It would be more then enough. IF he wants to future proof he can, with a 100€ upgrade in 12-18 months

By that time he could pick up a e6600 or a q6600 for probably less then 100€

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

HWV offers much better value if you can get over the language barrier (if there was a major problem this could be a pain but it seems rare). For example:

hwvordersamplerh0.png

Includes some extra paste in case you screw it uup like I did (worth €3 ftw) and even adding delivery it comes in under budget. The PSU is overkill at that also, couldn't find a more reputable brand for less, give or take €2.

;)

:rolleyes: Hey, where's the 2nd 500Gb hd?

I also think an 8 series gpu is waaaay overkill 2 some1 who never games.
    Is that mobo compatible with a 1333 c2d? I think not.

I'll have a look there later tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Change the cpu to a 2160? save about 50 euro, and he probably wouldn't notice much difference. Other then that, hard to imagine getting it much cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Whoops, didnt notice the mobo wasn't 1333...:rolleyes:. Otherwise I was just filling up the budget a bit, figured it was worth the 8 series and a little faster processing to futureproof a bit, as that was mentioned.

Think I've convinced him add a soundcard & use it as a media centre

Advertisement