Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conman in dublin city

Options
  • 06-11-2007 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

About 3-4 weeks ago, I was approached by an American man (late 50's) on Parnell Street (outside Cycleways) He asked me how long it would take to walk to the American Embassy. He explained that he had been mugged earlier in the day by Nigerians/Africans? Wallet, passport, watch etc etc. Anyway...he seemed pretty shook and had a nasty bump on the back of his head. He then asked how long it would take to walk to Store Street Garda Station. He had to look at photofits to see if he could recognise who attacked him.

I took pity on the guy (he seem genuine and harmless) and offered him a lift. YES, i know, risky...but I came to no harm. He told me that he was ex USAF of which I forget what rank he was. He was staying in Jurys Inn, Christchurch...room 302 I think. Cutting a long story short, I dropped him off at Store St Garda Station.

Again he asked, how long of a walk or how much would a taxi be to the Embassy so he could get a passport organised. I had 50quid handy and gave it to him. He got very emotional and didn't want to accept it. I said to take it for the taxi, which he did in the end. He insisted that I join him and his wife for dinner in the hotel and he would give me an envelope, but not to open it there and then. Last I saw of him was walking up the steps leading into the Garda Station. I had to pull off because I was blocking buses coming out of Busarus. He never made contact after that.

Here's the good bit. That night, I was telling a friend of mine (hi Lisa) about what happened. Turns out, this American dude tried his charm on again today...6 Nov...on my friends brother. This time he was attacked in Temple Bar.

SO< BEWARE...this guy is veryyyy good at acting shook up...he convinced me. Even the bump felt real, but it could be a growth of some sort.
    BEWARE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

What was in the envelope?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

How would a tourist know about Store St?

There's a garda station just around the corner on O'Connell St also!

Hope he is apprehended anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

humaxf1 wrote: »
    Even the bump felt real, but it could be a growth of some sort.

Are you a doctor?
    Because if you're not, they why the hell would you touch a potentially injured persons wound? :eek:
    That could have been open and you'd been exposed to blood and we all know about infection risks.
    Fair enough if the guy needed immediate first aid but not in this case.

Anyways this guy will get his commupence. Hang around Parnell St or Templebar long enough and eventually you will be randomly attacked.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭raheny red

Photi wrote: »

Yeah come on, what was in it. Anyway, can't believe you gave him €50, he was just a stone's throw from a number of cop shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Photi wrote: »

Do you people ever read word for word??? He never made contact after I dropped him off at Store Street:rolleyes:

He said that the guards instructed him to goto Store Street!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's really sad that people who genuinely have been attacked might not be helped by passers by, because of scammers like that jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Fair play to you OP, I have done similar things in the past, all genuine though. Pity the guy is a scammer. It's a real shame. I just hope it hasn't affected your future kindness

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

eth0_ wrote: »
    It's really sad that people who genuinely have been attacked might not be helped by passers by, because of scammers like that jerk.

Too true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

you felt his bump?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Táck wrote: »
    you felt his bump?

Is that a dublin thing to go about feeling tourists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

*mono* wrote: »
    Is that a dublin thing to go about feeling tourists?

It seems to be a Dublin thing to go about helping tourists from reading this thread.

The last tourist death was in Galway by the way.

Store St Gardai now know about this guy.

I am also trying to find out/remember which date it happened on. With a bit of luck, the carpark CCTV will be on record for that day and possibly show my car driving out with yerman in the passenger seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭donaghs

There used to be a Scottish guy hanging around Stephens Green in Dublin doing the same thing. Got annoying when you started seeing him over and over again telling his bull**** story about being robbed while on a weekend visit. Haven't seen him in about 3 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Sounds like a chap i met at a bus stop in Howth about two years back.

He also was american said he came over here to get married to some irish calainn, he told me he was mugged the night before in temple bar by some african dudes> took his wallet etc.

He said he needed to get to the US embassy straight away as they look after ex-servicemen, i taught he was genuine never for a minute taught he was pulling a fast one, so i gave him a few quid to cover the bus fare into town, he said he felt embarrassed taking it but i insisted.

It kinda disappoints me to think that this could have all been BS.

I mean do people actually make a living from this sort of thing or is it just for booze money??

BTW..have any of you come accross the italian bloke trying to flog off leather jackets, saying he has a flight to catch and he needs to sell them off before he leaves the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

10 marks a day, with an average of what 10-50 euro ?

Nice money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Humax is just telling us his story and people are having a go at him for feeling the guy's bump, what has happened to people in this ****ed up city?
    Thanks for the heads up Humax, Im around parnell square a good bit, will keep an eye out for this con artist and call the cops to come help him myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jesus the same lad did the same to me last year around Parnell Street. Only gave him a tenner because that was all I had. Very convincing scam.

Moral of the story: beware the mugged USAF colonel who lets you feel his bump.

Also have also come across Italian Leather Jacket man too, also got the laptop/bag of sugar scam tried on me.

Fairly shocked about USAF mugged man though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

philstar wrote: »
    BTW..have any of you come accross the italian bloke trying to flog off leather jackets, saying he has a flight to catch and he needs to sell them off before he leaves the country.

He's mentioned in the Characters of Dublin City.

zabbo wrote: »
    10 marks a day, with an average of what 10-50 euro ?

Nice money imo.

really!!....that much?? nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not to take away from the seriousness of the topic, but had to laugh when i saw the thread title , jasus i remember the days in Dublin when conmen were everywere ,and they were mostly dubs/irish .......LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There are loads of them around the place. When you live in Dublin long enough you get wise to them although we all get caught out once.

Some people might say a Nation of conmen ........

nearly got caught out with those f*ckers and the laptop.

was waiting at a bus stop near seapoint and two chaps pull up in a car, offering to sell me this brand spanking new sony viao laptop they showed me

luckly i didn't have my wallet with me at the time as i was surely tempted, heard later you end up getting a laptop bag with a phonebook in it.

A fool and his/her money are easily parted ..but that dont make it right .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

was waiting at a bus stop near seapoint and two chaps pull up in a car, offering to sell me this brand spanking new sony viao laptop they showed me

luckly i didn't have my wallet with me at the time as i was surely tempted, heard later you end up getting a laptop bag with a phonebook in it.

Thats one of the oldest ones in the book.

i see there was an item in the herald yesterday about our friend the american conman

i reckon if any of you come across him again you should wind him up big time.."oh ya sure i'll give you money let me write out a check for you for €1000";)

hi philstar,

would this be the 12th nov edition?

by any chance do you have the copy of that herald, if so could you scan the article?

cheers

he's mentioned in the 12th & 14th editions,

unfortunately i haven't got a scanner

I have the 12th and 14th nov editions here. I will scan them in and attach tomorrow maybe.

this guy is really chancing his luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

What happens when someone looks in the bag beforehand?
    Always look before you leap as my dear old Ma would say

Advertisement