Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

conman in dublin city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What happens when someone looks in the bag beforehand?
    Always look before you leap as my dear old Ma would say

They pull the old switcheroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

Anyone meet an Australian chugger in Templebar or around town in the last few days?, he says he is based in Prague and he's collecting for an orphange there that he helps run..he got 2 euro from me..cant help thinking he was not the genuine article..he had too many easy catchphrases..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

diarmuidh wrote: »
    Anyone meet an Australian chugger in Templebar or around town in the last few days?, he says he is based in Prague and he's collecting for an orphange there that he helps run..he got 2 euro from me..cant help thinking he was not the genuine article..he had too many easy catchphrases..

I DONT ADAM AND EVE IT RODDERS!!!

I ran into this guy IN Prague! Well, an Aussie who said he was running some type of kids project out there, think he said he was living there with the wife, he showed us a photo of his two kids (both boys I think, around the 3-5 mark?). Its been a while and there was alot of beer drank that week (never mind sleep deprivation), he might have been average to tall, 40 odd, maybe late 30s, fairly skinny, black hair? (as said, its been a while). Im not one for chuggers but sure he caught us, so I threw him a few krona coins, but we too were a bit wary of him for some reason, I dunno, might be grand but you know how it is.

If my description is reasonably accurate, wow, Ive always wondered how in murder cases or whatever people can come forward with information months after the event, or some tourist can remember running into a fugitive out in Spain weeks back, didnt think Id have it in me!

Of course, mightnt be the same guy, if he was in his 20s or 50s with a beer belly then Im talking bollix, id be interested to know though!

Oh, and if in Dubberlin you happen to run into a tall-ish fine black haired Czech bird called Vladka and her blonde tanned mate and they say they worked in the English Sports Bar off Wenclev Square, tell them the lads said hello :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

I reckon this guy has a brother in Madrid !

I was stopped by an American in the middle of Madrid asking did I speak English. When I said yes he started the same story .. had a crash .. no money .. where is embassy etc etc. I only gave him a fiver as I was working on holiday money!

I saw him again the next day and he was giving the same story to other tourists - when I went over and interrupted him I got a response that my keyboard won't allow me type.

Moral - they're everywhere!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The time share touts are the worst abroad , i had to drag a friend from a taxi because he was being brought away by a tout ,under the illusion that he had won a prize in a scratchcard.
    You havent ,they only want your credit card details to scam you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

humaxf1 wrote: »
    About 3-4 weeks ago, I was approached by an American man (late 50's) on Parnell Street (outside Cycleways) He asked me how long it would take to walk to the American Embassy. He explained that he had been mugged earlier in the day by Nigerians/Africans? Wallet, passport, watch etc etc. Anyway...he seemed pretty shook and had a nasty bump on the back of his head. He then asked how long it would take to walk to Store Street Garda Station. He had to look at photofits to see if he could recognise who attacked him.

I took pity on the guy (he seem genuine and harmless) and offered him a lift. YES, i know, risky...but I came to no harm. He told me that he was ex USAF of which I forget what rank he was. He was staying in Jurys Inn, Christchurch...room 302 I think. Cutting a long story short, I dropped him off at Store St Garda Station.

Again he asked, how long of a walk or how much would a taxi be to the Embassy so he could get a passport organised. I had 50quid handy and gave it to him. He got very emotional and didn't want to accept it. I said to take it for the taxi, which he did in the end. He insisted that I join him and his wife for dinner in the hotel and he would give me an envelope, but not to open it there and then. Last I saw of him was walking up the steps leading into the Garda Station. I had to pull off because I was blocking buses coming out of Busarus. He never made contact after that.

Here's the good bit. That night, I was telling a friend of mine (hi Lisa) about what happened. Turns out, this American dude tried his charm on again today...6 Nov...on my friends brother. This time he was attacked in Temple Bar.

SO< BEWARE...this guy is veryyyy good at acting shook up...he convinced me. Even the bump felt real, but it could be a growth of some sort.
    BEWARE

This sounds like it might be Chuck Kelly from Fair City. He gives out envelopes and the cops are looking for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭diarmuidh

shane86 wrote: »
    I DONT ADAM AND EVE IT RODDERS!!!

I ran into this guy IN Prague! Well, an Aussie who said he was running some type of kids project out there, think he said he was living there with the wife, he showed us a photo of his two kids (both boys I think, around the 3-5 mark?). Its been a while and there was alot of beer drank that week (never mind sleep deprivation), he might have been average to tall, 40 odd, maybe late 30s, fairly skinny, black hair? (as said, its been a while). Im not one for chuggers but sure he caught us, so I threw him a few krona coins, but we too were a bit wary of him for some reason, I dunno, might be grand but you know how it is.

If my description is reasonably accurate, wow, Ive always wondered how in murder cases or whatever people can come forward with information months after the event, or some tourist can remember running into a fugitive out in Spain weeks back, didnt think Id have it in me!

Of course, mightnt be the same guy, if he was in his 20s or 50s with a beer belly then Im talking bollix, id be interested to know though!

Oh, and if in Dubberlin you happen to run into a tall-ish fine black haired Czech bird called Vladka and her blonde tanned mate and they say they worked in the English Sports Bar off Wenclev Square, tell them the lads said hello :D

thats the same guy i met in Templebar; what gave him away was his clothes dead (scruffy but clean!) and the easy way he spoke..even if you only give them a Euro or two they can make a living from it..hate that..he was a typical Aussie guy in his early forties..blond hair blue eyes well spoken..and yes there's the photo of my two sons..mother****er...how dishonest can you get! he must make enough in Prague to come here on holidays!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Delganys Finest

hI,
    back to the original guy,myself and my girlfriend bumped into him on talbot street earlier in the year (dont remember when but before the summer defo)
    Anyway same story,except when we suggested he go to store st. he said he went to the Gardai and said that they told him to **** off,I copped there was something up with him but my g/f was about to give him dosh.In the end she didnt.He then asked us if there was anywhere he could get a drink(it was after2am) when we said no he seemed kinda put out by it.
    Awhile after that the same guy was seen by me on several different nights by turns madouravit and asleep in a city centre 24hour internet cafe in the early hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Still think you're either too nice for this world or stupid for giving him (a complete stranger) €50!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I had 50quid handy and gave it to him.

as long as that keeps happening, he's going to keep on spoofing. Was the lift not enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

He might have another bump on his head if you happen to 'bump' into him again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

diarmuidh wrote: »
    thats the same guy i met in Templebar; what gave him away was his clothes dead (scruffy but clean!) and the easy way he spoke..even if you only give them a Euro or two they can make a living from it..hate that..he was a typical Aussie guy in his early forties..blond hair blue eyes well spoken..and yes there's the photo of my two sons..mother****er...how dishonest can you get! he must make enough in Prague to come here on holidays!!

That is absoloutely unbelieveable, Im not even good for remembering names/faces of people I have known years ago. As said I always used to think it was odd when there would be a re appeal on Crimewatch/Crimeline on some crime that was in the headlines maybe 6 months ago, and all of a sudden the cops get new leads, people suddenly remembering they saw someone suspicious once the appeal reminds them. As you said, well spoken, quite fast talker, kind of like a good car salesman really. Your right, i cant recall his exact clothing but it was that kind of laid back way alot of Aussies dress, shorts, t shirt, sandals and the like (obviously he may not have been wearing the shorts when you saw him in Dublin, September in Prague is gorgeous weather daytime though, around the 20 mark)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Well guys and gals, you'll never guess who I spotted on Friday...yes, our American conman friend.

Luck would have it, I got delayed on my way to a customer on Manor Street. I parked up on Manor Street just up from the pharmacy. As I walked towards the parking meter, I heard an American voice. Who was it, only yerman. While parking, I noticed a Garda walking along, so I went down to him, explained quickly about yerman. As I turned around, Mr. Conman was walking by as I said to the Garda, that's the man who conned me.

He looked as if he had just crapped his jocks and look stunned. He started babbling, "I owe you twenty bucks...I didnt get a chance to ring and repay you". I said "You owe me €50, NOT 20" as he handed me my €50 back. WOOHOOO.

The Garda asked him a few questions etc etc and then he went on his merry way. WTF??? The Garda couldn't take him in because he's not the investigating officer. FFS...If i was to innocently drop a piece of paper on the footpath, the litter warden would be on me like a ton of bricks - €600 fine and/or 6months in prison. Where's the justice???

Apparently this dude has been in court before and there was also a girl with him, his "fiance", who is a local spunker (as the Garda put it).

Well justice has been done sorta...I got my money back. BUT, he's still free on the streets to target people who will take pity on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sapien2000

philstar wrote: »
    BTW..have any of you come accross the italian bloke trying to flog off leather jackets, saying he has a flight to catch and he needs to sell them off before he leaves the country.

-this guy you're talking about approached me in a supermarket carpark in Kimmage just last Sunday. He had two suits in his car. Said he was at the RDS where someone was "breaking his balls" (in business I presume) He was in a hurry to get to the airport but he couldnt bring the suits back with him, and he needed to bring 3 bottles of Chanel number 5 back with him. I thought a car park in Kimmage seemed to be a strange place for an Italian businessman to end up, broke, selling suits, on his way to the airport. I had 30 quid on me which I needed for the shopping, and I turned him down. When i told him he might have better luck at the airport he was outraged, in a very latin way, at the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

He looked as if he had just crapped his jocks and look stunned. He started babbling, "I owe you twenty bucks...I didnt get a chance to ring and repay you". I said "You owe me €50, NOT 20" as he handed me my €50 back. WOOHOOO.

might be some scope here to turn the scam on the scammer. spot the american dude, find nearest gard, report him for scamming you and get your money back. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Thread is 4 years old dudes..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sapien2000

Yes, the american scammer may have moved on, but the Italian conman Philstar referred to as the Leather Jacket man is obviously still operating in Dublin without being caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Apparently this dude has been in court before and there was also a girl with him, his "fiance", who is a local spunker (as the Garda put it).

Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Taxis used to be so expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yillan wrote: »
    Exsqueeze me? Baking powder?

A lady of the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

About 3-4 weeks ago, I was approached by an American man (late 50's) on Parnell Street (outside Cycleways) He asked me how long it would take to walk to the American Embassy. He explained that he had been mugged earlier in the day by Nigerians/Africans? Wallet, passport, watch etc etc. Anyway...he seemed pretty shook and had a nasty bump on the back of his head. He then asked how long it would take to walk to Store Street Garda Station. He had to look at photofits to see if he could recognise who attacked him.

I took pity on the guy (he seem genuine and harmless) and offered him a lift. YES, i know, risky...but I came to no harm. He told me that he was ex USAF of which I forget what rank he was. He was staying in Jurys Inn, Christchurch...room 302 I think. Cutting a long story short, I dropped him off at Store St Garda Station.

Again he asked, how long of a walk or how much would a taxi be to the Embassy so he could get a passport organised. I had 50quid handy and gave it to him. He got very emotional and didn't want to accept it. I said to take it for the taxi, which he did in the end. He insisted that I join him and his wife for dinner in the hotel and he would give me an envelope, but not to open it there and then. Last I saw of him was walking up the steps leading into the Garda Station. I had to pull off because I was blocking buses coming out of Busarus. He never made contact after that.

Here's the good bit. That night, I was telling a friend of mine (hi Lisa) about what happened. Turns out, this American dude tried his charm on again today...6 Nov...on my friends brother. This time he was attacked in Temple Bar.

SO< BEWARE...this guy is veryyyy good at acting shook up...he convinced me. Even the bump felt real, but it could be a growth of some sort.
    BEWARE

This is the part were I would realise its a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

charlemont wrote: »
    This is the part were I would realise its a scam.

For me it would have been '...I was approached by a...' but then I'm a cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

sapien2000 wrote: »
    Yes, the american scammer may have moved on, but the Italian conman Philstar referred to as the Leather Jacket man is obviously still operating in Dublin without being caught.

Is it a common scam? I've been hearing about it for 20 years now.

Advertisement