Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eircom wireless woes

• 07-11-2007 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,
    I am trying to get wireless to work on my new eircom connection, using hte netopia router, on a Dell inspiron 9400 with an Intel 3945ABG wireless card. Running Mandriva 2008 and the ethernet connection works fine. I have setup the router without wireless encryption in case it was the security setup. The SSID is recognised fine, and the signal is strong,but it won't connect?? Any ideas what to look at?

Cheers

S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Call eircom with the serial number underneath the router, they afaik have to unlock it over the internet so that they can edit the config page on the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

thanks, i will try that tomorrow - i wondered why i couldn't get it to work even on a laptop with xp installed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I don't know what sort of level your at with Linux so you may have already tried connecting through the CLI rather than through a GUI. But if you haven't then post up the output of running the commands iwconfig and ifconfig.
    Call eircom with the serial number underneath the router, they afaik have to unlock it over the internet so that they can edit the config page on the router.

Why would he need to get eircom to open up the config page? You should be able to manage most of what you ever need to do with the routers 192.168.1.254 page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

bman wrote: »
    I don't know what sort of level your at with Linux so you may have already tried connecting through the CLI rather than through a GUI. But if you haven't then post up the output of running the commands iwconfig and ifconfig.

Why would he need to get eircom to open up the config page? You should be able to manage most of what you ever need to do with the routers 192.168.1.254 page.

Didn't realise this was in the unix form :eek:and not sure of commands:o. Just trying to help.

Hi, using Mandriva i use the NetApplet to try and connect, it connects via ethernet no problem. Find below the commands requested - any ideas would be good. Do Eircom have to enable the router to anyone's knowledge (for wireless). My knowledge of linux is about 3 months old - so i can run most commands, but usually don't know what commands to run! Thanks for any help.

S

iwconfig:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

eth1 unassociated ESSID:off/any Nickname:"localhost"
    Mode:Managed Frequency=nan kHz Access Point: Not-Associated
    Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:16 dBm
    Retry limit:15 RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:59 Missed beacon:0

ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:8B:C6:EB:C0
    inet addr:192.168.1.1 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::218:8bff:fec6:ebc0/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6622 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:4861 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:5796462 (5.5 MiB) TX bytes:701444 (685.0 KiB)
    Interrupt:17

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1B:77:20:38:7E
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:60 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:17 Base address:0x8000 Memory:efcff000-efcfffff

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:588 (588.0 b) TX bytes:588 (588.0 b)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You're not associated. Can you try typing "iwconfig eth1 essid <your essid>" (making the necessary substitution, obviously)?

edit: You'll probably have to be root, or at least "sudo", to do this.

I had a call with Eircom, between us we narrowed the problem down my cordless phone, it was interfering with the wireless signal - we changed the router to select a different channel and after a reboot of both router and laptop's, i now have both xp on my work laptop, and mandriva on my own laptop accessing the wireless signal - i don't understand the problem but it seems to work. Surely the router and the phone dont operate in the same frequency band?

Thanks for your time and advice regardless.

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Thats a strange one alright. Don't think I've heard of that problem before. At least your sorted now anyway.

Advertisement