Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Delaying paying VRT until new year

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ned78 wrote: »
    Than the seller made a big boo boo, didn't he? There's a perforated section of the V5 that the seller tears out and posts to the DVLA in Swansea, it's an export stub - it covers the seller's liability, the rest of the document does not need to be filled out. The VRO does that when returning the remainder of the V5 to Swansea.

I don't get you ned, re the seller and a boo boo? The seller did send that tiny bit to the DVLA. Up till recently (18-months) the entire V5 was sent to the DVLA, and an awful lot of people are not aware that this is not the case any more. I had to presuade the seller that sending the whole thing would only delay the process.

@Kin Mak.. mid 2008 is actually next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

JHMEG wrote: »
    The date on the V5 shows what date it transferred into the ownership of the person now wishing to pay VRT.

The VRO checked the date on the V5 when I brought in the Accord. That date was the day before so there was no issue. If it had been 3 months before I presented the car to the VRO I would imagine I would have some explaining to do. I doubt the VRO would have to believe my story either.

They check the date on the V5 in the VRO and if it is within 1 day they take that as proof that the car has just been imported.

If the date on the V5 is 6 months ago then the VRO will generally ask for proof that the car has just been imported - this is simple to get around.

Just book a ferry ticket online (go for the cheap one that takes an 8 hour journey) and on the booking you put the UK reg. You then print off the ferry ticket with the date of the sailing and the reg and you can bring this to the VRO as proof that it has just been imported.

It doesn't even have to be stamped by the ferry company to say that you actually took the journey. You then go into the VRO the next day and it appears that you have just imported it the previous day.

I brought over a car from England on Monday and paid the VRT on Tuesday and it was the guy in the VRO that told me this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

you only have to pay vrt on a road car?
    why not say you bought it for offroad/track and changed your mind?
    this would be no use if your driving the car around,but if your leaving it on your driveway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kindalen wrote: »
    you only have to pay vrt on a road car?
    why not say you bought it for offroad/track and changed your mind?
    this would be no use if your driving the car around,but if your leaving it on your driveway....
    I think some ppl are missing the point here. The VRO is a section of the Revenue, and they make the rules. Unless you have evidence to back you claim they can do what they like... The taxman is the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ambro25 wrote: »
    No, they can't. They'd have to get a warrant to seize anything which sits on private property.
    esel wrote: »
    Re seizing car from private property: Think you're wrong there!
    :Think you want to substantiate somewhat there! ;)

No mate, as you made the claim, I'd say it is you who has to substantiate somewhat.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yes, its outrageous that someone might want to save EUR1k to EUR15k of a possibly illegal tax by delaying (not dodging it) paying it by a few weeks. We should all roll over and be told whats right and wrong and good for us. :eek:

Youre whats wrong with the voting public.

stop talking through your **************

the current law of the land says that you pay vrt... be it in question legally or not.. btw i didnt waste a vote on the current ********** thats running the country...

if you cannot afford to pay the tax then dont buy simple as that. when i buy my cars i have to pay the VRT, and mind u i have spend thousands on vrt over the last few years all on new cars mind you.

i would like not to have to pay it, but its the law...

as you mention delaying it , you are defrauding the revenue from tax due, by delaying it you are reducing the final amount that will be paid.. thus defrauding the revenue ...:D the law is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

JHMEG wrote: »
    I don't get you ned, re the seller and a boo boo? The seller did send that tiny bit to the DVLA. Up till recently (18-months) the entire V5 was sent to the DVLA, and an awful lot of people are not aware that this is not the case any more. I had to presuade the seller that sending the whole thing would only delay the process.

Sorry, I should have clarified. You said the Seller put the date of transaction on the V5 so if you delayed VRTing the car, you'd be hit with a penalty. When I imported both my bikes, and my MINI, both sellers just sent back the little slip, and didn't fill any details whatsoever into the V5 to 'timestamp' the transaction.

high-horse.jpg
    How's the view from up there? ;)

No, they can't. They'd have to get a warrant to seize anything which sits on private property.

yes they can. they can go onto your property and seize your car. if you dont believe me check it out yourself. i know...

will someone please inform this person......:D

what_car wrote: »
    yes they can. they can go onto your property and seize your car. if you dont believe me check it out yourself. i know...

will someone please inform this person......:D

Not without due proof that the car has been driven on the road. For example, I know of one car which is still on UK plates (Not mine by the way before anyone suggests it) which is exclusively a track car. The Revenue have no right to come onto his property and seize his vehicle, unless they can provide evidence that it has been driven on the public highway.

steve06 wrote: »
    get off your soap box, everyone knows the law! He's asking a question about insurance and has admitted he's going to pay VRT in the new year.... stop whinging!

im not on any soap box.

• Advertisement

Im am going to pay the tax but im going to make it easier on my posket as possible. For those of ye cribbin about not paying VRT etc..etc. :D

when i buy my cars i have to pay VRT so why shouldnt everyone else. the law is for everyone not just a select few..
    the discussion here as posted by the op is to seek advice on reducing the amount due to the revenue of VRT ..

I ASK NOW THAT THE MODS CLOSE THIS THREAD.:eek:

Could you two cut the bickering? There's be no need to close this thread at all. What has developed from the OP's question, is that people are asking questions about VRT, about the importation process, and learning. Which is what Forums (Fora(?)) are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I know somebody who had their UK import seized and impounded by Customs. He was stopped at a checkpoint one day by them and told to pay the VRT and have the car on Irish plates within 5 working days. He put it on the long finger and low and behold he was sitting down watching tv one afternoon and heard lots of noise outside his door. He went outside to investigate and found his car being put on a transporter. Customs officers were there in their clearly market uniforms along with 2 Gardai. He was told where he could get the car back and how much it would cost. He ended up paying VRT, a fine or penalty and an impound fee.

Customs do have more power than the Gardai and can seize the car on private property if they see fit. the Gardai are there as witnesses in making sure they are acting within their powers and the law in the event of a dispute.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I know somebody who had their UK import seized and impounded by Customs. He was stopped at a checkpoint one day by them and told to pay the VRT and have the car on Irish plates within 5 working days. He put it on the long finger and low and behold he was sitting down watching tv one afternoon and heard lots of noise outside his door. He went outside to investigate and found his car being put on a transporter. Customs officers were there in their clearly market uniforms along with 2 Gardai. He was told where he could get the car back and how much it would cost. He ended up paying VRT, a fine or penalty and an impound fee.

Customs do have more power than the Gardai and can seize the car on private property if they see fit. the Gardai are there as witnesses in making sure they are acting within their powers and the law in the event of a dispute.

exactly.. i hear that they read boards.ie posts too :D
    i have noticed an increase in the number of cars driving round on uk plates here..

:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

exactly.. i hear that they read boards.ie posts too :D
    i have noticed an increase in the number of cars driving round on uk plates here..

That's not to say though they are all avoiding VRT. Some could simply be tourists visiting the country or working here on short term contracts, which is not unheard of.

That's not to say though they are all avoiding VRT. Some could simply be tourists visiting the country or working here on short term contracts, which is not unheard of.

let me be more specific, have noticed older cars, here for ages and ages on uk plates, with expired uk tax discs in windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

let me be more specific, have noticed older cars, here for ages and ages on uk plates, with expired uk tax discs in windows.

I've noticed countless cars here on Irish plates, with expired tx/NCT/insurance dics in windows.

It's not just Irish who drive untaxed/uninsured y'know, a lot more Brits do (population/number of cars on UK roads in that situation vs total population/number of cars in IE) and some of those do take ferries as well from time to time.

Moral of the story - look thy neighbour's eye and all that ;)
    ambro25 : No, they can't. They'd have to get a warrant to seize anything which sits on private property.

esel : Re seizing car from private property: Think you're wrong there!

ambro25 :Think you want to substantiate somewhat there!

No mate, as you made the claim, I'd say it is you who has to substantiate somewhat.

Nope, what car made the (very generalistic) claim, I substantiated that they'd have to get a warrant to seize anything on private property.

You then asserted that "I was wrong" (no more), then so did what car (again, no more) - I'll accept your refutal of my substantiations if you can substantiate yours, but so far, all both of you have just done is claim that "I'm wrong". Way I see it, ball's in your camp, Champ ;)

The situation pointed out by bazz26 is different, in that proof was adduced by law enforcement that the car had to be VRT'd (under applicable law). In that case, it's not allegations anymore and there is a due cause of action by Customs. That is vastly different from asserting "they can take your care on your drive!" into the wind. And I'll refer you to my earlier post re. non-residents and cars not used on public roads.

Now, since there's already been countless threads on the subject in here, I'll not bother with this one anymore, but I felt compelled to correct some of the usual broad-brush statements trotted out by the habitual brigade, so on that particular point, apologies to the OP for the OT stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Ive decided ill pay it tomorrow, mainly due to the fact that their will me lot more garda check points etc comming up to xmas. It pains me giving the government that much money especially since they dont do anything productive with it my side of the country. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Not to mention the increase in Polish plates, Lithuanian plates, Latvian plates etc etc etc

Surely our East Euro cousins are liable for the same VRT??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

keefg wrote: »
    Not to mention the increase in Polish plates, Lithuanian plates, Latvian plates etc etc etc

They are if they are spending more then 6 months in the country with the car. Though its obviously easier to get the Irish citizens on UK plates then the massive amount of eastern european cars. It sickens me that they can get big volvos, BMW's etc and not have to pay our ridiclous road taxes. VRT itself is a real issue with me, as someone above said, its not liek the government do anything productive with it! Another reason to dislike Bertie, who thought it up first day back in 1992........:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

when i buy my cars i have to pay VRT so why shouldnt everyone else. the law is for everyone not just a select few..
    the discussion here as posted by the op is to seek advice on reducing the amount due to the revenue of VRT ..

I ASK NOW THAT THE MODS CLOSE THIS THREAD.:eek:

no matter what way you want to dress it up, VRT is a government after tax. It is only legal because......sorry, remind me again why VRT is legal in some countries and not others?
    Anyway, yes, everyone pays vrt when purchasing a car in Ireland and/or importing a car to Ireland. However it does NOT mean we should have to pay it or that we have to like it.
    I think the OP was only trying to save a few hundred quid, which in my mind, in this country, he should at least be allowed to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

The government use to "steal" old age pensions off people in nursing homes, this was wrong and they had to pay it all back.
    So maybe they will refund all the VRT someday!!!:)

So maybe they will refund all the VRT someday!!!:)

pork-on-the-wing.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

keefg wrote: »

Probably not. Most of them proibably owned the car for more than 6 months before they came to Ireland, so no VRT to be paid when they register. They may also fall under the temporary clausel (not sure if it is 6 months or a year) and leave again before that, so they don't have to register at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It pains me giving the government that much money especially since they dont do anything productive with it my side of the country.

......they dont do anything with it on ANY side of the Country !

Interesting point above, I haven't given it much though, why IS there a 6 month rule anyway ?

Like why should others be allowed that time and residents NOT ??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Why get your plates changed anyway? Just do what all the eastern europeans are doing and drive around on their own plates for years and years with no worries. YOU actually want to get car insurance which is a good thing, as most of the polish/czech/latvian etc lads i know that have been here years (Some upto 5 years) dont even have insurance. They have never been challenged or stopped here in Galway by either Gardai or customs. One guy i know here for 5 years has even been reported to the local customs (Given his address, work place etc) but nothing ever done. Ive been thinking for a while now about getting a foreign car and bringing it back.

MercMad wrote:
    Interesting point above, I haven't given it much though, why IS there a 6 month rule anyway ?

Precisely because (misquoting you ;)) "others should be allowed that time and residents NOT"

More seriously, I suppose it's a workaround for validating "their" argument that it is a registration tax and not an import tax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Nope, what car made the (very generalistic) claim, I substantiated that they'd have to get a warrant to seize anything on private property.

You then asserted that "I was wrong" (no more), then so did what car (again, no more) - I'll accept your refutal of my substantiations if you can substantiate yours, but so far, all both of you have just done is claim that "I'm wrong". Way I see it, ball's in your camp, Champ ;)

The situation pointed out by bazz26 is different, in that proof was adduced by law enforcement that the car had to be VRT'd (under applicable law). In that case, it's not allegations anymore and there is a due cause of action by Customs. That is vastly different from asserting "they can take your care on your drive!" into the wind. And I'll refer you to my earlier post re. non-residents and cars not used on public roads.

Your Alice-in-Wonderland Humpty Dumpty logic is revealing: "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less." Your say your claim is a substantiation, whereas my counter-claim is just a claim? Nice one. bazz26 explained the reason for the Garda presence at the seizure of the car. No warrant was needed. I know this, but I'm not going to bother proving it to you, as you 'know' different. I accept ned78's point in this regard, however, this does not validate your claim. Not going to bother replying on this matter, so don't bother embarrassing yourself more. Do some research, and prove yourself wrong.

Not your ornery onager

What's the matter with you, can't sleep?

I don't appreciate your tone - we're having a discussion, so what's eating you?

You really should calm down.
    bazz26 explained the reason for the Garda presence at the seizure of the car. No warrant was needed. I know this, but I'm not going to bother proving it to you, as you 'know' different.

So, so long as Gards are present at the scene, Customs/Guards can just seize anything they want anywhere?

Presumably (by extension), that means Garda don't need warrants either, when they're out to seize anything themselves?

Or is my 'Alice-in-Wonderland Humpty Dumpty' logic failing me again?

(I hope you're not thinking of Section 7 of the Customs Act, by any chance ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Play the ball, lads. Not the man

Advertisement