Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Delaying paying VRT until new year

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

what_car wrote: »
    stop talking through your **************

the current law of the land says that you pay vrt... be it in question legally or not.. btw i didnt waste a vote on the current ********** thats running the country...
    if you cannot afford to pay the tax then dont buy simple as that. when i buy my cars i have to pay the VRT, and mind u i have spend thousands on vrt over the last few years all on new cars mind you.

i would like not to have to pay it, but its the law...

as you mention delaying it , you are defrauding the revenue from tax due, by delaying it you are reducing the final amount that will be paid.. thus defrauding the revenue ...:D the law is the law.

Lol, you seem to be proud of paying VRT on new cars. Some sort of "Hardwick Hall, more glass than wall" powertrip.

I never mentioned that people delaying paying VRT were not defrauding the Revenue or dodging tax. I just dont care as an unjust law is by its nature unjust and doesnt deserve my concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

How do customs know where you live if the car is not registered to that address (If its got foreign plates)? Is it true that more UK plated cars are stopped in customs checks than other euro plated cars? Are Uk plated cars an easier target? Sounds all a bit weird and unfair if Uk cars are targeted more than other euro reg cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

snaps wrote: »
    How do customs know where you live if the car is not registered to that address (If its got foreign plates)? Is it true that more UK plated cars are stopped in customs checks than other euro plated cars? Are Uk plated cars an easier target? Sounds all a bit weird and unfair if Uk cars are targeted more than other euro reg cars?

LOL "unfair". Is it unfair if gardai target murderers over people commiting assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Is it true that more UK plated cars are stopped in customs checks than other euro plated cars?

Couldn't tell you, but...
    Are Uk plated cars an easier target? Sounds all a bit weird and unfair if Uk cars are targeted more than other euro reg cars?

Of course they're an easier target.
    To begin with, there's least probability of language barrier.
    To follow, there's always been quite an amount of co-op between Garda and UK police, re. obtaining/verifying details if needed. Dunno about PL or LT police (for example).
    To further, "irregulars" (non-VRT paying Irish/residents) are more likely to be driving UK cars than any others, as it would make little sense for an Irish to import a second-hand car from PL or LT ;)

Common sense, nothing to do with fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Stekelly wrote: »
    LOL "unfair". Is it unfair if gardai target murderers over people commiting assault?

So what you are saying that Uk reg cars SHOULD be targeted because they are committing a bigger crime then a LHD drive european car? That doesn't make sense to me.

Off record, if i was then to save my VRT and buy a cheaper car, i can put up with a LHD car. So shall i book my flight now to the cheapest country in europe for buying a car?...........Now LOL........Question, what country is cheapest to buy a car?????

Sorry i dont speak english!

• Advertisement
Advertisement