Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scott Brown Horror tackle

• 07-11-2007 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6NXeegtvBs

What a disgusting, cowardly tackle. Hopefully UEFA grow a pair of swingers and ban this cnut from the rest of the champions league. He was well over the top of the ball and then to make matters worse left his foot in to try and break the leg. Horrible.

(Having seen a teammate sustain a broken leg recently in a match, I cant believe this benfica player would try to intentionally break a fellow pro's leg. Coward is the only word for him.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Very lucky his leg didn't break.
    On the radio they explained he escaped as the front of his leg got hit. If it was either side then it was a very good chance his leg would be broken.
    Fair play to the player for getting up and trying to carry on.

This Benfica player should be banned from Europe (CL & possibly UEFA CUP if they finish 3rd) for the season, no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Shocking, absolutely shocking. Delighted that Brown didn't break his leg.

UEFA will come down hard on the player, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

F*ck me that was horrendous. Almost as bad at that Keane one of Alfie Haaland:p *waits for biting United fans*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

To be honest, it looked more painful than Keanes tackle although Im sure thats not the case. The way Browns leg is caught up in the ground makes it look more painful. For some reason, Keanes doesnt look that bad because his tackle goes through Haaland, almost with a sick sense of closure. Im sure Alfie would disagree though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Xavi6 wrote: »
    F*ck me that was horrendous. Almost as bad at that Keane one of Alfie Haaland:p *waits for biting United fans*

Thats what came to mind the second I saw it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Thread title is a little misleading. :)

Anyway, that Benfica defender was building up to that all night. Everything was going against him and he was getting really annoyed at the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

But nowhere near as bad as Thatcher's elbow on Mendes... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

horrendous

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was saying in the SPL thread that I nearly puked when I saw the replay of it, I honestly thought his leg was broken.

Wonder what UEFA will do, will it simply be a 3 match ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Tad late, he had is eyes firmly on the ball at all times.

Girly city players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Jesus. Theres no way the player was even trying to go for the ball. He clearly intended to take the guy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Thread title is a little misleading. :)

Well, I could call it "Binya Horror Tackle" but no-one would have a clue what it is about. POssibly a better name would be "Scott Brown on receiving end of horror tackle", but thats just too long!
    eirebhoy wrote: »
    Anyway, that Benfica defender was building up to that all night. Everything was going against him and he was getting really annoyed at the ref.

I hope youre not trying to give the guy and excuse for what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Disgracful!

Didn't know about it until the replay but it was obviously from the other Celtics players and the ref that something bad had happened.

Hope Brown is ok and that Binya is punished properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

stooge wrote: »

of course he's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well, I could call it "Binya Horror Tackle" but no-one would have a clue what it is about. POssibly a better name would be "Scott Brown on receiving end of horror tackle", but thats just too long!
    All you need to do is add one 2 letter word and rearrange the sentence. "Horror tackle on Scott Brown". ;)
    No I'm just saying he was a bit of a hot head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Good Christ that was cowardly. I'm really perplexed how Brown didn't break his leg but I hope that cnut gets a hefty ban for violent conduct. As mentioned above, it's not quite as bad as the Thatcher elbow but the intent alone should attract a severe punishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I don't think he was making excuses for him. Binya gave the ref at least 2 opportunities to book him in the 20 mins leading up to the "attack" on Scott Brown. If he had been booked it might have made him engage his brain a little. Deserves at least a 5 match ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Disguisting! Uefa will bottle it though... as usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Ouch...
    Bloody N..................................asty tackle ;-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

****ing hell that was absolutely disgusting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

crikey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Christ that made me cringe. he'll get a three match ban, then have a succesful appeal and be banned for one, maybe two.

tackles like that should merit bans in terms of months. it's amazing to think that Ferdinand got an 8? month ban for being stupid enough to miss a drugs test, Barthez gets banned for a year for spitting, yet this guy despite all the violent intentions of the tackle only gets handed a few matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

PauloMN wrote: »
    Was saying in the SPL thread that I nearly puked when I saw the replay of it, I honestly thought his leg was broken.

Wonder what UEFA will do, will it simply be a 3 match ban?

Yeah I was watching the game and I didn't catch the tackle the first time but I knew from the reaction of the players that it was a bad one. I had the same reaction as you when I saw the replay. Disgusting tackle - he should get a hefty ban for that. Fingers crossed UEFA will act appropriately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Nasty doesn't even cover it!

UEFA has got to do something about these kinds of tackles ... but as said before, he'll probably get a 3 match ban; reduced to 1 on appeal

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I ****ed my knee up a while ago and that makes me wanna puke - god in heaven I've not seen as bad on a saturday night in the square in Dundalk at 3am.

**** I regret looking at that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

It is a shame to see players diving and making the most out of what can only be described as a minor knock.

astrofool wrote: »
    But nowhere near as bad as Thatcher's elbow on Mendes... :)

Sure that was only a shoulder :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

If that had been a couple of inches higher then Scott Brown was in serious trouble.
    reminded me of Neil Simpsons tackle on Durrant, same angle and venom.....disgusting tackle.
    As much as i cant stand the wee bugger...im glad he should be ok for the italy game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I was furious with that tackle.

Scotlands best central midfielder at the moment and the Italy match is coming up next weekend. The ramifications could have been enormous for an entire nation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

2nd best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

What a scummy scummy individual. Get him out of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Good lord that was painful to watch. I'm the real victim here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

No, it reminded me more of Paul Bosvelts "tackle" on Denis Irwin at Eindhoven, in 96 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

At least UEFA have taken up the case now, 10 match ban and a €100K fine might make him think about it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Christ that made me cringe. he'll get a three match ban, then have a succesful appeal and be banned for one, maybe two.
    LoneGunM@n wrote: »

UEFA has got to do something about these kinds of tackles ... but as said before, he'll probably get a 3 match ban; reduced to 1 on appeal

I think you're both joking? Are you?

He will definetly get more than the standard 3 match ban - I'm guessing about 6 games - and if he has the temerity to appeal it will be increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Nunu wrote: »
    and if he has the temerity to appeal it will be increased.

why do you think that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

What's particularly bad about this tackle is the clear intent behind it. It looks to all intents and purposes like an attempt to break Brown's leg. Binya left the foot in ensuring that his weight would be fully behind it. Had it been from the side it would have broken his leg due to shearing force. This is especially nasty when the receiving player's foot sticks in the ground (think David Busst).

The little runt should get a 5 game ban and a nice big fine to go with it. The fines that pro footballers get are a total joke, this guy is(almost certainly) a millionaire and they'll probably fine him 3 grand or something pathetic like that. The equivalent of me going to court and the judge fining me a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

That was a horrible tackle. The camera angle from down level with the pitch makes it look even worse:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Far as i remember, didnt Essien get three game ban for similar? Although he never got a red card at the time, in actual fact to make the matter even more hilarious, the ref gave him a free kick!

This guy should get a serious ban and a massive fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Its time to make an example
    If you get 5-9 months for failing to take or pass a drug test which is cheating but in the long run only harms yourself and maybe your club to a lesser extent.That type of tackle could and has in the past ended careers,
    YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT 1 TO 2 YEARS OF A BAN.

• Advertisement

The inevitable apology -

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2868391,00.html
    BINYA `SORRY` FOR CHALLENGE ON BROWN

Benfica midfielder Augustin Binya plans to call Scott Brown to apologise for the challenge which could have broken the Celtic and Scotland star's leg.

Binya was sent off in Tuesday's Champions League Group D clash at Celtic Park after lunging at Brown in the closing stages.

However he insists there was no malice behind a challenge, even though Brown has claimed it was a deliberate attempt by the Cameroonian to cause serious injury.

Binya said in the Portuguese press: "I raised my right foot to the opponent but I didn't intend to injure him. It was a strong challenge.

"I tried to look for Scott Brown at the end of the game because I wanted to excuse myself, but I couldn't see him.

"I'll try to speak with him by telephone but I also want to take this opportunity to make a public apology."

UEFA have confirmed they will investigate the tackle which saw Binya catch Brown just beneath his right knee.

Binya was shown a straight red card by Swedish referee Martin Hansson, and Brown was substituted shortly afterwards, although he seemed to escape without serious injury.

Brown urged UEFA to take further action against the Benfica player who could face a longer suspension that the standard one-match ban.

The governing body will decide later this month whether he should face further sanctions.

A UEFA spokesman said: "This will be on the agenda of the next control and disciplinary body meeting on November 15.

"There will be at least a one-match ban but all red cards are judged individually so we will need to wait until the meeting to see if there will be a further ban."

Referee Hansson said in the Daily Express: "I couldn't say it was the worst tackle I've ever seen because I've refereed a lot of matches and seen a lot of bad challenges.

"But it is certainly one of the worst tackles and there is no doubt in my mind it fully merited a straight red card."

there was no malice behind a challenge

ROFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Its time to make an example
    If you get 5-9 months for failing to take or pass a drug test which is cheating but in the long run only harms yourself and maybe your club to a lesser extent.That type of tackle could and has in the past ended careers,
    YOU SHOULD BE LOOKING AT 1 TO 2 YEARS OF A BAN.
    The reason why they won't do that is because there is a certain element of interpretation involved in a bad tackle.
    Missing a drugs test is a definite. You were either there for it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

shocking tackle. he will prob escape a big ban cos uefa can be very lenient sometimes. d c**t should get a 5 game ban if there is any common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

tackles like that should merit bans in terms of months. it's amazing to think that Ferdinand got an 8? month ban for being stupid enough to miss a drugs test, Barthez gets banned for a year for spitting, yet this guy despite all the violent intentions of the tackle only gets handed a few matches.
    LoneGunM@n wrote: »

I think you're both joking? Are you?

He will definetly get more than the standard 3 match ban - I'm guessing about 6 games - and if he has the temerity to appeal it will be increased.

He got 6 games.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=512/newsid=619782.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Good. Deliberately intending to injure an opponent is not on.

That Souness tackle is hilarious, he didn't even pretend to be going for the ball. Goes down then holding his own leg.

Advertisement