Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just put my best friend to sleep

• 07-11-2007 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Just can't believe she's gone... Gonna miss her so much!
    I've had her 13 years and I know i should be greatful for my time with her, but just feel like **** all day. I know she hadn't got long to live, but it was the fact that i had spent the whole weekend with her and slept on the kitchen floor and basically looked after her.
    Then getting her up off the floor, making her say her goodbye's and into the car to the vets where she got out of the car and walked in without a bother.
    Two minutes later i'm holding her lifeless body in my arms! The hardest thing i've ever had to do... Really devestated!
    Feel like i've tricked her, betrayed her... Mixture of feelings. Mostly Guilt!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Obviously there were reasons for the whole assissted suicide thing, but you probably done the right thing, again depending on circumstances. My condolences. I'd send flowers but i'm flat broke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I know the feeling - I have had to do that too and its not easy. Post a pic in the departed pets section so we can all grieve a little for her as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Aw, it's so hard :( but you did the right thing if she was ill or in pain.

It's really like losing a member of the family. I have bawled my eyes out for days on end at each and every one of the numerous deaths and putting to sleeps of many family pets over the years. I've even bawled over finches dying, and I still bawl at nearly 30 years of age when it happens.

My parent's back garden is like a pet cemetery there's so many beloved pets buried there. I know it's early stages of grief for you yet - but one of the things we did with a particularly beloved pet was to bury him in a secluded corner and plant a bush over it - we can smile every time the plant blooms, maybe this might be something you could do to remember your little girl by....

Try not to feel guilty, although I know exactly what it's like to have to lead your poor trusting pet to the vet knowing what is going to have to happen. Heartbreaking.
    :(

Advertisement