Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT News

Options
  • 07-11-2007 1:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the new newspaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Too airy fairy for me. Maybe its just nostalgia, but in years gone by the articles were funnier or more serious...not this grey middle ground DIT news seems to have found.

Oh and authors name on each article would be nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

LOTP wrote: »
    Too airy fairy for me. Maybe its just nostalgia, but in years gone by the articles were funnier or more serious...not this grey middle ground DIT news seems to have found.

Oh and authors name on each article would be nice

Did you read the article on the Irish Anti War Movement? Id hardly say that was the middle ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I havn't read the article on the anti-war movement in DIT, but I'm glad to see they covered the registration office's fuck ups on the front page. Definatly a step in the right direction. Much preferable to the compact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I thought the authors' names were above the articles, but maybe I missed their absence on a few articles, must have a nice intensive read of it.

maybe im wrong and 4th year is just getting to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

supposidly squirrelmail isn't hot (it's taken 3 years and a first edition of a paper to tell us that), how about then implementing this new email system that's meant to replace it.

it's a pain in the balls trying to check emails especially now as a lot of lecturer's seem to be getting colds or attending funerals, squirrelmail taking 5 minutes to authenicate my username and password is extracting the urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭drogbaa

I thought it was good. It has a bit to go before it catches up with Trinity News, but it was definitely a good start (and Trinity News gets huge amounts of funding).

The Collingwood Cup article :mad: was a real scoop - should have been on the front page!

BTW do they have a website / online version?

I was comparing it to the old DIT indo and not the compact btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

drogbaa wrote: »
    BTW do they have a website / online version?

i always thought college publications would benefit greatly from a small site where they hosted PDF's of each issue. would also serve as a good archive...

Does anybody want to make a small site to host pdfs etc? :p
    I was asked to do it, but my web design skills were average 8 years ago, now they've got a rather bronze age feel to them.

Ah,there was one or two names missing alright.

Maybe I'm just not opening my eyes, but there doesn't seem to be enough happening in DIT for the paper to rival Trinity News or The Record (or the UCD lads for that matter.)
    Doesn't seem to be the same scale of SU drama, campus scandal and campaigning societies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Maybe I'm just not opening my eyes, but there doesn't seem to be enough happening in DIT for the paper to rival Trinity News or The Record (or the UCD lads for that matter.)
    Doesn't seem to be the same scale of SU drama, campus scandal and campaigning societies etc.

The fact that the campuses are spread out is obviously an obstacle, but theres no reason to think that among 20 odd thousand 18 to 25 year olds that there is no 'scandal' or 'drama' to be found. Theres plenty of interesting people and things going, i suppose its a question of finding it and writing about it.
    Forums and bebos and stuff like that are, imo, a pretty good solution for the spread out campuses problem.

There's loads of scandal and happenings and drama in DIT! Maybe we're just too polite about each other to print it. I remember reading a great story in Trinity News about a lecturer being suspended for harassment. Would we print something like that?

As for the website - can you not just cut and paste the main stories into a blog - then people can comment and respond to the stories.

There's a list of on-line student newspapers from the states http://www.kentnewsnet.com/channel/network

and here's one from the UK
    http://www.studentzone.org.uk/news/studnews.html

Good luck with that :D

Its good for a read at lunchtime on the day its printed, but im not sure too many people would notice if it went...which is a shame really

strychnine wrote: »
    The fact that the campuses are spread out is obviously an obstacle, but theres no reason to think that among 20 odd thousand 18 to 25 year olds that there is no 'scandal' or 'drama' to be found. Theres plenty of interesting people and things going, i suppose its a question of finding it and writing about it.
    Forums and bebos and stuff like that are, imo, a pretty good solution for the spread out campuses problem.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not noticing it or maybe it's because it's not the type of thing that gets reported in DIT... but there really seems to be a lack of student scandal. I don't mean stuff like "student X in Kevin St. slept with student Y" or anything stupid like that, but for instance Ogra Sinn Fein getting kicked off campus in Trinity, all the SU stuff ... I've only been to a few DITSU meetings but they seem very sedate and relaxed, not the Dail style antics of some other SUs. Ah, I dunno really, guess I won't complain until I try my hardest to dig up something interesting.

I would be in favour of reporting on lecturers etc... someones got to be an aul watchdog for the students. I remember a situation where one of our lecturers was unbelievably bad, I mean he wasn't just a bad at lecturing, he just wasn't covering any of the course content, so the whole class signed a petition to try and draw some attention to it. The lecturer was friends with the faculty head,so um, he was told over coffee that we weren't very happy... he came into the lecture and pretty much scolded us for going over his head and then he continued on his woeful ways. The exam had questions about things we'd never heard of. In such situations it's nice to go and raise some awareness of the problem so it doesn't just get swept under the carpet.

I've just read the new issue of DIT News. "Good job sir, good job!!" I like it.

Just some comments.

Sean Gilsenan looks disturbingly good in high heels! I know a lot of girls that would kill for legs like that.

Great to see TCD being hammered after their snotty poster about DIT.

Good to see coverage of important issues (like the ones we give about here) - the cost of tea in Java City, theft from Bolton St etc.

Great article on sailing club. My one criticism is that there could be a lot more on sports. The Men's football freshers team are in their all-ireland final next week. That should be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

Email the editor. They're always looking for suggestions

Yeah... any ideas will no doubt be joyously welcomed... maybe some of that scandal there's so much of? :D

Advertisement