Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway planning permission for attic conversion

Options
  • 07-11-2007 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

in Galway city - if i am to convert my bungalow attic into a bedroom by just throwing a window into the gable end of my bungalow - do i need to apply for planning permission? I built my house a few years back, and I dont have the conversion on the planning, nor are there any windows on the gable in the planning. I've heard that you do - is this the case? Cheers lads !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Pretty sure you would need PP, if you go ahead without it that would be unauthorised development and the council might issue an enforcement order, or you would have to apply for retention, which is a lot harder to get than the original PP.
    Also, if you did it without PP, you would have serious legal difficulties in a few years time if you wanted to sell the house...
    Can't see that PP for the type of development you want to do would be any problem, but you can call the planning dept in the council, they should be able to advise you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Yup, you do. Neighbour of mine put in dormer windows a while back and got in trouble because he didn't have the permission.

Advertisement