Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another why won't my car sell thread!

Options
  • 07-11-2007 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Have my Audi A6 up for sale about 5/6 weeks now and while I've had plenty of queries (i.e plenty of people offering me trade ins which I don't want/need!) very little movement on it so far in terms of viewing.

I've gone by the usual rules of making it the cheapest on carzone and have priced it below trade price/revenue valuation. Any feedback/comments on the ad?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=793182

All comments no matter how negative appreciated!

Cheers,
    BF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Biggish mileage - newish car - no warranty.

Most people looking at a motor like this will go to a dealer.

Also it's near the end of the year so very hard to shift cars.

Lovely motor though...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

big miles for age, unusual colour and fairly basic spec (no leather etc)

not easy shift

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

The lack of leather is an issue for this type of car, but apart from that it does have a very good spec.

Lack of warranty - the car is perfect in every way and well maintained receipts for everything - if I offered a warranty for 3 months would it make it shift any quicker??

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

To me the Ad is misleading.
    Reads 2005 in the header , reads 2005 in the year , only in description does it say registered Nov 2004.
    When I see this - no way would I hand over £30k of my hard earned.

Honesty in all things my friend....private punter would be afraid they might get done over by missing something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

Your ad says 2005 and it is a 2004 reg'd car, you are lying...so why trust you? That would put me off straight away anyway. Also mileage will put some people off.

^^ he got there 2 mins before me

• Advertisement

2005 listing isn't down to dishonesty - had fierce probs uploading it to carzone - wouldnt originally let me list it as a 04 car hence the 04 comment in description!

Will see if i can change it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

The lack of alloys will put a lot of buyers off too, it just doesn't look all that special, a nice set of alloys would help the sale along imo (although it's gona cost you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Firsy your ad is not catchy enough (the title) and as the year is wrong might put people off plus it doesn't come in the right results after searching.

http://www.funkymotors.ie/blog/2007/10/01/help-with-selling-my-used-car/

few tips for selling your car. might help.

I don't think it has high milleage for a car that is 3 years old of that make and model. If it's motorway miles you should mention that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Manual, cloth trimmed, "executive" barge all for €30,000 Thats your problem. And the colour is not a good one, silver or dark works best on big saloons.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=811683

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They are alloys believe it or not! Audi do put some sad looking alloy wheels on their base-spec cars... sorry OP.
    The colour is a bit "beige" (people want silver/black on big cars like that), and lack of leather/toys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

People with that kind of budget usually go to dealers for:

- Peace of mind (warranty & aftersales service)
    - Trade in
    - Finance (both for the new car and possibly to roll in some outstanding finance from their old car)

You're selling to a very small market, it could take a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I like the colour actually. Nice car. Yes leather and alloys would help it but if the price is competitive (say €1500 lower than an additionally equipped one) it should still sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I think the colour itself is very nice (and ive seen a few A6's with the champagne colour) so i doubt its colour.

The alloys however are crap and make the car look cheap (look into getting some new audi replicas)

The fact that it doesnt have leather also would be a big downfall.

...also would a traget market for an A6 really go for a 2.0 TDi as opposed to a 2.5 or 3.0 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Could you ask someone in the trade to sell it for you? Having said that, I sold my dad's 1 year old 318D privately, but I did have to go to lengths to prove I was on the level.

Again highish miles and basic spec and a colour that's not for everyone. Just rolling back the price away from €30k just a little more will help as an incentive to people to forego a warranty.

I wouldn't ASSUME you were being deceitful but I would change the wording to "registered NOV 2004-(2005 spec)".

Also, not everyone will agree here but if you really wanted to enhance it, these wheels would have been done amazing things for your car and set it aside from the crowd (I thought of them straight away but they're sold now). But obviously, such a costly lift probably isn't viable unless you come across a bargain like these were (Audis and BBSs are a fantastic combination). For €500, if I were in your position, I would have ran out there to buy them.http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8891&st=0

There's nothing drastically wrong here- it might just be a seasonal thing too. I also like the colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's five 2.0TDi A6s from 2004 and the OP's is the cheapest. Most expensive is €36,700.

There is a 59k one in Waterford in same colour with 59k for €32k which is the most comparable.

Reducing the cost to €28,500 will do wonders I think and the seller could basically stick to his guns at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭CarLover

Yeah...didn't spot the lack of leather. That's a problem alright.
    Manual could also be a sticky one...
    I actually like those alloys and the colour isn't an issue....it's looks good on a barge that size.

Price should be in region of 26K I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah colour isnt great, and these cars arnt in high demand.

There is another clouding issue here. Most of the 2004 A6 diesels listed are the older 1.9 TDI models. OP's is the more modern 2.0.

• Advertisement

I think half the problem here is that mine is the newer model A6 which although it came out in late 04 didnt really sell here until 2005.

Compared to the old model/shape 1.9TDI it looks a little pricey, but it is the cheapest 2.0 TDi by a good bit.

I have thought of selling it into the trade. One possibilty is potentially buying 2 cars and trading it in for them, then sell one of them on, I have been offered €30k and €31k on this basis for it....But that is last straw kind of territory - prefer cash and have my eye set on something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

I don't there is much wrong with the car or the price. The problem is very little shifts at this time of the year. People start buying cars in January, they see there neighbour/workmate/family member with a new 0x plate and that sets them thinking about changing their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Definitely nothing wrong with the colour, nice change from all the silver 4 dr. saloons out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I detect a car that came from the UK originally.

All those type of A6's here had speedos in km/h. This one is in mph. Could that put people off?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

manual + cloth in this class is a killer, as you're competing with 'repmobiles'.

A leather/auto combo (and I like the colour, too, btw.....), is indicative of more........prosaic(?) use. And, being a leather/combo, it'll stand out from the herd...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

E92 wrote: »
    I detect a car that came from the UK originally.

All those type of A6's here had speedos in km/h. This one is in mph. Could that put people off?

It is a UK car originally - but the mph shouldn't put people off as we were still using the mph in 2004 as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Surely the biggest problem is that for 30K you'd expect a car with warranty, maybe I travel in the wrong circles but I dont know anyone who has spent more than 20K on a private sale..
    If you have your mind on something you may need to bite the bullet and trade in against it...
    Cheers
    bam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

bf wrote: »
    It is a UK car originally - but the mph shouldn't put people off as we were still using the mph in 2004 as well!

Oh well mph wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I'm just saying it might bother others(anyway don't bother changing the clocks to km/h, I don't care how good a job is done on the changing the mileage(although all recent Audis can a dual scale trip computer so it can change the mileage from km's to miles and fuel economy from mpg to l/100 km irrespective of whether it has an mph or a km/h speedo), new clocks mean to me that the mileage has been tampered), but I will tell you what would bother me about your car:
    the wheels look like they are steel wheels even though I know they are not, the fact that there is no cow skin(leather, an executive car should have leather seats in it, though it wouldn't bother me), its not an Automatic(again, I wouldn't have a problem with that in the slightest but it would bother some people)but what does bother me is the colour. It really is a turn off for me.

If it wasn't for the colour and wheels and I wanted a diesel A6 in the morning, I think it would be a lovely car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

If I was in the market for a car like that, I think I'd go to a dealer. Saying that, thats a pretty good price. Why didn't you get a higher spec one when you bought it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The colour is fine - it might not be to absolutely everyone's taste, but it is conservative enough, and as such, suits this car - red or white would be the real sale-killer colours for a big Audi.

Cloth and Manual aren't ideal, but again they aren't the biggest issue - there are plenty of people who prefer a manual in any car, and who are happy with /not bothered about cloth.
    jimbo78 wrote: »
    If I was in the market for a car like that, I think I'd go to a dealer.

That's the biggest issue - my brother couldn't shift a 10k-mile mid-2005 Golf GTI (black with DSG) during early 2007 because its (fair) market value was a bit over €30k - ask yourself whether you'd feel comfortable handing over €30k to a total stranger for what could turn out to be a stolen/crashed/bodged car? (PS: yours looks very honest, so no offence intended!)
    Add the generally more risk-averse/lacking in car-knowledge kind of punter who would be looking for an executive barge, and you can see why it might not be a quick sale...

...in the end, my brother had to get the VW dealer he bought it from to sell it on his behalf and take a cut of the price paid (a dealer warranty was given, as they knew the car, and it was an honest example)

Advertisement