Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another why won't my car sell thread!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Type 17 wrote: »
    The colour is fine - it might not be to absolutely everyone's taste, but it is conservative enough, and as such, suits this car - red or white would be the real sale-killer colours for a big Audi.

Cloth and Manual aren't ideal, but again they aren't the biggest issue - there are plenty of people who prefer a manual in any car, and who are happy with /not bothered about cloth.

That's the biggest issue - my brother couldn't shift a 10k-mile mid-2005 Golf GTI (black with DSG) during early 2007 because its (fair) market value was a bit over €30k - ask yourself whether you'd feel comfortable handing over €30k to a total stranger for what could turn out to be a stolen/crashed/bodged car? (PS: yours looks very honest, so no offence intended!)
    Add the generally more risk-averse/lacking in car-knowledge kind of punter who would be looking for an executive barge, and you can see why it might not be a quick sale...

...in the end, my brother had to get the VW dealer he bought it from to sell it on his behalf and take a cut of the price paid (a dealer warranty was given, as they knew the car, and it was an honest example)

Agreed... I can imagine that the potential market out there willing to part with 30k to a private seller has got to be small for any car. Rightly or wrongly, people like the perceived reassurance of a dealer, a '08 plate, a warranty, the comeback if anything goes pear-shaped, etc. The vast majority of Irish motorists know nothing about cars, and would not be prepared to easily shell out that cash on an unknown quantity. Which means there's plenty of bargains out there for those that know where to look for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

May give it another couple of weeks and see how it goes!

Anyone know of any main stealers in the Dublin area who buy cars like this in?? Unfortunately I need a cheaper car due to a new mortgage so I wouldn't be trading in for a more expensive car....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

it'll be painful trading it into a dealer as the money he will offer will be crap. maybe get a few offers from them and place it for sale a bit higher than that on carzone.

Advertisement