Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers in Barcelona..

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

There's a Rangers-Chelsea thug connection alright, but I'd say the real fans don't have any particular association with Chelsea though.

God help the beautiful city of Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Indeed. If I was the Rangers manager I'd be playing with 5 in defense. They'll need to if they want to at least get a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

jackdaw wrote: »
    strangely enough there seems to be a connection between rangers & chelsea..

there was flags with RANGERS CHELSEA written on them...

is there ?

Yep, has been for a long time AFAIK. I'm surprised that you weren't aware of it?!

I was at the Rangers-Chelsea friendly at Ibrox pre-season and the Chelsea fans had a massive flag with "Blues brothers" written on it with Rangers and Chelsea emblems on it. They also spent the whole match chanting "Stand up if you hate Celtic".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

That_Guy wrote: »
    Indeed. If I was the Rangers manager I'd be playing with 5 in defense. They'll need to if they want to at least get a draw.

5? They'll play 11 in defence tonight, and rightly so. Messi will go feckin' mad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Theres been a connection between Clsea and Rangers fans for a long long long long time, a lot of it through the politics of many fans of both clubs.
    TBH i dont really care for it all that much, theres only one team i give a toss about.

Why did you have to leave the bar Jackdaw? Was there trouble?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Fwaggle wrote: »
    Yep, has been for a long time AFAIK. I'm surprised that you weren't aware of it?!

I was at the Rangers-Chelsea friendly at Ibrox pre-season and the Chelsea fans had a massive flag with "Blues brothers" written on it with Rangers and Chelsea emblems on it. They also spent the whole match chanting "Stand up if you hate Celtic".

Thats a shame...
    I was aware of the rumour but to be honest I never took it seriously
    when i lived back home a few of the lads would give me stick over it ..
    but I thought it was bulls**t .
    Im no Celtic fan .. but I must say i found the anti celtic, anti Irish abuse
    pretty hard to take, they were even giving the fascist salute to the Celtic Benfica game...

It's a shame Chelsea is associated with that..

Yep last night was bad enough, i can only imagine what tonight will be like...

Thats a shame...
    I was aware of the rumour but to be honest I never took it seriously
    when i lived back home a few of the lads would give me stick over it ..
    but I thought it was bulls**t .
    Im no Celtic fan .. but I must say i found the anti celtic, anti Irish abuse
    pretty hard to take, they were even giving the fascist salute to the Celtic Benfica game...

It's a shame Chelsea is associated with that..

Yep last night was bad enough, i can only imagine what tonight will be like...

Why in gods name shouldnt we be anti celtic??? the irish part fair enough dude im not gonna argue that point.
    As for the fascist salute......im not gonna make excuses for this ok but hear me out.
    These guys do not realise what they are doing, they are morons who think they are symbolising the Red Hand of Ulster. yes its moronic, but thats what they think theyre doing.

I have to laugh though, Chelsea fans arent exactly the quietest, cleanest best behaved bunch of people in the world are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

When Celtic played Chelsea in last year there would have been killings if it wasn't for the police. Not only Chelsea fans but fans of other London clubs out for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And the Celtic fans were absolute angels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Rangers - Chelsea - Linfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

when celtic played chelsea last season I had two rangers fans booted out for chanting sectarian abuse, they seemed quite shocked to find a bunch of irish at the bridge!

The chelsea / rangers connection has been there for ages, when chelsea were the most right wing hooligans and rangers had their pseudo-sectarian UVF thing going on which C18 got in on , there are always groups of Gers fans at the Cheslea home games and often meet up with the Chelsea firms when they travel up north.

There are quite a few chelsea going on to Barcelona after the Schalke game so they can practise their nazi salutes in the company of other idiots, strangely enough i only ever see these guys at European away games and never at home.

growler wrote: »
    strangely enough i only ever see these guys at European away games and never at home.

Spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's normally because they are barred.

DesF wrote: »
    I love the way you can read my mind... If Chelsea were playing in Glasgow I'm pretty certain there wouldn't be gangs of Celtic fans out to fight "the proddies".

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I love the way you can read my mind...

its not that hard once you get past the nakamura fantasies mate ;)

eirebhoy wrote: »
    I love the way you can read my mind... If Chelsea were playing in Glasgow I'm pretty certain there wouldn't be gangs of Celtic fans out to fight "the proddies".
    I didn't make a statement, I asked a question.

Your account seemed a bit nineteen-eighty-fourish to me. Some Orwellian revisionism I think.

I didn't make a statement, I asked a question.
    Chelsea (and West Ham, Millwall) fans were out to cause trouble which would have been sectarian motivated. Everyone knew there was going to be trouble as soon as the match was announced. It wasn't a match for Celtic fans to be bringing their wives and kids. It was a match that would bring out every Celtic fan that wanted trouble. Of course that's still a minority on both sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

There was a rake of them in Dublin Airport this morning on the lash in the bars as soon as they opened ! All getting the Aer Lingus flight to Barca. Wouldnt fancy getting stuck in the middle of that :eek:

Sizzler wrote: »
    There was a rake of them in Dublin Airport this morning on the lash in the bars as soon as they opened ! All getting the Aer Lingus flight to Barca. Wouldnt fancy getting stuck in the middle of that :eek:

OMG!!!!!! They were drinking in the airport as soon as the bars opened!!!! :eek: Animals! Youd never get any fans of any other teams DRINKING in an airport!!!! im ashamed to call myself a Rangers fan after hearing that.......:rolleyes:
    I mean drinking...in a bar...in Ireland...god, shocking behaviour.

Eirebear wrote: »
    OMG!!!!!! They were drinking in the airport as soon as the bars opened!!!! :eek: Animals! Youd never get any fans of any other teams DRINKING in an airport!!!! im ashamed to call myself a Rangers fan after hearing that.......:rolleyes:
    :D:D

• Advertisement

Rearrange these words into a sentance.......Sarcasm.....head...my...over :D

Rearrange these words into a sentance.......Sarcasm.....head...my...over :D

What ytou were being sarcastic?.....hmmm ill let you have this one...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Rangers are going to have to find a pretty big bus for this game

They can use the open topped bus they have booked for next May as they wont be needing it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What ytou were being sarcastic?.....hmmm ill let you have this one...:D

be careful about using sarcasms when talking about rangers on this form, it got me banned once

But of course they were, they always are

be careful about using sarcasms when talking about rangers on this form, it got me banned once

Dare i ask? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Yep, I saw them all on the other side. Bcna was a bit mad last night, but it's going to be mental tonight. Mossos will be out in force.

I can't see anything other than a win for Barça. Ronaldinho will continue on from the weekend and score another free. 2-0 win for Barça with both goals coming in the second half.

Mossos? Barca casuals/hooligans whatever you want to call them?

EDIT: Ok just figured out Mossos are the spanish polis...same thing really ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

The Chelsea-Rangers connection is well embedded and I have witnessed it whilst abroad.
    Also I understand that after an old firm last year both the Chelsea & Rangers "fans" wrecked the toll booth pub in Glasgow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,344 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

These guys do not realise what they are doing, they are morons who think they are symbolising the Red Hand of Ulster. yes its moronic, but thats what they think theyre doing.

Damn everyone for mistaking your 'traditions' (stop laughing at the back) for Nazi salutes. :rolleyes:

You keep selling it, but no-one is buying.

Damn everyone for mistaking your 'traditions' (stop laughing at the back) for Nazi salutes. :rolleyes:

You keep selling it, but no-one is buying.

Dude, i think my language tends to suggest that i am in no way defending these people i was simply stating the fact.
    Dont go looking for an argument when there isnt one mate im not in the mood to take you on.

And as for my "traditions" you dont know jack **** about me and my background so dont go making secatarian assumptions based on the fact that im a rangers fan ok?

Dude, i think my language tends to suggest that i am in no way defending these people i was simply stating the fact.
    Dont go looking for an argument when there isnt one mate im not in the mood to take you on.

And as for my "traditions" you dont know jack **** about me and my background so dont go making secatarian assumptions based on the fact that im a rangers fan ok?

how is that a sectarian assumption? don't be so tecthy, i dont care who or what you are. what offends me is that you are defending fascism by trying to paint it as something harmless. that sort of thing should not go unchallenged.

how is that a sectarian assumption? don't be so tecthy, i dont care who or what you are. what offends me is that you are defending fascism by trying to paint it as something harmless. that sort of thing should not go unchallenged.

I am in no way defending fascism...and i am in know way trying to pass it off as something "Harmless" either mate. I think thats pretty clear.
    As for the sectarian assumptions man, i doubt your comment about my "traditions" are extremely doused in sarcasm no?

I am in no way defending fascism...and i am in know way trying to pass it off as something "Harmless" either mate. I think thats pretty clear.
    As for the sectarian assumptions man, i doubt your comment about my "traditions" are extremely doused in sarcasm no?

i never alluded that you make these nazi gestures, and in no way would i, so i wasnt referring you your traditions personally.

• Advertisement

Fair enough...and really i wasnt defending the actions of a certain section of our support, far from it

well....im not entirely sure what that proves?
    there was an estimated 20 odd thousand Rangers fans there and the best that video could show us was one guy getting stopped from entering the stadium and a few guys in the distance who might have been involved in a fight....well done.
    EDIT: MY Spanish Aint great but the tone of that piece is almost dissapointed...but what the hell celtic behavved better well done.
    ****in tabloids dont you love them in any country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There was an Irish flag with the word Celtic written across it draped over the hoardings at the match last night. You could see it just behind the goal to the left.

yep seen it too...was absolutely shocked so i was...i thought the barca fans were angels and would do nothing to rub the gers fans up the wrong way, coz theyre all loveley guys........

• Advertisement

I thought this video was funny. A big fight going on in the background and it's of mild interest to some people. :D

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/futbol/champions/es/desarrollo/1055265.html

The media seemed to be out in force with their camera's. The Spanish see Celtic as the good guys, Rangers as the trouble makers.

Again...about 6 people involved in a bit of a scrap between themselves...seems the spanish medias scandalous outcries before the game have left them looking a little thick really.

"Oh look theres a really drunk guy getting carried home by his mates, get that we need to fill this minute!"
    FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Chelsea fan here,
    There was about 20 years ago, the thugs that followed Chelsea, the "Headhunters" followed Rangers in Scotland and Linfield in the North, I'm Irish and not a headhunter so I steer clear of that mess, I hate Rangers and Linfield and prefer not to bring politics into football, which the majority of mindless twats invariably do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

DerKaiser wrote: »
    Chelsea fan here,
    There was about 20 years ago, the thugs that followed Chelsea, the "Headhunters" followed Rangers in Scotland and Linfield in the North, I'm Irish and not a headhunter so I steer clear of that mess, I hate Rangers and Linfield and prefer not to bring politics into football, which the majority of mindless twats invariably do

Then why do you hate Rangers and Linfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

well....im not entirely sure what that proves?
    there was an estimated 20 odd thousand Rangers fans there and the best that video could show us was one guy getting stopped from entering the stadium and a few guys in the distance who might have been involved in a fight....well done.
    EDIT: MY Spanish Aint great but the tone of that piece is almost dissapointed...but what the hell celtic behavved better well done.
    ****in tabloids dont you love them in any country?

That article is a load of sensationalist rubbish!

British clubs in the Champions League usually bring a large travelling support. Add to that the fact that they all seem to congregate in a small area in the middle of the city and get absolutely wasted, piss all over the place etc. It's not specifically anti-Rangers, that rag just latched onto the whole sectarian angle. It's just a clash of cultures.

It's a shame that travelling support make such a mess of a place though regardless of what club they support. Can people not have a few beers and enjoy themselves without pissing and puking everywhere and treating the streets like a bin?

Just brings a bad name to the clubs and the majority of decent supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

bohsman wrote: »
    Then why do you hate Rangers and Linfield?

Go on the BOHS!

Footballing reasons, I watch Celtic and Glentoran on occasion, just rivalries, nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's a shame that travelling support make such a mess of a place though regardless of what club they support. Can people not have a few beers and enjoy themselves without pissing and puking everywhere and treating the streets like a bin?

Can't we all just get along...

at the end of the day paul, if you get 20,000 drunk people in one place then more than likeley the place is gonna be a mess afterwards...its not just a football thing really.
    Go into any busy nightclub or bar at just after kicking out time youll see what i mean.
    As for the spanish press...i cant believe how hard theyve tried to sensationalise their reports today...NOTHING of any real note happened...sure there were a few mishaps but thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Can people not have a few beers and enjoy themselves without pissing and puking everywhere and treating the streets like a bin?

Sounds like Dublin city centre every weekend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement