Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rangers in Barcelona..

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PauloMN wrote: »
    It's a shame that travelling support make such a mess of a place though regardless of what club they support. Can people not have a few beers and enjoy themselves without pissing and puking everywhere and treating the streets like a bin?

Just brings a bad name to the clubs and the majority of decent supporters.
    http://i21.tinypic.com/wb8byt.jpg

:D

Eirebear, I'm just posting a picture. I know it'd be the same if it was Celtic fans. No need to reply. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

eirebhoy wrote: »

Eirebear, I'm just posting a picture. I know it'd be the same if it was Celtic fans. No need to reply. ;)

lol but i want to!
    Cracking picture, should be titled "with friends like these" :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

eirebhoy wrote: »

Funnily enough, it was that picture I was thinking about when I posted, I saw it on KDS.

Look at the state of the place though. ****ing animals.

PauloMN wrote: »
    Funnily enough, it was that picture I was thinking about when I posted, I saw it on KDS.

Look at the state of the place though. ****ing animals

are you for real paul? have you ever seen the aftermath of any big event which involves thousands of people drinking, eating from take aways etc?
    Have you seen any city centre street as the clubs come out?
    get serious dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ya think that is bad!? ya wanna seen Syntagma Square in Athens after the CL final in Athens last year.....place was like a rubbish tip! Ahhhh the memories :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Eirebear wrote: »
    are you for real paul? have you ever seen the aftermath of any big event which involves thousands of people drinking, eating from take aways etc?
    get serious dude

It's the fact that 15,000-20,000 Rangers fans turned up for a Champions League group game when only 6,200 had tickets that authorities in Barcelona have taken issue with. Rangers fans basically took over an area in the centre of the city, got really drunk and were pissing on some of the monuments in the middle of the day. It'd be akin to thousands of people getting locked around O'Connell Street and all pissing around the Spire.

The article linked earlier was very sensationalist, this one is a lot more balanced and from the most respected broadsheet in Barcelona (unfortunately it's in Spanish). http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20071106/53409351259.html

According to the article, around 700 people were involved in throwing glass bottles and generally acting the bollix. A few businesses, including one of the most well-known bars/cafes had to close because of it. This happened on Tuesday night and there were no arrests made.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20071108/53409808008.html
    It's also caused a bit of a stir in the local council. Councillors and residents criticised police for not upholding the law and for not maintaining public order. They say that thousands of tourists visit Barcelona daily but don't cause/aren't allowed do these types of things.

I'm just picking out bits and pieces btw. An interesting statistic,
    Las brigadas municipales de limpieza han recogido en las últimas horas en el entorno de la plaza Catalunya cerca de cuatro toneladas de basura generadas principalmente por los seguidores del equipo escocés, una cifra muy importante, si se tiene en cuenta que en la noche de fin de año, en esa misma zona de la ciudad, los "residuos festivos" suelen rondar las trece toneladas.
    Source:http://www.lavanguardia.es/lv24h/20071108/53409773537.html

It says that there were 4 tonnes of rubbish left behind by Rangers fans which was more than the 3 tonnes created on New Years Eve, when the exact same area is packed for the new year's festival.

It's basically a clash of cultures and the civil authorities don't seem happy with their "invasion" and the mess they caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Mr Alan wrote: »
    ya think that is bad!? ya wanna seen Syntagma Square in Athens after the CL final in Athens last year.....place was like a rubbish tip! Ahhhh the memories :(

I was there too. Dirty Scousers! :p:D

I was in Milan aswell when Celtic played AC last year and there was a nice big mess left behind.

It's nothing unique to Rangers fans. I think it just took the authorities in Barcelona by surprise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

get serious dude

Oh I know, I know. But most big events, like concerts and that, are in an enclosed area - I know there's going to be a lot of litter and dirt around events like that and I accept that. It's the open public areas like city centres where I don't like to see the place turned into a pig sty. I just think it's manky that people have to put up with that ****e when trying to get home from work, shopping etc. in the city - having to put up with drunk scumbags pissing and puking all over the place as well as the litter they create.

Don't mind me, I'm just sounding off. Litter and disrespect for peoples' environment - especially in other peoples' countries - is a pet hate of mine. Bugs me no end. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Spanish Paper Tells Rangers Not To Come Back

Translated

PLEASE, DON'T EVER COME BACK AGAIN

Dear Rangers supporters- never come back to Barcelona again. And not because your players themselves aren’t a legitimate team. No, it’s not because of that- the Nou Camp frequently hosts teams who are lazy, boring, who only defend, who run and kick their opponents, and who shouldn’t be in elite competition. On top of this, Rangers merely defend, run at the opposition and play dirty. Their defenders are butchers, their midfielders, heavy-footed; and their strikers just stand there like the furniture.

But even apart from the footballing aspect, the best thing would be for Rangers never to return to Barcelona, because every time they do, they make a mess of the place. 35 years ago, you (the Rangers supporters) destroyed the seats at the Nou Camp. This time we have enjoyed no less than 48 hours of brawls, provocation, rackets, fights and common drunk women throughout the whole city, which you have fouled however you pleased.

Stay at home and vomit in your own living-room, urinate in your sitting-room corners, fight with your neighbours, the Celtic supporters (who deserve a prize just for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow instead. Don’t come back here again, because it is not a laughing matter. And, by extension, don’t play in the Champions’ League either. You are not at that level neither in a sporting nor human sense.

There are noisy groups of supporters who, although they drink vast amounts of beer, make friends at the same time. But you? Not you, because everywhere you go, you turn into a rubbish tip. You are undesirables. And so are those who fraudulently sell, or “rent out” their tickets. These people screw Barca over, because they trade their season tickets illegally. And in doing this they cause massive annoyance for other members of the club. A true Barcelona fan would not re-sell their ticket for the match. If you are not going to the match, give it to a family member, or you could even use the 'Seient Lliure' service (an automated ticket service used by some Spanish clubs including Barcelona).

From now on, the responsibility lies with UEFA and the club itself to ensure who the ticket is sold to. The best thing for all of us would be that you as a supporter, in a moment of lucidity, decide not to travel if you do not have tickets. As that is never going to happen, those who sell the tickets illegally must be brought to justice. But the best thing would be if we never had to play Rangers again.

(Printed in El Mundo, 8/11/2007)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That reporter needs to get off the fence and say what he really thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Barca are like Arsenal (Don't get me wrong gooners, I like your team a lot, v good to watch) but unless teams line up on either side of the pitch and allow them to march up the field and score they accuse them of playing ugly football, I love to see Barca getting beat by well organised defensive teams, it just annoys them so much, Barca are simply put - SORE LOSERS

DerKaiser wrote: »
    Barca are like Arsenal (Don't get me wrong gooners, I like your team a lot, v good to watch) but unless teams line up on either side of the pitch and allow them to march up the field and score they accuse them of playing ugly football, I love to see Barca getting beat by well organised defensive teams, it just annoys them so much, Barca are simply put - SORE LOSERS
    You do know that they won the other night? And quite comfortably at that.

What a joke,

How about this for an idea.

Barca, you knew that over 20,000 Rangers supporters were expected in your beautiful city for the day of the game. How about showing them a litle respect before they came, rather than filling your newspapers with reports about 1972 and how violent and scummy the Rangers supporters are?
    When you came to Glasgow a fortnight ago you brought with you around 5,000 supporters who were to a man welcomed into the city with open arms.
    Whats more RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB provided an area where your supporters could go and have a drink, relax with some food and enjoy some free entertainment and facilities without any hassle from the outside world, where Rangers supporters mingled with the barcalona fans without any trouble whatsoever. You could not even provide a few portaloos, i have heard people talk about how they queued for nearly an hour to use a burger king toilet.
    Our newpapers talked of how one of the greatest teams in the world were coming to play in our city and how great that was for poor lowly scottish football and that it was a great honour for Rangers to play against your club for the first time in our history.
    Maybe if you had extended the hand of freindship and set up some sort of facility like the one in Glasgow, the athmosphere would have been less tense, if your newpapers had shown respect to our club and to our country....not to mention the bareley disguised undertones of religious and political issues.
    Barcalona you have shown yourself to be an arrogant city, with an arrogant club at your heart. Rangers supporters are by no means perfect, that has been shown to an extent in the last few days, but we are not the neanderthals that you would like to make us out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I think its a case of Rangers fans reputations preceeding themselves. 40 or 50 Rangers fans pelted missiles at the opposition team bus in Villareal last year lest we forget. Dont think its anything to do with religion etc, just the fans have made a bad name for themselves and its stuck. Most Rangers fans are of course decent and well behaved, there is a significant minority who aren't. Any relatively minor incidents will get magnified on account of this.

That said, Celtic fans are a better breed of people and I'm glad the Barcelona and Spanish press agree. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You do know that they won the other night? And quite comfortably at that.

Alright, alright, I was talking in general :D

• Advertisement

I think its a case of Rangers fans reputations preceeding themselves. 40 or 50 Rangers fans pelted missiles at the opposition team bus in Villareal last year lest we forget. Dont think its anything to do with religion etc, just the fans have made a bad name for themselves and its stuck. Most Rangers fans are of course decent and well behaved, there is a significant minority who aren't. Any relatively minor incidents will get magnified on account of this.

That said, Celtic fans are a better breed of people and I'm glad the Barcelona and Spanish press agree. ;)

Mate look at all of the reports again...lots of mentions of unionism and protestantism etc etc...even a mention of how most Rangers fan dont care for the rights of scotland! theres an obvious link here considering catalonia's fight for independance etc etc.
    As for the villareal bus...one window was smashed....im not excusing it, but its been massiveley overblown.
    Much like the celtic fans who pelted the press bus in Milan with missiles...oh no wait...most reporters and photographers who were on that bus seemed to miss it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Mate look at all of the reports again...lots of mentions of unionism and protestantism etc etc...even a mention of how most Rangers fan dont care for the rights of scotland! theres an obvious link here considering catalonia's fight for independance etc etc.
    As for the villareal bus...one window was smashed....im not excusing it, but its been massiveley overblown.
    Much like the celtic fans who pelted the press bus in Milan with missiles...oh no wait...most reporters and photographers who were on that bus seemed to miss it ;)

Eirebear, you make me laugh. :D The whole world is conspiring against Rangers fans of course. :) We all know a more delighful bunch of fans you couldn't hope to meet............yeah right! Fact is they've a bad reputation in a lot of places, and if they continue to get involved in drunken scuffles, nazi salutes and other inflammatory situations its not likely to improve either.

Eirebear, you make me laugh. :D The whole world is conspiring against Rangers fans of course. :) We all know a more delighful bunch of fans you couldn't hope to meet............yeah right! Fact is they've a bad reputation in a lot of places, and if they continue to get involved in drunken scuffles, nazi salutes and other inflammatory situations its not likely to improve either.

EGB mate...i wont deny the fact that we have some less than savoury sections of our support i dont think i have in this thread either, BUT i dont think were any worse than any other set of fans in the world really.
    I do however think the spanish press have been very much out to get us this time around....we do have a tory with the spanish polis after all!

Imagine the uproar if a team that celtic were playings fans unveiled a union flag with a loyalist slogan in order to wind them up for a second...

I do however think the spanish press have been very much out to get us this time around....
    Infamy, Infamy! They all have it in for me!!!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Infamy, Infamy! They all have it in for me!!!

Just because were paranoid doesnt mean everyone isnt out to get us ok? :D;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement