Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zoned Central Heating

Options
  • 07-11-2007 10:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, This may be a stupid question - probably is.
    I have zoned central heating. When I turn off the upstairs zone and only have the downstairs zone on, the downstairs heats fine but after about 10 minutes some of the upstairs radiators start to heat up and remain heated until I switch off the central heating.
    Is this normal? It seems to be a waste that these radiators are heating up when I don't need them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What happens when you run it with the upstairs on and the downstairs off. Do those same rads still heat up?

Reason I ask is just to check that the plumbing is correct and that they are not plumbed into the wrong zone.

If they are correct, then it sounds like there is some leakage through your motorised valve which is allowing some flow to these rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭secman

I had a similar problem and had to get the Plumber back, the valve which actually switched the upstair zone on and off had to be adjusted. Apaparently there is some type of switch mechanism in the valve and it simply had to be adjusted and problem was sorted. Plumber had said ifn it was not that , it could have been a faulty valve.

Yours

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 behan_a

Hi Avns1s,
    Yes these radiators do heat up when the upstairs zone is on so I don't think they are corrected to the wrong zone.
    Hi Secman, yes I suspected that it was something like that alright or a leakage.

Thanks to both of ye for your replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

maybe reduce the pump speed:gravity will always assist the upstairs circuit: normal CH pumps just stay going at the full rate and will try force water through the closed valves, the valves do not give a 100% tight close: the alpha range from grudfos detect the resistance so the more rads that are closed the less they pump

Hi ircoha,
    how do i reduce the pump speed?
    Just to add, the central heating is worked by an kersone fired outside boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There may be a dial on the pump to set it from 1 - 4 for example.
    Try getting the manufacturer name and searching online!

reducing the pump speed didnt work. So I guess its a problem with the zone valve

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

If its the valve then all the radiators upstairs would heat not just some of them?

Why would it be that only some of the upstairs rads would heat - is there 3 zones?

no just 2 upstairs and downstairs

Advertisement