Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a bike set up....Cycleways!!!

Options
  • 07-11-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have heard great things about cycleways digital system for setting you up on a bike, I would be keen to get this done as I am doing next seasons triathlon and possibly duathlon season,

Anyone got any opinions on this??

I know nothing about cycling or the correct posture, set up etc, and think this would be very good,

Also are the saddles with the slit in them worth getting??

http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/12751/Selle-Italia-Flite-Gel-Flow-Ti/

Thanks guys,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

They don't have a great degree of experience nor a great reputation in the triathlon market. I'm not sure you want your bike set up by somebody with little or no triathlon experience.

I personally wouldn't let them touch any of my bikes nor my set up on them. I certainly wouldn't pay them to do it.

Steer well clear for anything other than spare tubes is my opinion of that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got fitted there, but I was doing it for comfort on long rides rather than performance. Got a free stem out of it also.

Tunney, have you had a bad experience with their bike fitting? Are there other places which offer a similar service?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

No bad experience with their bike fitting. Just no confidence in it based on my other interactions with them. And these interactions have *definitely* shown their lack of understanding of the needs of a multisport athlete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

I would agree with Tunney on this, fitting for tri is completly different to road/mtb and to get any benefit should only be done by someone who understands the difference.
    Saddle height, seat angle, stem lenght, even frame size are all different for tri compared to road. My road bike is 56 but I ride a 54 tri bike.
    When being fitted it should also be taken into account which part of the saddle you sit on as it can affect seat height by as much as 2 cm.
    This is a big part of what we do, and we have fitted somewhere in the region of 5-600 people for tri, as a result my early fittings based on principles learned for road cycling are very different to how I fit people now after racing tri myself for a number of years and working with both elite and age groupers and refining the process based on feedback, power testing and time trials to test different set ups.
    The difference in time between a proper v's bad or incorrect set up on the same bike, same rider, course etc can be as much as 4-6mins for 40k.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

spoke to wheelworx, Rob, and found him very helpful, going out on sunday to get measured up so I will let you all know how I got on,

Cheers for all the replies,

• Advertisement
Advertisement