Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshop query

• 07-11-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I just used Photoshop for the first time a few days ago, messed about with some images etc.
    But when I went to do some more editing last night, I saw that any changes that I made to photos a few days ago, are now automatically made to the ones I'm opening. eg curves are altered upon opening.

Is there any way I can stop this happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Either save the edited images to a different name or location, or use layer adjustment masks, and seperate layers to edit your images, otherwise all adjustments will be made to your background layer. :)

If in doubt, duplicate layer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mishima

Thanks for the reply!

So can I undo the changes/create a blank layer? I'm a beginner with PS hence the probably obvious answers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Always better off to ask!

If you've saved the changes, you're stuck with them unless you have another copy of the file, I'm afraid.

I'm gonna move this into the digital darkroom, might aswell get some more traffic in there :)

Oh yes, I have another copy of the file.. But that's not the problem.

I want to undo what I've done so that whenever I open another image, the curves/levels changes that I made to picture X a few days ago, aren't applied automatically to picture Y tonight, if you get me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That shouldn't happen. If you make changes to picture X those changes only apply to picture X not picture Y or any other image.

• Advertisement

Well sadly it is happening!
    I also noticed it happening in RawShooter... Most bizarre.

Actually, it just hit me.. I think I know what happened.

I'll see if it's happening to any shots from outside that folder and report back!

Do you mean it only happens to RAW files?
    If you have them all open and all selected in Camera RAW then they are modified globally.
    Camera RAW saves a .xmp or somthing that you can delete to go back to the default settings.

Nah they were jpegs in PS.

I'll see what happens when I get home anyway.

Right.. Tried this again last night and got the following results.

If I open an image (jpeg) from any folder in PS, it looks different to what is shown in explorer (thumbnails, picture and fax viewer).

If i save an image under a different name (eg open image X.jpg and save it as X2.jpg), both images still look the same in explorer.

So it seems that PS is making some changes to how the image appears in PS, but not to the actual image.

Bizarre eh?

• Advertisement

weird indeed...

Can anyone help with this at all?
    It's driving me up the wall...

I'm going to do a reinstall tonight and try some more edits - paying full attention to anything that might spark it off.

Have a look at the file handling option in PS in the Preferences (Ctrl+k) there is an option here about saving image previews. Have you tried any other photo apps to eliminate PS from the equation? Maybe windows is at fault by not refreshing the thumbnails.

I don't think it's that but I'll have a look.

The reason I don't think so is that I opened an image in PS that I took months ago, before I even installed PS. The thumbnails are as they should be.

The insanity continues...

Uninstalled, reinstalled - No joy.

Did a system restore, reinstalled - No joy.

I'll try downloading CS3 at the weekend and see what happens.

Also, check out this link so you can see what I'm talking about.

The top left image is the Windows explorer version. The bottom right image is the PS version. As you can see, the PS is washed out and ****e looking:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/XmishimaX/Misc/comparison.jpg

Thanks to all who replied to this by the way!

Colour profiles maybe?

If so, how do I change them?

But you'd think that a reinstall and a restore would sort that out no?!

No they're set automatically when you install. Go to colour settings (ctrl+shift+k) and have a play about there. Google for more info as I wouldn't know enough about them to comment much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

someone said colour profiles when I take pics in from the camera it usually notes that the colour profile from the camera is different and asks if I want to use the colour profile from the camera I assume that there is an option to not show this dialogue box.

maybe you have selected the option to always use the photoshop settings instead of the setting from the picture that might explain why it changes.

A few weeks down the line and the same issue, but with Lightroom instead!
    I got rid of all Photoshop related stuff and installed LR to see what would happen.
    The RAWs look washed out, as was the case with the jpegs in Photoshop, but are fine in that Canon program that lets you view RAWs.. Can't remember the name..

Looks like Adobe just doesn't like my photos..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

In cs3 isnt there an option that allows you to process all your pictures the same way. Similar to actions. Could this be activated? Damned if I can remember where it is now. I know it does cross over to lightroom. Its in actions or multiple layers if I remember. I will try and have a look at this tonight.

Advertisement