Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I stop redirecting URL1 to URL2?

Options
  • 07-11-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I have a website, tempjobs.ie.

The domain temping.ie automatically redirects to tempjobs.ie.

Would I be better off creating a holding page at temping.ie (which then - maybe after a few seconds - redirects to tempjobs.ie) so Google picks up temping.ie and starting listing temping.ie in the search results for temping?

Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

No it's a bad idea, you shouldnt redirect after a few seconds, the redirection should be permanent (301 redirect).

bmw.de got penalised for this a while ago, basically they had an standard page full of keywords and text which then redirected to a lovely page full of images or flash and no keywords.

I think it would be better for only one of your domains to get indexed properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

definatelly 301 Moved Permanently redirect.
    Do not play with the search engines. They got a lot smarter then you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

OK, thanks for the replies.

I'm not actually talking about blackhat "trick the search engine" techniques though. I'm more concerned with getting "value" out of the temping.ie domain, considering a lot of people search for "temping". Doing a simple 301 redirect seems like a bit of a waste, as temping.ie won't be found if it doesn't exist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

By using 301 redirect you are telling the SE that your domain is part of the other website so there is no point in sticking around - just go there.

Having a refresh redirect is bad because a SE doesn't like wasting time looking at a blank page and if you stuff some keywords in there you are going to get a penalty for it.

Have similar content on the page as the original website will fail into duplicated content and none of your website will go very far as SE will pick one that they consider more important.
    You will end up with few pages indexed form one website and few form the other which defeats the SEO point.

Hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Setting up temping.ie as a domain alias of tempjobs.ie is probably better than 301'ing a non-indexed page.

Your hosting provider can do this for you, or you can do it yourself through their Control Panel.

While you're on the subject of being listed, it probably makes more sense at this stage to have relevant content on the site, and ensuring that content is indexed with a sitemap...

A quick jog over to www.google.com/sitemaps should have all your answers, you could also have a looksee for a possible canonical url issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

zabbo wrote: »
    Setting up temping.ie as a domain alias of tempjobs.ie is probably better than 301'ing a non-indexed page.

I would actually agree with this too.

But would 2 domains going to the same site not count as duplicate content ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

As the site is not indexed (assuming no backlinks?) it's probably safe.

Reading back, it seems this is exactly what the OP wants to do (dupe content using new shiny keyword url).

My advice, pick one url and stick with it :) (and create good content)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

301 to a landing page
    problem solved

Advertisement