Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get rid of snails in my aquarium please,

• 07-11-2007 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently put live plants into my aquarium and lo & behold I have gained some unwanted guests, snails. I have scooped them so many times from the tank but they keep re-appearing. I have also remove all the plants and cleaned them of eggs etc.

I have just introduced a course of tablets (third day now) called Octozin. These were recommended by the pet shop, but nothing seems to be happening. Also there is nothing on the box to suggest they will kill off the snails.

Should I be using something else?

Thanks in advance...

TJ911...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Try taking the plants out and leaving in a lettuce leaf for a day or so and the snails should go for it. Then, once they're all on there, take it out and through them away. Obviously, you can't be guaranteed that they will *all* go for the lettuce leaf but you could at least keep their numbers down that way.

Failing that, borrow a loach from someone :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Easy, If you have a tropical community aquarium just buy a pair of small clown loach, [SIZE=-1]Chromobotia macracanthus. need to keep them in pairs though, they can be quite erratic if kept alone.

They will sort out the snails in no time.
    [/SIZE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

i had the same problem. got a pair of loaches and the problem was sorted in one day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Thanks for the replies people,

I went back to the pet shop & they gave me a loach so hopefully he will do the job, although I might get another as per comments above. Would'nt want the fella lonely now..... Hopefully they will hoover up those pesky snails.... :D Will let you know how it goes.... Cheers...

TJ911...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Good luck Snail Busting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Jimkel wrote: »
    Good luck Snail Busting!

Cheers, I went back & bought another loach to keep the first fella company... There does appear to be a slight improvement in the reduction of snails. The two of them are "hoovering" like mad.....

Gonna try the lettuce method as well....

TJ911...

Advertisement