Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing Belt Change Cost - 96 Civic

Options
  • 07-11-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

I have a 96 Honda Civic 1.4 and need the timing belt changed, i'm gonna ring around a few garages and see how much they quote. Would anyone have a general idea about how much it should cost??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

200 to 250, depending on the garage (country vs Dublin). These are Honda dealer prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

The last time I paid for a timing belt on a civic was about 4-5 years ago and it cost me the best part of 300. and that was a small garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just looking at ebay a "spurious" timing belt kit for a Civic is about 40 sterling. A genuine kit from a Honda dealer would surely be well over 100 euros. In terms of labour probably 2-3 hours at a labour rate of anything between 60 and 100 euros per hour plus VAT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Beano wrote: »
    The last time I paid for a timing belt on a civic was about 4-5 years ago and it cost me the best part of 300. and that was a small garage.
    I got one done same time in a Honda dealer, on a similar car to the OP's. Paid 150 at the time.

Have subsequently had the Integra done.. 200. Two friends had Civic VTI belts done within the last 12 months. 200 and 250 respectively. All the above were done in Honda dealers.
    BrianD3 wrote:
    Just looking at ebay a "spurious" timing belt kit for a Civic is about 40 sterling. A genuine kit from a Honda dealer would surely be well over 100 euros. In terms of labour probably 2-3 hours at a labour rate of anything between 60 and 100 euros per hour plus VAT.
    No such thing as a timing belt kit for these cars. The belt is changed. The waterpump, oil pump, and tensioner are inspected and replaced if they are worn (usually not), and have no service interval as such. A spurious belt (Gates) is 25 euro in a motor factors. A Honda belt (made by Gates or Dunlop) is about 32 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭dmck2886

I paid 600 to get mine done on my golf, bastrds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

dmck2886 wrote: »
    I paid 600 to get mine done on my golf, bastrds!

Some cars just have very tight engine bays, which means the belts take forever to change. Also VW hourly labour rates are at the top end for non-prestige manufacturer's garages. Be glad you don't have a Passat. They have to take half the front of the car off to get at the belt!

Advertisement