Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exhaust Pop/Backfire

Options
  • 07-11-2007 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

If i drive my car in a sporty manner, ie rev it up to anywhere between 5k-7k rpm - shift gear - and get back onto the accelerator quickly enough .. it gives off a fairly noticeable backfiring noise.

Out of curiosity does anybody know what causes this and whether it is doin any damage or anything? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

C_Breeze wrote: »
    If i drive my car in a sporty manner, ie rev it up to anywhere between 5k-7k rpm - shift gear - and get back onto the accelerator quickly enough .. it gives off a fairly noticeable backfiring noise.

Out of curiosity does anybody know what causes this and whether it is doin any damage or anything? thanks

is it the 94 Mazda MX-3 1.8i V6!! where is the noise comming frm engine or the bak of the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Yeah it is.

Its coming from the the exhaust. - It sounds pretty sweet , but just want to make sure its not causing any harm or anything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's detonation of unburnt fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As HF3 says, petrol is getting into your exhaust and exploding. You should get it seen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's possible that your timing is slightly out for some reason. Petrol burning down the exhaust could cause further damage to exhaust components such as your catalytic convertor. As stated before, get it looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

crosswtownk. it doesnt have a catalytic converter so it cant damage whats not there - and also its got a full satinlees steel exhaust system , could this be the reason?

To be honest i only noticed the pop after i put the de-cat section on it. I dont trash it about, but it really only happens when youre serisouly putting the boot down.

found this on some other website:

Most often a backfire is the result of an air leak in the exhaust system. For a moment when you up shift and often when you let off the gas, there is a temorary "over rich" condition with too much gas in the cylinders. This blows into the exhaust and if there is oxygen (air leak) then it explodes in the hot exhaust pipe. Without the air leak, it is cooled enough not to explode by the time it reaches the atmosphere in a tight exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Don't think it's 'normal' - I had anti-lag on an Evo that used to throw fuel into the exhaust and then burn it to keep the Turbo spooling - Used to scare the sh1t out of people when it gave an almighty bang :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Some cars do indeed fart and pop as normal, my Cooper S does, all Cooper S' after 2004 had a remap to introduce a misfire on throttle off to make it pop and backfire.

Advertisement