Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you seen for yourself would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Wicknight wrote: »
    I probably decided I wasn't worshiping the Christian God before I decided he didn't exist (can't remember exactly when I decided either).

Now some theists may argue that I decided he didn't exist to make me feel better about deciding not to worship him. I suppose I can only assure them that this isn't the case. I can think of a ton of reasons why god doesn't exist, and i can think of a ton of separate reasons why I wouldn't worship him if he did.

So are there any Gods (or Goddesses) you think would be worth worshiping if they were to appear and invite you along to their party?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

DerKaiser wrote: »
    Thirdly, If I could show you there was no god, would you become Athiest?

If there was no 'god' then there would be neither atheist nor believer.

If you are talking about our Christian God and could prove He didn't exist, I would become an atheist. Proving the non existance of God is of course, impossible. Talking about it as in 'The God Delusion' or similar books has not 'proved' anything to me.

Not gullible?

In your eyes Wicknight,yes. And understandably so...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Splendour wrote: »
    If you are talking about our Christian God and could prove He didn't exist, I would become an atheist.
    What about all the other gods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

So are there any Gods (or Goddesses) you think would be worth worshiping if they were to appear and invite you along to their party?

Not really.

I find the whole idea of worshiping anything to be rather insulting concept, the result of minds consumed with self-doubt and self-loathing.

• Advertisement

In your eyes Wicknight,yes. And understandably so...

sorry come again :confused:

djpbarry wrote: »
    What about all the other gods?

I believe there are other 'gods'. If you could prove they didn't exist, I'd have no choice but to be a non believer!

I believe there are other 'gods'. If you could prove they didn't exist, I'd have no choice but to be a non believer!

How does one prove that something doesn't exist?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sangre wrote:
    You'd need to do something really fantastic to make me believe, like make the Statute of Liberty disappear.
    Well, religion caused the disappearance of the two World Trade Centers a few years back, but I don't recall seeing millions of New Yorkers queuing up to become militant islamists...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

robindch wrote: »
    Well, religion caused the disappearance of the two World Trade Centers a few years back, but I don't recall seeing millions of New Yorkers queuing up to become militant islamists...

Theres some real bitterness out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

grammatical worst post title ever!

If you saw for yourself would you believe?

Not seen.
    This thread is silly.

It seems that the consensus is, You all hate God, as described in the bible, would that be accurate? If he did reveal himself to you, you'd 'wanna have a go'? Would this be accurate? Or would it be more, 'I'm confused, i need to ask you a few things'? Basically, have you concluded he's bad, if he exists?

jtsuited wrote: »
    grammatical worst post title ever!

If you saw for yourself would you believe?

Not seen.

Get over it man.
    This thread is silly.

Thanks for that. Very intuitive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jtsuited wrote: »
    This thread is silly.
    This thread has thrown up some very interesting discussion.

Not including your valuable grammatical contribution.

JimiTime wrote: »
    It seems that the consensus is, You all hate God, as described in the bible, would that be accurate? If he did reveal himself to you, you'd 'wanna have a go'? Would this be accurate? Or would it be more, 'I'm confused, i need to ask you a few things'? Basically, have you concluded he's bad, if he exists?

A bit of both I suppose really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Basically if he does exist then he'd want to have a preeeety convincing story to explain all the atrocities he committed and ordered committed in the OT (assuming we're talking about that god...).

Theres some real bitterness out there.

its a good point though. The glory and power of Allah to destroy the WTC didn't exactly have people lining up to become Muslims. Well not in the west at least

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hate God? Why? He's never done anything to me...

Seriously, though, 'hate God' wouldn't be right, for me at least. I'm fond of priests and pastors, even.

If he revealed himself, I would certainly like some explanations, and it is possible that those explanations would cause me to say "ah right, I misunderstood that bit completely". On the other hand, if He is exactly as per His OT description, then He and I have little to say to each other past His "you're damned" and my "bugger".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I don't think "hate" is the right word. Being an atheist it is rather hard to hate an imaginary being. As a concept I find the Judeo/Christian "God" to be a particularly nasty invention. If he does actually turn out to exist I would find that rather depressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭TheThing!

Just out of curiosity. If for arguements sake, I as a Christian, showed you a sign like say, I made a blind man see, or made a paraplegic walk through Holy spirit, I.E. I said see, and he saw, or i said walk and he walked. Assuming that it was genuine. I.E. It definately wasn't a tick etc. Would you then be baptised, and follow Christ?

Why would your being a healer of some sort change my ideas on the existence of god?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Did anyone watch the episodes of Stargate with the Ori?

Basically these guys arrive, wave their staves, make bright lights appear and perform all sorts of miracles because of the unimaginable universal understanding of their masters. And most people go "Oh wow lets worship the Ori!"

Jackson was all like "They're powerful, that doesn't make them worthy of worship!!"

Plagiarising,
    Zillah

Zillah wrote: »
    Basically these guys arrive, wave their staves, make bright lights appear and perform all sorts of miracles because of the unimaginable universal understanding of their masters. And most people go "Oh wow lets worship the Ori!"

Jackson was all like "They're powerful, that doesn't make them worthy of worship!!"
    Ah yes, very good analogy :).

sorry come again :confused:

In your eyes I'm gullible...

How does one prove that something doesn't exist?

Given the context of the discussion,I presume you mean, 'how can one prove that God or 'gods' don't exist?'

My answer is 'the same way that one tries to prove God does exist.'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It seems that the consensus is, You all hate God, as described in the bible, would that be accurate?
    A consensus? Here? :)

Except maybe that we'd all have a few questions to ask before making up our minds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

DerKaiser wrote: »

Certainly, I would become an atheist. However, you'll have to do a lot better than you have so far. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

PDN wrote: »
    Certainly, I would become an atheist. However, you'll have to do a lot better than you have so far. ;)

Better, indeed, than anyone has done so far. Far easier to show that any God who might exist is not worth worshipping. Of course, since PDN's God has been good to PDN, it's presumably worth PDN's worshipping Him.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thank you all for your answers, Its certainly been an education for me anyway. Even had my secondary school English teacher correcting my Grammar....again:) Remained very civil, i'd swear you're going soft:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Thank you all for your answers, Its certainly been an education for me anyway. Even had my secondary school English teacher correcting my Grammar....again:) Remained very civil, i'd swear you're going soft:eek:

Nah, we're quite reasonable when treated with respect and not subjected to "fire & brimstone" threats and rhetoric. ;)

• Advertisement

Given the context of the discussion,I presume you mean, 'how can one prove that God or 'gods' don't exist?'

My answer is 'the same way that one tries to prove God does exist.'
    Not so. Proving something exists is quite a different task to proving something does not exist, in the same way that proving someone committed a crime is very different to proving someone did not commit a crime.

Advertisement