Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB chain trouble

Options
  • 07-11-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

I own a standard Saracen Mantra 1 and have just taken up mountain biking. Didn't want to spend more in case I didn't like it. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, my problem is this;
    On three separate occasions the chain is popped off the front sprocket and wedged itself between the frame and the edge of the sprocket tree. The last time I was going down hill and I got thrown from the bike as a result. :mad:
    Now one of my chain links is bent in schnidt and the bike is changing gear by itself.
    I just want to know is this common? I now have to replace the chain (link) but am wondering is there anything that can be done to stop it flying off at inopertune monents!!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

You can fit a DH chain guide if you are doing fast, bumpy descents, like this e-13 one: http://www.silverfish-uk.com/content/reviews_of_e-thirteen-performance-bike-components.php?articleshow=515

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

On rocky trails the chain sometimes gets thrown off - it's not unusual. You can reduce the chance of it by keeping a bit of tension in the chain - middle or large ring at the front and a larger sprocket at the back. Don't descend in the small chainring.

Also make sure your front derailleur is set up properly and not pushing the chain too far inwards.

You don't need to replace the bent link - just remove it. You can usually get away with a missing link or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Thanks very much for that. I'll go get the link taken out tonight. I was on the small chain ring on the final (crash) descent so I guess it's my fault! Not going too fast yet. Tried it, (high gears)wiped out, sore leg!! :rolleyes: Still, promoted to second favourite hobby after snowboarding though!
    Might look itno that chain guide too as if the chain does come off it is guaranteed to get wedged in the gap. I'll ask the guys if the gap is too big while I'm getting the chain done.

Advertisement