Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Texting from Ireland to america, and the otherway around?

• 07-11-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Just wondering what the story is with texting from Ireland to America and from America to Ireland?
    Now im nearly certain that to call or text someone here you drop the 0 and put +353 in front of the mobile number, is that right??
    The other way around im not too sure what to do with the prefix...can anyone help me on this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

you're right about the code, but the international prefix for calling Irl from the US is 0011353, then drop the 0.

Sometimes even this doesn't work, the Americans apparrently don't use SMS a lot, and some of the American networks can't really deal with texts, they should send fine from Ireland, but whether or not they'd be received over there is questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 baselines

Thanks for that...do you know what the story is with calling or texting an american number from here, like what code do i but in front of the number, i think its +001 but again im not too sure?

Yep, calling an american number is 001 + Area code + number. I reckon it would be the same for texting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Merrick wrote: »
    you're right about the code, but the international prefix for calling Irl from the US is 0011353, then drop the 0.
    Just using +353 should work everywhere as the network is supposed to replace the + with whatever the local international access code is, 0011 according to the number above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eqwtegmtykultyk

I think you can text anywhere in the world for free from a o2 online text account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I've used O2 webtext a lot from America to Ireland - saved me a packet. Either use AFT and/or a laptop - even the sh*tiest motel will have free wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

Merrick wrote: »

Sometimes even this doesn't work, the Americans apparrently don't use SMS a lot, and some of the American networks can't really deal with texts, they should send fine from Ireland, but whether or not they'd be received over there is questionable.
    It used to be 001 353 plus prefix (minus any initial zeroes) plus number. So if you were calling Dublin number (01) 3456789 you'd use 00135313456789 from America. Have they added in an extra "1" now so it's now 0011?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It used to be 001 353 plus prefix (minus any initial zeroes) plus number. So if you were calling Dublin number (01) 3456789 you'd use 00135313456789 from America. Have they added in an extra "1" now so it's now 0011?
    Thats why you should just use + as you then don't need to worry about what the local code is for selecting international dialing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭lynchie

The international prefix for dialling an international number from the US is 011 not 0011, so its 011 + country code + local number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

baselines wrote: »
    Thanks for that...do you know what the story is with calling or texting an american number from here, like what code do i but in front of the number, i think its +001 but again im not too sure?

To dial a US number or send text etc, just use +1 for USA and then the number, so if for example the number is 5551234, send to +15551234

Also, if you are sending texts to T-Mobile customers, you can send from here online

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how it was, and I don't know if that would still work, but I've always known it 0011353. You can still put in a plus, that just replaces the 0's anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 baselines

Its wrecking my head at this stage, sending messages to america is grand no bother the only problem is that for some reason i dont seem to be able to receive messages from america-im with O2, i know of a least 6 messages that have been sent to me and i havnt got one of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

OK
    Say you are 0851234567
    Get them to send to 011353851234567
    See if that works

Just get them to use +353xxxx.

If you save all the numbers in your own phone using +<country_code><phone_number_minus_leading_zero> then they will work everywhere you happen to take your phone and you never need care if that country uses 0011/ 00 / 1234 or any other variation for selecting international dialing.

baselines wrote: »
    Its wrecking my head at this stage, sending messages to america is grand no bother the only problem is that for some reason i dont seem to be able to receive messages from america-im with O2, i know of a least 6 messages that have been sent to me and i havnt got one of them?

If it's only receiving SMS that's the problem at this stage, get whoever's texting you to check their network services. I've been told that they hardly use texts at all over there, and that if you're having that kind of trouble, it's likely to be an issue with their networks. If you can receive them from Irl, or even the UK or other countries, then it's almost definately not your phone that's doing it.

Advertisement