Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

DubNorth wrote: »
    we already got our epiletes with our number and district letter from the sergeant on our unit but we cant wear them until we pass out...
    KIERAN61 wrote: »
    The Nog may correct me on this one.But legally you are still a civillian until you are attested and so have not earned the right to wear your epulets until then.

Correct and right horse

Until you are attested you are considered a student or regular civilian. Same as student fulltime members.

District numbers are only issued to those who are attested and therefore have powers under Irish legislation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gerry05

Abed wrote: »
    You can reapply after 6 months. it used to be 12 but they changed that recently in response to feedback from applicants. I passed on the first time but heard from many that they were successful on the 2nd time. You have the advantage of knowing what is it like and I would certainly reapply if I was you.

Best of luck
    6 months:) even better.definitley going for it again,learn from were i went wrong and hopefully get it next time

nice one Abed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

gerry05 wrote: »
    Well got the letter today telling me I was,nt succesful on this occasion so its back to the drawing board!!I rang up for some feedback to see were I went wrong:( definitley going to reapply.

How long before you can reapply is it 12 months?
    Also were there many of you who failed it the first time and got the second or third time??
    Go for it again Gerry if its something you really want to do;)
    There is plenty of info on the thread to help you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

6 months:) even better.definitley going for it again,learn from were i went wrong and hopefully get it next time

nice one Abed

By the way its six months from the date you applied (not the date you recieved the letter) so its even better;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Ok so I've started filling out the form on public jobs for the garda reserve...:p:eek:
    I've saved it for now because still not 100% sure I want to apply right now?!
    But I'm thinking it would be better to apply as soon as possible in case the campaign closes....any chance that this could this happen??Do they have a certain amount of reserves that they want to recruit and once they reach that they will stop the campaign??Anyone have thoughts on it??
    If I know the campaign is staying open for a while, I might leave it for a few months before applying...lots of stuff going on in work at the moment, I'd rather be able to give the process my full attention:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

spudz21 wrote: »
    Ok so I've started filling out the form on public jobs for the garda reserve...:p:eek:
    I've saved it for now because still not 100% sure I want to apply right now?!
    But I'm thinking it would be better to apply as soon as possible in case the campaign closes....any chance that this could this happen??Do they have a certain amount of reserves that they want to recruit and once they reach that they will stop the campaign??Anyone have thoughts on it??
    If I know the campaign is staying open for a while, I might leave it for a few months before applying...lots of stuff going on in work at the moment, I'd rather be able to give the process my full attention:p

Spudz21, I would advise to start your application now, It will take a few months to process anyway so it will not interfere with whats going on in work. The campaign (as you call it) has no end in sight on the recruitment end quiet the contrary they will be taking more of us Reserves as the force's hand is forced with cutbacks on the regulars, thats not to say we will be doing more we still need to be with a fulltime Garda while doing our duties:cool:

Hacknabush wrote: »
    Spudz21, I would advise to start your application now, It will take a few months to process anyway so it will not interfere with whats going on in work. The campaign (as you call it) has no end in sight on the recruitment end quiet the contrary they will be taking more of us Reserves as the force's hand is forced with cutbacks on the regulars, thats not to say we will be doing more we still need to be with a fulltime Garda while doing our duties:cool:

Thanks for the advice:D
    I might leave it a few more days to make up my mind?!
    I suppose it does make sense that there will be increased/continuous reserve recruitment in these times!
    Interesting.....just went back in my application on public jobs there and it says due date 9/20/2010... don't know if I would trust that though:p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Got notice in the post of interview and written exam scheduled for 2 weeks time, got example of written task with letter, doesnt seem too bad. Was talking to a few full time friend members of AGS last night and they said the reserves attached to their units / stations were working out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Got notice in the post of interview and written exam scheduled for 2 weeks time, got example of written task with letter, doesnt seem too bad. Was talking to a few full time friend members of AGS last night and they said the reserves attached to their units / stations were working out well.

yeah the written ain't all that bad to be honest. Just keep track of your time in there & don't waste any minute as it really does fly by in there :eek: . When I done mine their was no clock on the wall & I really didn't wanna look at my watch. I took my time at the beginning and toward the end then, well you could say my writting wasn't the same as the outset :). I met another local sergeant recently who seriously put to rest any lingering doubts I had, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Hi I passed my interview for the full time Guards awhile back and am thinking of applying for the Reserves to tide me over during the current moratorium on recruitment. Would already passing an interview for the Guards make any difference in my recruitment for the reserves? Also I noticed the application form on publicjobs.ie for the reserves inst working in my two browsers, anyone else notice this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

mac_attack wrote: »
    Hi I passed my interview for the full time Guards awhile back and am thinking of applying for the Reserves to tide me over during the current moratorium on recruitment. Would already passing an interview for the Guards make any difference in my recruitment for the reserves? Also I noticed the application form on publicjobs.ie for the reserves inst working in my two browsers, anyone else notice this problem?

Hey Mac, not a 100% but you will have to do all the stages like every1 else. Not a bad idea tho, saying that the reserve process is quite a long one anyway and with so many applying recently it's going to be even longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

mac_attack wrote: »

hi mac, iam guessing like me you use a mac, the only broweser i could get to work with public jobs is the Opera Browser, you can download it here www.opera.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LiquidForSolid9

I got a a C1 in foundation maths does dat mean i def cant get in garda reserve? any ideas???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Hey thanks, I tried again a bit later and it worked in Mozilla, but thanks for the advice.

By the way its six months from the date you applied (not the date you recieved the letter) so its even better;).
    Cant wait to reapply and get the ball rolling,Got the feedback today I failed on the report writing but passed the interview which is good something positive:)

Does anybody know any good report writing courses?pm me
    I,ve seen a few on the net but unsure about which one to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

Cant wait to reapply and get the ball rolling,Got the feedback today I failed on the report writing but passed the interview which is good something positive:)

Best of luck in re applying:D

To be honest I wouldn't do any of the courses online for the reserve report writing, they are totally different.
    The report writing for the full time is some what harder such as you don't have pictures to look at.

My advice is to practice yourself at home, ensure spelling is 100% correct, you use facts and don't write down unwanted trivia.

To be honest I wouldn't do any of the courses online for the reserve report writing, they are totally different.
    The report writing for the full time is some what harder such as you don't have pictures to look at.

My advice is to practice yourself at home, ensure spelling is 100% correct, you use facts and don't write down unwanted trivia.

Nice one Murphy for the advice,was,nt too sure if there was a report writing course that the reserves use, seen one for the fulltime.

Practice makes perfect;)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I got a a C1 in foundation maths does dat mean i def cant get in garda reserve? any ideas???

From Garda.ie website

Candidates must have obtained in the Leaving Certificate Examination:
    A grade not lower than B3 at Foundation Level or D3 at another level in Mathematics

Hi Gerry05,

I agree with Murphy (Cork). I don't think you need a course at all! it is just a matter of being alert for the half hour duration and applying what you have practiced. As for practice, I suggest that you ask few people to create scenarios similar to the one in the familiarisation pack and spend a few hours practising. I couldn't finish all the report writing on time by the way and surprisingly passed!! . Once you show that you included relevant facts, disregarded trivial ones, and mentioned non factual information which could be useful, and that your spelling is good you'll certainly make it. I'm not a native speaker of English myself and yet passed so it cant be that difficult to pass wink.gif.

Passing the interview is usually the catch from what I hear from people, so you are grand.

It would be more difficult to say to the Superintendent that you did not pass the interview six months earlier, than saying I was not very lucky with the report writing as he would want to know what has changed in your profile in the last six months to make you think you are a suitable candidate noweek.gif

The GR is obviously what you want to do, so GO FOR IT BUDDY

• Advertisement

...was,nt too sure if there was a report writing course that the reserves use, seen one for the fulltime.

Practice makes perfect;)

hey Gerry05 I'm happy to hear your motivation to re-apply is there, keep it up mate :). I was unsuccessful last year for the full-time but I done this home-study course with a company in Cork (don't worry Mod's I don't break the rules in here ;)) and it covers the report-writting for the full-time and the reserves. It gives you a dvd like you'd watch for the full-time and also has a few pages with the pictures etc that's for the reserve report-writing. It's in-depth and it's explanations and examples are great (no, I don't work for them :)). I just found it good to review before my reserve application this time round. PM me if you like though I did see their name in this thread a few times :eek:.

Best of luck next time round Gerry05 and you're certainly right that practice does make perfect.

It depends really. some do the medical before meeting the Superintendent, others don't! I did both interviews with the sergeant and Superintendent a while ago and still no sign of medical. I know for many others it happend fairly quickly after the second interview and for some before you even do the second interview. There is very little to know about in this process.

Do what I do e.g. relax and wait for phone calls , letters ...etc

Hey Abed, I'm the same as yourself now. I met two local Sergeants and the Superintendent and have my background checks complete, all in the space of a month - I'm simply delira :D ! I'm just waiting on a call for my medical now aswell so I'll be out & about every chance I get now, happy days :).

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Hey Abed, I'm the same as yourself now. I met two local Sergeants and the Superintendent and have my background checks complete, all in the space of a month - I'm simply delira :D ! I'm just waiting on a call for my medical now aswell so I'll be out & about every chance I get now, happy days :).

Great news! I really hope they'll contact us soon enough for the medical. I had to go to Northern Ireland to fix my teeth just for it. I also bought dumbbells and sit ups machine and run 4 miles every bloody evening. My wife thinks I'm going nuts:o

By the way were you told that Background checks are complete? no one told me:confused:

hope things will be quick now and that we go to Templemore soon:)

Great news! I really hope they'll contact us soon enough for the medical. I had to go to Northern Ireland to fix my teeth just for it. I also bought dumbbells and sit ups machine and run 4 miles every bloody evening. My wife thinks I'm going nuts:o

By the way were you told that Background checks are complete? no one told me:confused:

hope things will be quick now and that we go to Templemore soon:)

wow you're doing just about everything you can to prepare for the medical, good doing Abed. I went to my dentist there lastweek & was told that nothing needed to be done for now, but I won't be complacent and will still be back down again when I hear about a medical date incase anything has changed!

Yeah the Sergeant told me that my checks were complete the day I went in while they filled in my personal profile form about my character etc which they passed onto the Superintendent.

You know I don't even know if more Reserve intakes were even planned for this year but I'm quite content at the moment anyways if I'm to be completely honest :cool:

Just submitted my online form there for the reserves:D:eek::D
    When in the process do they ususally contact your employer etc for reference?
    I know I haven't given their contact details or anything yet but just wondering when I'll need to inform the boss that I've applied:)

spudz21 wrote: »
    Just submitted my online form there for the reserves:D:eek::D
    When in the process do they ususally contact your employer etc for reference?
    I know I haven't given their contact details or anything yet but just wondering when I'll need to inform the boss that I've applied:)

When you pass the interview stage. You'll have to fill out a form ( When I done it, it was called a GR2 form but I think it has changed name now), on that you must give two references and they will be contacted some time after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

I met the Sarg three weeks ago, and local Inspector today... insted of the Superintendent, All my background checks complete. Questions asked,
    1.Why do you wont to join the Reserve Gards?
    2.Do you work any shifts in your job?
    3.About my back ground check etc.
    4. This all took 10min flat.....

Nice chap, I dressed with a open shirt - with slacks, clean shoes!!!!

Happy days... Med checks here I come....

Thanks to all, who have posted great questions and answers..

Keep up the good work yeah allll...

I'll report with next stage soon:eek:

I met the Sarg three weeks ago, and local Inspector today... insted of the Superintendent, All my background checks complete. Questions asked,
    1.Why do you wont to join the Reserve Gards?
    2.Do you work any shifts in your job?
    3.About my back ground check etc.
    4. This all took 10min flat.....

Nice chap, I dressed with a open shirt - with slacks, clean shoes!!!!

Happy days... Med checks here I come....

Thanks to all, who have posted great questions and answers..

Keep up the good work yeah allll...

I'll report with next stage soon:eek:

good going McJakester. It seems their are close to a dozen of us here in this thread now have passed interview and are waiting on medicals :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Thumper73

Hey all,

I had been thinking bout joining GR for a while and finally did the app awhile ago but am still waiting to hear something back. I came across this thread and I have to say, fantastic :D thanks so much to all for all the advice and comments, if anything, it has just served to affirm I made the right decision by applying. I always wanted to join full time but for personal reasons it's unfortunately not possible and GR will allow me to follow a dream and also look after my other commitments. I'm as nervous as hell purely because I want to do this so much, but if it's meant to be, then I'll be accepted.

For all ye that are F/t or GR, well done and keep up the fantastic work, for everyone else waiting like me, the very best of luck :)

• Advertisement

When you pass the interview stage. You'll have to fill out a form ( When I done it, it was called a GR2 form but I think it has changed name now), on that you must give two references and they will be contacted some time after that

Thanks for that:D
    Hoping it wont be too long waiting for the interview?!:p

Advertisement