Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

Quick question how long is the wait to get the results back after the interview. Sat the interview last week and i went blank on some of my answers> this happen to anyone else and what was the outcome? Great information in this thread. Keep up the good work all.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

lavman wrote: »
    Quick question how long is the wait to get the results back after the interview. Sat the interview last week and i went blank on some of my answers> this happen to anyone else and what was the outcome? Great information in this thread. Keep up the good work all.

Hi Lavman,

It is normally within one week. They are fairly quick to inform people of the result. As for thinking interview did not go well; I'd say most of us had doubts about our performance at the interview. In my case I thought I gave a bad impression by being Mr. Smart. however I passed it allright. I don't think they are expecting wizards:D it is only human to make few errors;)

I'd say you 'll be grand. Let us know when you get the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭DavidH82

Hi guys, I have the interview in Ennis on the 19th of May. Anyone else here heading down that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Hello Ladies and Gents, I have interview and report assessment on wednesday. Funnily enough, my only concern is how I should dress :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

Liamario wrote: »
    Hello Ladies and Gents, I have interview and report assessment on wednesday. Funnily enough, my only concern is how I should dress :)

hey Liamario, you need to dress formal, ie suite, that's how others on here have said they have dressed, and that my plan too. good luck Wednesday!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

Casual is fine enough trousers shirt etc will be fine no runner though :D

that's what i wore and had no problems as all you will be doing is sitting in a room like school again you need to feel comfortable :cool:

Cheers guys, so basically I'll keep my top half like in a black suit and my bottom half in a pair of cream trousers and shoes. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

Maybe its just me but I think for any interview situation a suit is mandatory / expected. I've sat on interview boards and certainly its been something that would have been commented on about applicants, ie how formally / informally they have dressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Spartan09 wrote: »
    Maybe its just me but I think for any interview situation a suit is mandatory / expected. I've sat on interview boards and certainly its been something that would have been commented on about applicants, ie how formally / informally they have dressed.

when invited to attend the college, smart casual is actually stated on the e-mail, I'd use this as a guide for the whole process, interview/exam, meeting the sarge/super etc.

you just need to look respectable.

I hate suits, so I will indeed take this as fact and take my chances with my rugged good looks and man curves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

man curves

I went with my man curves too (beer belly and moobs:D)

blending in perfectly :pac:

How dare you! I don't have moobs, just excess skin!!

I would advise to dress formally at the initial interview (suit:mad:):D. Smart casual would be a good idea at the subsequent interviews. I wore a suit at the initial and then wore formal grey trousers with a V neck grey jumper and a black shirt collar:cool:.

I'm going for shirt, trousers and tie and they'll have to live with it

Well, I guess they would:)

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 westwoodgym

I think there is a test alright, and like 3 months training afterwords.but not sure exactly about the tests ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Let us know how you got on today will you?

Interview went OK..... I mean I haven't had an interview in months so to be honest if I fail that, I won't be surprised. The written assessment wasn't particualrly difficult to be honest- almost to the level of being pointless. A couple of guys wearing suits, some looking like they just got out of bed. I know I want to be a Garda, but to be honest I didn't really prepare for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

I had mine today also, 7 lads and 3 girls so full house of applicants. Agree with previous poster re dress sense, most dressed smartly but 1 or 2 obviously havent been to too many interviews, jeans and t-shirt for some, not going to go down well. Agree with previous poster also re written test, wasnt very taxing, although I think some found it a little more difficult.

Interview I think was ok, as far as you can know. Main thing is to have your answers well prepared for the 3 areas that they indicate to you in the letter beforehand, working as part of a team, solving a problem and community involvement. They expect detailed specific examples of each of the above. Didn't focus too much on my educational qualifications. Were interested in reasons for joining the reserve and also what difficulties you might expect if you were on the beat as a member of the reserve and how you might cope / handle that. Will find out in a week or so either way how it went.

• Advertisement

:o I suppose it would have helped if I read the letter a bit better (or at all). I suppose I was going in with the crazy logic that I want it and that should be enough. You live and learn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

:o I suppose it would have helped if I read the letter a bit better (or at all). I suppose I was going in with the crazy logic that I want it and that should be enough. You live and learn

What was it Keano said "Fail to prepare,prepare to fail" I think if you go in with a devil me care attitude you will be found out. Remember the interview is where you sell yourself and the interviewers will pick you up on the the smallest subtly. Despite the voluntary aspect of the Reserve you are required and expected to adopt a professional attitude and rightly so.That said nobody expects you to be a boring old twat either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

best of luck too anyone graudting let us know how it goes lik:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Well done to the new batch of reserves. Enjoy the day and be proud of the role you are about to undertake.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrstpatsfc

i got accepted in today, only took eight days since interview.
    delighted:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

mrstpatsfc wrote: »
    i got accepted in today, only took eight days since interview.
    delighted:D

Congrats on passing the first step. Just to let you know, you are not accepted until you get a letter saying when you are starting training.

Still have a couple of steps to go. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mrstpatsfc

thanks murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd pop in for the first time in months :P

I was one of the 97 to pass out yesterday & I enjoyed every minute of it, it was a fantastic day & it was a great affirmation for all of the reserves :)

Just want to wish everyone the best of luck who are applying at the moment, if you don't get it the first time just keep tipping away & go back & do it again. Your tenacity & enthusiasm will benefit you greatly.

To all the Reserves who are waiting to head to Templemore you'll have the best time down there & you'll make such great friends. Make the most out of it :)

Anyway thats just my two cents :p
    Just thought I'd let you's know how yesterday went & give a few words of encouragement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 marymulr

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your posts on yesterday's Graduation. It was a great day and fantastic to catch up again with everyone from the class and also to meet other reserves who went through training in 2008/2009.

As Jeanxx says it's well worth the wait so don't be disheartened by the application process - its just the way it is and you'll get there. Best of luck to all reserves currently in training and enjoy the experience working in your stations.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

marymulr wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for your posts on yesterday's Graduation. It was a great day and fantastic to catch up again with everyone from the class and also to meet other reserves who went through training in 2008/2009.

As Jeanxx says it's well worth the wait so don't be disheartened by the application process - its just the way it is and you'll get there. Best of luck to all reserves currently in training and enjoy the experience working in your stations.:)

Graduation was the culmination of all the training. On phase four you have to do at minimum 40hrs, I did over 160hrs and think the experience will stand to me in the future. I am looking forward to being an attested member of An Garda Siochana. Congratulations to everyone who graduated yesterday but a special congrats to the member with the broken foot. Hacknabush

Advertisement