Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Thanks for the feedback, by the way, the fact that this is "the way it is" does not mean it is right, Im not bitching but in all the posts i have read i cant see anyone with a sinilar viewpoint.... why not??? this type of administrative delay would not be accepted in any other situation so why is it so readily accepted here??

I never said it was right, it's far from it, but that's how it is. There's plenty about the job that isn't fair, this is the least of it and if you're not able to put up with such frustration then maybe you should reconsider joining.

As for accepting it, what else are you going to do about it? Complaining about it will not speed it up.
    and just to finish off.. i run a large business that has employed a lot of people so im not just dreaming up the idea that a little bit of consideration goes a long way.

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that you're very unlikely to get that in the GS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I think you should probably "get over" your willingness to accept being treated like you owe the Garda something for applying to join... surely it should be the other way around???. You should check out the timeframe for application to other "special police reserves" they vary from 1 month up to about 3 at a maximum, and on top of this the applicants are certainly well informed and treated very well

I'm a full-time member, I've been through the process already so I know what it's all about. I'm not saying you owe the GS anything, but the opposite is definitely not the case. Do not expect the force to show you some special consideration because you're a volunteer, as I've already said they often don't show consideration to long-serving members.
    some other forces also have a "candidate charter" http://www.joinpsni.co.uk/Cand%20chart.aspx outlining what applicants can expect, so i think my point about the proces taking potentially years is valid.

I never said your points weren't valid, I said there's little you can do about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

cushtac wrote: »
    I'm a full-time member, I've been through the process already so I know what it's all about. I'm not saying you owe the GS anything, but the opposite is definitely not the case. Do not expect the force to show you some special consideration because you're a volunteer, as I've already said they often don't show consideration to long-serving members.

I never said your points weren't valid, I said there's little you can do about them.

i agree cushtac, id imagine the you have to except this kinda thing, after all as a reserve you are not going to be hailed as some kinda hero by the full time members. you are at the bottom of the food chain, and like all orginisations that have a semi militry approche to doing business, you have to prove your worth and gain respect. becoming a garda or a reserve isnt a right and as things stand, we want to join more then they want us

having said that, the process is a hole load of crap, but its what i want so i have excepted it for what it is. now i must get back to waiting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

Just saw I got an email yesterday there asking me to book for an interview:eek:wasn't expecting it this soon?!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

spudz21 wrote: »
    Just saw I got an email yesterday there asking me to book for an interview:eek:wasn't expecting it this soon?!:D:D

Yeah it can be very quick altogether, about a week for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

sdonn wrote: »
    Yeah it can be very quick altogether, about a week for me.

A week:eek:
    Its 3 weeks for me and I thought that was quick:rolleyes:
    With regards to emailing back the form, can you just bring along your passport photo and leaving cert with you on the day of the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 THE PIPER

Nice one Piper, I think we did the interview around then same month...

Still waiting for mine,

Good look.:)
    Thanks mate,yeah we were interviewed about the same time.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zoulikha

Hi there,

was i talking to you that day,ya i also sucessful.heard on tuesday...filled out the br form and sent it off today...have you done it yet

richie:)

Hy Richie,
    remember you :) Nice one that you were successful as well :) Did not filled the form yet. Had some assignments for uni to be done first. Will do it next week. :) I am sooo excited and really hoping everything will be ok and we will get the jobs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Richiedelight

Zoulikha wrote: »
    Hy Richie,
    remember you :) Nice one that you were successful as well :) Did not filled the form yet. Had some assignments for uni to be done first. Will do it next week. :) I am sooo excited and really hoping everything will be ok and we will get the jobs :)

hi there

where you the girl with the black hair.......

it going to be a long wait....hope checks and medical are fine and it moves fast....

talk soon

keep in touch

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Zoulikha

hi there

where you the girl with the black hair.......

it going to be a long wait....hope checks and medical are fine and it moves fast....

talk soon

keep in touch

The blond one I'm afraid :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

spudz21 wrote: »
    A week:eek:
    Its 3 weeks for me and I thought that was quick:rolleyes:
    With regards to emailing back the form, can you just bring along your passport photo and leaving cert with you on the day of the interview?

I brought the cert on the day, but because I'm in college around the corner I droped photos into reception a few days after I applied. Give them an email to be sure, they're always very quick to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi Piper,

Iwas just wondering when did you originally apply for the reserves.

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Piper,

Iwas just wondering when did you originally apply for the reserves.
    Applied the end of febuary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thats quick. I applied last February aswell and sat the initial interview and written test then. I suppose its the background checks that need to be cleared first before they contact you.

Thats quick. I applied last February aswell and sat the initial interview and written test then. I suppose its the background checks that need to be cleared first before they contact you.
    Ya checks need to be done and then your file is sent to the commissioner to get his approval,thats the way it was explained to me.
    I have a small family so checks would have been quick.
    Hopefully you wont have to wait too long;)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

done the asp training last sunday and it was really tough....felt it was
    more like training for the french foreign legion as a could barely move with aches and pains yesterday..as an unpaid volunteer i hope that i will never have to put my new asp training skills into action...:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

trail man wrote: »
    done the asp training last sunday and it was really tough....felt it was
    more like training for the french foreign legion as a could barely move with aches and pains yesterday..as an unpaid volunteer i hope that i will never have to put my new asp training skills into action...:eek:.

yep it would be nice to know how they contacted you for the asp training, and what phase you are at now thanks. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Hi Billyhead, I started around Jan 09 same as The Piper, I'm still awating Meds. I'd say it's not far away....I hope! Time to get rid of beer belly:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hi Billyhead, I started around Jan 09 same as The Piper, I'm still awating Meds. I'd say it's not far away....I hope! Time to get rid of beer belly:confused:

Have you had your meetings with your local Superintendent & Sergeant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Have you had your meetings with your local Superintendent & Sergeant?
    I met the Sarg five weeks ago, and local Inspector three weeks ago... insted of the Superintendent, All my background checks complete, i.e. The main station back ground checks and the most important one is HQ Checks, Which get done out side HQ Dublin by another company. Who have the contract to do so:eek:. Don't go on what your local station tell you!!!:rolleyes: Its all down to the last check which takes some time.

How far are you :o)

• Advertisement

I met the Sarg five weeks ago, and local Inspector three weeks ago... insted of the Superintendent, All my background checks complete, i.e. The main station back ground checks and the most important one is HQ Checks, Which get done out side HQ Dublin by another company. Who have the contract to do so:eek:. Don't go on what your local station tell you!!!:rolleyes: Its all down to the last check which takes some time.

How far are you :o)

"up the slitter" - I'm almost inclined to agree with you ;)

I am in the exact same situation as yourself, waiting on checks from HQ & a call for the medical. I am certain I can say goodbye to the June intake and instead look far far to the future for some reason, shame but that is what I've resorted to.
    Keep the chin up though, we'll get there eventually :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jennifer187

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    yep it would be nice to know how they contacted you for the asp training, and what phase you are at now thanks. ;)

The College contacted me by phone to invite me to the ASP training course as I had graduated and been attested on May 14th and you're only allowed to do station duty once u graduate if you've not got the ASP yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 drivenmad

Hey

Anybody going down to templemore on thursday the 18th for training require a lift from the south dublin area?As i know training starts early on the friday,and trains don't arrive till after 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

The College contacted me by phone to invite me to the ASP training course as I had graduated and been attested on May 14th and you're only allowed to do station duty once u graduate if you've not got the ASP yet.

thanks for that jennifer i suppose we will just have to wait so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 taz09

hi im just new to this but i was wondering when the garda reserve are recruiting again?

I have just applied to the Garda reserve. will i have to wait til September for the training if i get excepted? Although i havent even done the interview yet. any advice??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

taz09 wrote: »
    I have just applied to the Garda reserve. will i have to wait til September for the training if i get excepted? Although i havent even done the interview yet. any advice??

i m not sure on that one to be honest but i was waiting five months from the day i applied till i started it could be different for you could be waiting longer or shorter it s all just a waiting game being honest:D

what is the process like? anything you could tell me i would appreciate it.:)

taz09 wrote: »
    hi im just new to this but i was wondering when the garda reserve are recruiting again?

hey, PAS-The Public Appointments Service & An Garda Siochana are constantly recruiting for Reserve Gardai. Just click on www.publicjobs.ie and register on the Garda Reserves link there & you will be contacted when interviews will be held in the locations you chose to do your interview (you will get two choices of locations).

• Advertisement

Thanx Kerry4sam. do u know if everyone in the country get called at once or do the do it by county and you wait ur turn?

Advertisement