Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

taz09 wrote: »
    Thanx Kerry4sam. do u know if everyone in the country get called at once or do the do it by county and you wait ur turn?

No bother. No, not everyone who applies in the country will be called at once. They hold stage1 (interview & report writting) at various intervals throughout. They will hold them for Kerry & Cork region at the end of this month & may hold them on the same dates in a few more locations aswell but certainly not everyone at once. They would have to space them out for various reasons. Have you registered to apply taz09?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 maguff

Applied in dec 08' still waiting to hear about a date for my medical.
    It seems to be different times for everybody.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 maguff

It could take up to a year or more for everything to fall into place.
    All i can say is stick with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

what is the process like? anything you could tell me i would appreciate it.:)

The process is all Grand you have your report writing and your interview all straight forward if you are succesfull in that you have to go met your local inspector or super for a chat this is just a casual chat but i d still dress some way formal. . Then if you pass that you will be called for a med in HQ and if you pass that you will begin training phase 1 is just an intro. phase 2 is legal lectures phase 3 is self defence and so on and few exams and phase 4 is opertional policing (eg out on the beat) and finally phase 5 is gradution hope this helps:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 taz09

ya i have signed up on publicjobs.ie when i was living in the midlands but i have changed my address to a Dublin and waiting to be called. i reapplied for the garda reserve with my Dublin adress but got confuesed when i kept getting emails about the miidland recruiting because they seem to be doing some of the interviews here in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 taz09

yes that hs been great info, thanx. So i just have to sit tight and wait to be called. fingers cross it will be soon. Any suggestions to prepare for interview and and written report?:confused:

yes that hs been great info, thanx. So i just have to sit tight and wait to be called. fingers cross it will be soon. Any suggestions to prepare for interview and and written report?:confused:

well theres not a whole pile you can do to prepare for them just read the booklet you where sent out the interview is basically all about you and what assets you can bring to the job and things like that it s basically boosting about yourself:pac: as for the report writing theres no preparing for it s simple :D

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭glhoran121

finally got a word back and have a meeting with the super on friday morning does anyone have any pointers for the meeting or an idea of the topics ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ZukoMurphy

Anyone able to help about how to apply or the Garda Reserve??.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

I've noticed a few people asking about why they haven't been contacted with a specific appointment day/time for the upcoming interviews at the Malton in Killarney. I myself had filled out an application some time ago and sent it back in. I then received the very same application form again along with details of upcoming interviews all over the country - and so I sent the completed application back filled out the same way as before... I then heard nothing back about it. Because I work full-time and needed to know for which of the three days my interview was scheduled (a reasonable request by most accounts), I simply rang the number supplied in the email with the application and was told by someone that 'they had me down for' the Thursday.

Garda Reserve Unit,
    Public Appointments Service
    Tel: 01-8587651 or (7496) or (7729)

I was then allowed to select a time which best suited me (12:15) and that was that. So for anyone waiting to be contacted: just call them instead and ask about it - they seem only too willing to help out.

Best of luck to everyone going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

i filled out a form which i download from public jobs.ie
    what is the procedure of to join garda
    what is the next step?

had the meeting with the super on friday went class he new more about me than i did and new about the people i work for it was a real friendly chat he took no notes just told me he will have no problem reccomending my application i believe the next stage is the medical does anyone know how long i could be waiting or how long did any readers wait ?????

did u go for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

glhoran121 wrote: »
    anyone know how long i could be waiting or how long did any readers wait ?????

could take anywhere up to 18 months, mine did.

ya have all done !!!!!
    well now thanks for the 18 month dig

i was talking about the full time just in case you where left wondering:pac: i think it would be an absoulte disgrace to reduce the full time members its more we need not less:D

mac51 wrote: »
    hi all just after sending my application form away...just woundern if any one has any further info regarding the time frame etc..

after posted application,i got my interview date for 14th july........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Hi all,
    Does anyone know how strict they are on leaving cert results? I didnt get maths and didnt do a second language. Am i wasting my time applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Hi all,
    Does anyone know how strict they are on leaving cert results? I didnt get maths and didnt do a second language. Am i wasting my time applying?

drive on with the application Ger, there's an exemption that you can apply for along the way, you don't need a Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

lehanemore wrote: »
    drive on with the application Ger, there's an exemption that you can apply for along the way, you don't need a Leaving Cert.

What I gathered from it is, that exemption was brought in for the Reserves as the age range joining varies greatly, many people in there 50's and 60's didn't get the chance to complete the leaving cert.
    The exemption is only used in those cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Hi all, its been a while since iv been on, iv had my super interview, just waitin on d background checks, if alls ok then medical and in!!! Its such a long waiting process. D super sent off my form on d 5th of june havnt heard anything since. I dont mind though it will be worth it in d end.
    They kinda did my whole thing arse-ways. First interview and written, then filled up form BR and had interview with d sargent on d same day when i dropped it in, then she gave it to the super who interviewed me a week later, he had my form br in his hand and he sent it to HQ that day!!! Anyone any ideas how long the background checks take??

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Balto

Hey guys .sent application in last week after recieving mail from pas reminding me to get application in as interviews starting soon for my region,How long until I'm called do ya reckon ?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭number13

Hi
    Just had a quick question bout the garda reserves. If sucessful would i have to tell my employer as i dont think he would look to kindly on it. also i work on saturdays but have a day off during the week could work on the day off during the week or is it just the weekends that can be worked
    thaks for you help

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

number13 wrote: »
    Hi
    Just had a quick question bout the garda reserves. If sucessful would i have to tell my employer as i dont think he would look to kindly on it. also i work on saturdays but have a day off during the week could work on the day off during the week or is it just the weekends that can be worked
    thaks for you help

They will more than likely contact your current employer. They work around you but yeah it is mainly weekend nights when bodies are needed

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

:D
    number13 wrote: »
    Hi
    thaks for you help

Hey number 7 oops thats 13...
    your employer will be contacted..
    what worries me though is have you told your mum about joining the reserves...?????
    :D.......

Hey, Was wondering if anyone has a response to my earlier post re:waiting times after sending in applications.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

Balto wrote: »
    Hey, Was wondering if anyone has a response to my earlier post re:waiting times after sending in applications.:confused:

No1 knows. Time varies greatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cathykelly

Hi all,

Ok, I really want to join the reserves... but I have a problem with the background check... a member of my immediate family is married to a person who's brother is in prison... and when I say he is trouble, I mean it(prob most notorious names in the past 15 yrs) Not going to say who, but if I did I'm sure you would all know him....Really embarrassed over the whole thing.. its the main reason I have never tried for the gardai. :( Neither me nor any member of my family have ever been in trouble and I even have an uncle in -law who is a retired sergeant. And on my uncle's advice I should go to my local station and talk to the super there....My uncle doenst think it should effect me as this country is so small that almost everyone has had a relation of some kind in trouble at one stage or another..and that this unnamed person isn't a blood relative...
    Really hope this isnt held against me but not sure.
    Now I'm just looking for yer advice before I waste anyone's time:confused:

Hi Cathykelly,
    I literally just got off the phone to a friend of mine who is an active sarge and he agrees with your uncle that there are very few who don't know or aren't related to someone who hasn't had a brush with the law , he reckons you should visit the local station and have a word to reassure yourself but depending on the severity you are pretty much ok.
    Hope this helps in some small way.;)

• Advertisement

Hey Spudz .
    From sending in application to interview how long were you kept waiting ?

Advertisement