Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cathykelly

hey Balto

Thanks for that, I'll prob head down today at some point but whan I say its sever. I mean it.....:(
    I'll let you know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

cathykelly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Ok, I really want to join the reserves... but I have a problem with the background check... a member of my immediate family is married to a person who's brother is in prison... and when I say he is trouble, I mean it(prob most notorious names in the past 15 yrs) Not going to say who, but if I did I'm sure you would all know him....Really embarrassed over the whole thing.. its the main reason I have never tried for the gardai. :( Neither me nor any member of my family have ever been in trouble and I even have an uncle in -law who is a retired sergeant. And on my uncle's advice I should go to my local station and talk to the super there....My uncle doenst think it should effect me as this country is so small that almost everyone has had a relation of some kind in trouble at one stage or another..and that this unnamed person isn't a blood relative...
    Really hope this isnt held against me but not sure.
    Now I'm just looking for yer advice before I waste anyone's time:confused:

if i were u id chance it coz all they ask for in back ground checks are immediate family members, aunts and uncles, they dont ask their partners so ur pretty safe id say....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Balto

Put PAS under pressure with a few emails to see if they could enlighten me as to when my interview would be cause god I hate waitin...............So they told me that I'm in octobers folder prob first 2 weeks , so goes to show that you don't have to sit in the dark and wonder ? wonder if that helps anyone or is even relevant just thought I'd share it anyway.........
    Any word from cathykelly if she visited the local station today or not ?
    Wonder if there's a way of gettin bumped up the list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Hi,
    this is my first time posting on this thread, just wondering if anyone has any information around this.
    I have just submitted an application for the reserve. I haven't been able to before as I worked in an exluded employment.
    I dont hold the leaving cert,(was an apprentice so did junior and senior craft Dept of Education exams) but hold a 2.1 honors degree and a Masters post grad(Mature student:D). As for 2nd language I have the french governments DALF exams from alliance francaise.
    the question is will I still have to look for an exemption from the LC and does anyone think I will run into problems.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Hi kiterunner ,
    Think you will have to look for the exemption but your external qualiications should grant you admission for interview based on the "special circumstance".
    Your a shoe in . I wouldn't worry about it .Hope that sets your mind at ease in some regard . :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Hi Balto,
    Thanks for that. I thought as much to be honest, it will probably delay the process longer than normal, though judging by the time scales people are quoting on the posts, who knows :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Does anyone No If There Are Any Medical Dates Coming Up??? I applied in 2007 and im currently waiting on my background checks to clear sice Feb 2008!:D

Does anyone No If There Are Any Medical Dates Coming Up??? I applied in 2007 and im currently waiting on my background checks to clear sice Feb 2008!:D

OMG since feb 2008???? im waiting on my checks to come back too since last month and im becoming impatient lol looks like its gona be a long wait....... i might call HQ tomorrow and see if they know anything about medicals coz aparantly ur medical can be done while ur waiting on background checks, if i were u id ring though thats a very long time to hear nothing, Garda Reserve HQ is 016662571.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

Dental Nurse,

If you do ring the HQ let us know here how you got on and what they said. i am waiting on a medical aswell having done the super and Sergeants interview about 8 weeks ago
    OMG since feb 2008???? im waiting on my checks to come back too since last month and im becoming impatient lol looks like its gona be a long wait....... i might call HQ tomorrow and see if they know anything about medicals coz aparantly ur medical can be done while ur waiting on background checks, if i were u id ring though thats a very long time to hear nothing, Garda Reserve HQ is 016662571.

billyhead wrote: »
    Dental Nurse,

If you do ring the HQ let us know here how you got on and what they said. i am waiting on a medical aswell having done the super and Sergeants interview about 8 weeks ago

ok cool im at the same stage as u then!!!! lol
    i will ring tomorrow and let u guys know tomorrow evening!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Rang today and i was told.......... Your application file is not yet complete and i cant give you anymore information :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

In the garda review for the month of april they wrote that the ban needs a rethink and it will be reviewed at this years GRA conference. Whenever that is!!! is that good enough authority for ya lol.... yeah every guard i know (and i know quite a few) has said that man power is low and thay will have no choice but to take more on very soon, i heard maybe around early next year :confused:

This years GRA conference already took place I think back in Late April or May. They were against the ban but don't think the Government took notice :rolleyes:

This years GRA conference already took place I think back in Late April or May. They were against the ban but don't think the Government took notice :rolleyes:

oh for god sake we're all f*ucked so if we're waiting on the government to make a decision on it!!! Thanks though i was wondering lol :)

Hey all ,
    The reliable source that I was referring to is actually a sitting TD (seriously) and the boysmaking the decisions are chancing they're arm to see how long they can keep it going to save as much as they can , which is kinda obvious .

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

With all of the stress caused by the An Bord Snip Nua its very interesting that the Garda Reserve was not mentioned for cuts in the report in the same way that the Reserve Defence Forces have been decimated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Spartan09 wrote: »
    With all of the stress caused by the An Bord Snip Nua its very interesting that the Garda Reserve was not mentioned for cuts in the report in the same way that the Reserve Defence Forces have been decimated.

yeah I was expecting something but no, you're right. I am relieved in a way, though I'm not sure what cuts they could instil being honest. They are only having one more reserve in-take this year from what I hear and at the moment the numbers aren't that high yet for said in-take (I do hope to be one of those numbers in that in-take though ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

from what i understand, the cost of training a reserve is recouped very quickly because you are actively involved in day to day operations, but the reserve defense forces aren't as involved day to day and have higher ongoing training costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

kerry4sam wrote: »
    yeah I was expecting something but no, you're right. I am relieved in a way, though I'm not sure what cuts they could instil being honest. They are only having one more reserve in-take this year from what I hear and at the moment the numbers aren't that high yet for said in-take (I do hope to be one of those numbers in that in-take though ;)).

Yeah it seems to be September for the next intake and Id love to be part of it too but as Im still waiting to find out about the BR check, medical and super interview it would appear unlikely for me at this stage....unfortunately.......

hey kerry, how long you waiting on medical, i presume they wait for background checks to come clear?

dkhill47 wrote: »
    hey kerry, how long you waiting on medical, i presume they wait for background checks to come clear?

howdi! not long enough to complain yet compared to waiting times by some people I know.

Have you handed in your formBR to commence your background checks?

• Advertisement

howdi! not long enough to complain yet compared to waiting times by some people I know.

Have you handed in your formBR to commence your background checks?

Monday morning, just waiting on written references, to be honest i dont mind waiting now:)

Yeah it seems to be September for the next intake and Id love to be part of it too but as Im still waiting to find out about the BR check, medical and super interview it would appear unlikely for me at this stage....unfortunately.......

I wouldn't rule anything out until the September in-take date has come and passed us. Anything is possible in this country these days, you could get one nice surprise. As someone told me very recently - keep the chin up ;)

I wouldn't rule anything out until the September in-take date has come and passed us. Anything is possible in this country these days, you could get one nice surprise. As someone told me very recently - keep the chin up ;)

yea i was told Friday that things cant move when people want it to, and they ware eager to get reserves in kerry? but once i get there ill be happy:rolleyes:

yea i was told Friday that things cant move when people want it to, and they ware eager to get reserves in kerry? but once i get there ill be happy:rolleyes:

Did you read the article on the reserves in TheKerryman :confused: (afair) a few weeks ago that only 4people in Kerry had applied for Reserves of varying age/experience/reasoning. I have to say I did find that surprising to read. I kept it now if I can only remember where that safe-place is I might scan it in for send it onto you if you wanna read of it?

Did you read the article on the reserves in TheKerryman :confused: (afair) a few weeks ago that only 4people in Kerry had applied for Reserves of varying age/experience/reasoning. I have to say I did find that surprising to read. I kept it now if I can only remember where that safe-place is I might scan it in for send it onto you if you wanna read of it?

no i didnt see it, but the women for PAS the day of the interview did say that interest in kerry was very low, and most were from cork over the 3 days. i think people are scared because Kerry is very local and some people mightnt like to see people they know, but if thats how you feel i suspose your better off not applying. its a very public position and some thing you need to be comfortable with.

no i didnt see it, but the women for PAS the day of the interview did say that interest in kerry was very low, and most were from cork over the 3 days. i think people are scared because Kerry is very local and some people mightnt like to see people they know, but if thats how you feel i suspose your better off not applying. its a very public position and some thing you need to be comfortable with.

From speaking to seveal people around here locally, your reason above is actually what is spurring more people to consider applying down here ie Kerry is very local. Everyone knows just about everything about everyone in the towns anyways.

I bet you'll be glad to get your checks started eh? I can't remember - have you have any meetings in your local station yet?

From speaking to seveal people around here locally, your reason above is actually what is spurring more people to consider applying down here ie Kerry is very local. Everyone knows just about everything about everyone in the towns anyways.

I bet you'll be glad to get your checks started eh? I can't remember - have you have any meetings in your local station yet?

yea, some one posted a few days sago about waiting to submit BR, i had it filled out before i found out i was successful, big family so hope that wont cause much delay, suppose wont get local meeting till after is submit my form monday. i suppose photocopy's of references i submitted before wont do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

yea, some one posted a few days sago about waiting to submit BR, i had it filled out before i found out i was successful, big family so hope that wont cause much delay, suppose wont get local meeting till after is submit my form monday. i suppose photocopy's of references i submitted before wont do?

Congrats Dk on passing:D:DYou must be delighted!
    I have a large family as well but they all live in the one area so hopefully that might go towards speeding it up a bit:)
    I know its been posted time and time again, but just to confirm next up is sergeant meeting, super meeting, medical and ongoing background checks, yea??:D

spudz21 wrote: »
    Congrats Dk on passing:D:DYou must be delighted!
    I have a large family as well but they all live in the one area so hopefully that might go towards speeding it up a bit:)
    I know its been posted time and time again, but just to confirm next up is sergeant meeting, super meeting, medical and ongoing background checks, yea??:D

cheers spudz, cant believe it:rolleyes:. delighted is an understatement:D, i have family in US and UK so hope that wont delay too much, If relative in US is deacesed, do they still run checks, i suspose they do! as for the next steps, i'm not sure if they necessarily are in any given order. i dont mind at this stage once i get there! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭spudz21

cheers spudz, cant believe it:rolleyes:. delighted is an understatement:D, i have family in US and UK so hope that wont delay too much, If relative in US is deacesed, do they still run checks, i suspose they do! as for the next steps, i'm not sure if they necessarily are in any given order. i dont mind at this stage once i get there! :rolleyes:

Yea, exactly, to be honest i probably won't be submitting my form for another week or two, need to sort a few details etc and have few other things on my plate at mo:D

If they ring you to ask what station will you be handing in your form to, does that mean thats the station where your sergeant, super interviews will be held??:D

Advertisement